IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

1 minute ago, StevO said:

The more I see it the more it looks like a hit and hope. I don’t think he even realises half the goal is empty. He doesn’t have the composure to look up, calm himself and roll the ball into the big gaping hole to his left. 

That’s the hallmark of someone who chokes in front of goal not a striker or someone you need to get you at least 15 goals a season, he needs to see a psychiatrist because it’s a head game when it comes to not panicking, someone needs to get into his head and calm in down, the more you look at it the worse it is, he could have took a touch looked up and slotted it to his left, there was no one with in 2 yards of him he plenty of time but pure panic seems to have taken control hence the awful finish, not good for any striker in any league but shocking for one in the hardest league in the world, he needs a break and some help. 

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That’s the hallmark of someone who chokes in front of goal not a striker or someone you need to get you at least 15 goals a season, he needs to see a psychiatrist because it’s a head game when it comes to not panicking, someone needs to get into his head and calm in down, the more you look at it the worse it is, he could have took a touch looked up and slotted it to his left, there was no one with in 2 yards of him he plenty of time but pure panic seems to have taken control hence the awful finish, not good for any striker in any league but shocking for one in the hardest league in the world, he needs a break and some help. 

Completely agree. That’s the difference between the best and the rest. A top level striker, lets say Aguero, he knows that’s clear before the ball comes to him and probably finishes it first time anyway. Even the very very good can take that split second to take a touch and look up before finishing. Then the players who aren’t used to scoring goals just try to smash it without taking the time to see what’s going on. I honestly think Gylfi takes a touch and finished that, even in low form. 

Dom needs a goal or he’ll find himself down the pecking order if Kean starts scoring. 

Dont know how anybody can slag him off for that,  anybody who plays or has played football will appreciate he did everything right, the ball comes across at speed, you dont get time to trap it and pick your spot, the coaches want you to hit it first time.

DCL caught it well, it was on target and all the coaches would have been pleased about that, the fact that there was four defenders on the line didn't mean he did anything wrong. I know he's not a 20 goal striker but Come on would any of you scored it.?

51 minutes ago, Bill said:

Dont know how anybody can slag him off for that,  anybody who plays or has played football will appreciate he did everything right, the ball comes across at speed, you dont get time to trap it and pick your spot, the coaches want you to hit it first time.

DCL caught it well, it was on target and all the coaches would have been pleased about that, the fact that there was four defenders on the line didn't mean he did anything wrong. I know he's not a 20 goal striker but Come on would any of you scored it.?

Another football player here. 

Great snapshot, but anyone with any common sense at all.. in the slightest... just even a slither.... knows that that is a milli second, and they also watched the keeper scrambling that way to close that gap. DCL done the classic “hit it back where the keepers coming from” as he doesn’t have the confidence or maybe even the ability, to compose himself and hit the inside of the post. 

But anyone looking at that picture and thinking that changes anything..... is sorely lacking in knowledge of a real breathing living game of football.... 

DCL should have buried that no doubt. And I think that miss may well have dented his low confidence much more than it should. But it’s what it is, a missed opportunity. Nothing more, nothing less. It was hit crisp, with intention, and on target. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

But anyone looking at that picture and thinking that changes anything..... is sorely lacking in knowledge of a real breathing living game of football....

Bullshit, look again he hits it sweetly, its on target, there are four defender's in front of him.  ffs where did you play your football and did you play in slow motion.  In the "real breathing living game of football" you dont get time to choose the direction of your shot in that situation. As far as I'm concerned he did everything right and comes out blameless.

The game was lost because the whole team played rubbish, its certainly not down to one man.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

Bullshit, look again he hits it sweetly, its on target, there are four defender's in front of him.  ffs where did you play your football and did you play in slow motion.  In the "real breathing living game of football" you dont get time to choose the direction of your shot in that situation. As far as I'm concerned he did everything right and comes out blameless.

The game was lost because the whole team played rubbish, its certainly not down to one man.

Sorry Bill, I was agreeing with you mate. I meant anyone thinking that still shot shows the true picture is lacking haha.

I agree with you. It was on target, hit well and with intention. He could and should have done better, but i don’t think it was a sitter at all. 

If he missed the target, then he should be holding his head in shame. 

Edit: I coach people to concentrate on connection foremost. Get a good connection on the ball, and hit it like you have the intention of scoring. After you can do that, then you practise on direction etc.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Sorry bill your talking nonsense. That’s like saying in “a real breathing game of football” you can’t choose the direction of a pass when your under pressure. Good footballers are footballers because that have thought process. Beckham if he wasn’t a footballer would struggle in the real world. On the football field he was a genius. The whole point of the argument is are we going to be having the same conversation all season? Yes we played shite but our number 9 missed a sitter. Should we be all clapping him because he made good “contact” with the ball? Whoopedoo 

8 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Sorry bill your talking nonsense. That’s like saying in “a real breathing game of football” you can’t choose the direction of a pass when your under pressure. Good footballers are footballers because that have thought process. Beckham if he wasn’t a footballer would struggle in the real world. On the football field he was a genius. The whole point of the argument is are we going to be having the same conversation all season? Yes we played shite but our number 9 missed a sitter. Should we be all clapping him because he made good “contact” with the ball? Whoopedoo 

Whoopedoo !! Ha ha the ball came in at speed, he made good contact, it was on target, what more can he do or  what more can he whoopedoo. 😊

Our fans seem to hover either said of a massive scale. 

If you think it was a sitter... it simply was because he should have scored. 

If you think it wasn’t as bad as being made out, you must think it was a good effort and applaud him for it.

Its the same in every argument haha not possible for some to think, ye it should have been a goal, but it wasn’t that bad.

I can see why matts answers have been blunt and straight to the point.... no point in anything else 😉

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Our fans seem to hover either said of a massive scale. 

If you think it was a sitter... it simply was because he should have scored. 

If you think it wasn’t as bad as being made out, you must think it was a good effort and applaud him for it.

Its the same in every argument haha not possible for some to think, ye it should have been a goal, but it wasn’t that bad.

I can see why matts answers have been blunt and straight to the point.... no point in anything else 😉

Got a couple of points I could make but people made their minds up and not a single post made me think it’s worthwhile explaining further. 

terrible finish. 

Compare the composure and finish of Aguero's first goal against Bournemouth overnight, more bodies around him, less time to see the ball come to him and react. Yet takes a touch and places it in the corner, that's where goal scorers place there shots if they don't have the time to pick there spot.

That's the difference, that's what a goal scorer needs to do. 

Cant believe the drivel on this thread. He should have buried that all day long. Yes, it may seem stupid to put 90 minutes of football down to one moment but that is what football's all about.

When a team plays well and scores 3 goals, a la Liverpool on Saturday, it comes down to the moments where the goals are scored to define how they played. Simple as. 

If you have players who miss chances then you dont win games. If we all just ask for good contact and for it to be on target we would be in League two in a few years. These guys are professional footballers. It does come down to that one chance, one moment that can define your career even. Im not getting on DCL's back. Its not his fault, he's doing his best. He's just not good enough for top 6 ambitions. All this crap about we play a certain way which doesn't allow him to get chances is an embarrassing, lame excuse Id expect from someone who knows f*** all about football. By the way, if anyone does think this, you need to get on Marco Silva's thread and ask what exactly he is trying to do with his tactics. If we had Mo Salah, Mane, Aguero, Kane or any other top goalscorer - you are telling me they wouldnt get any chances? Look at Mo Salah's goal the other night. So direct, he gets the ball and wants to score. Yes he's top drawer and maybe an unfair comparison. But is he really? What did he cost? 30 odd million from Roma? How much was Mane? You see where I'm going with this. We put barriers up to ask why on earth we cant get players of this calibre.  Our recruitment has been poor for years. We lack players with any instinct to score goals. DCL is not, ever, going to score a reasonable amount of goals at premier league level. I'd literally put my house on it. However, this thread will keep on going with excuses, and hard work, endeavour, and running the channels, blah blah blah,, while we keep on scoring an average of 1 goal every 3 games......

Would strikers in the teams above us have scored it? Aguero, Kane, Rashford, any of Liverpool’s three? Either of Arsenal’s two? 

I think Aguero does 9/10, the rest I don’t know. If we want to be competing and Dom wants to be leading the line, we need him to score chances like that. I hope he scores his next chance so this can be put to bed. 

Are you serious? Mo salahs banged in about 60 goals in the last two seasons. He can have an off day. In fact, he can have three off days. DCL hasn’t scored In about 15 games. Shall we give him til Xmas to see if he can score a couple?

if DCL goes up for sale tomorrow, who buys him? That’s how good he is.

For the record, I wasn’t defending DCL there. I’m saying if we are to progress we need our striker to be scoring those, I’m pretty certain Aguero scores it because that’s in his skill set. The others I’m not as certain, just asking if people think they would have scored it or not. 

34 minutes ago, sydneyneil said:

Are you serious? Mo salahs banged in about 60 goals in the last two seasons. He can have an off day. In fact, he can have three off days. DCL hasn’t scored In about 15 games. Shall we give him til Xmas to see if he can score a couple?

How many chances does Salah get thanks to Firminio making space? Who helps DCL? Any how, point is the kid had one chance and people are getting on his back like no other players ever miss. 

We could've challenged any of the teams below us for the strikers they've just bought but chose to stick with DCL. Bar Jimenez I'd rather the club kept DCL and money in their pocket to strengthen elsewhere. Apart from Man city and Arsenal DCL would be at worst second choice for any club. 

There's always an excuse with DCL. I dont wanna just slate the lad. As I said, it's not his fault, he tries hard. Unfortunately, people need to raise their expectations of what is required to break into the top 6.

Who helps DCL? If you go on the other threads on this forum, people rave about how good Bernard is and how Richarlison has doubled his value since joining us. (he hasnt by the way).

Also, I didnt see anyone complaining when we bought Gomes so clearly there are other players in the team who everyone rates. So basically, those players.

I know one thing, he can help himself by scoring from 6 yards out with a half empty net. Phil McNulty couldnt have put it any better in his tweet. He never looks like scoring, yet there are people who still want him in the team. He's not even good to have on the bench as he hasnt got a goal in him. Usually the bare requirement as a substitute striker.

The only thing which matters is results....we need to score more than the opposition. We have too many players who dont score goals. We have scored one goal in three games and had 6 shots on target. DCL isn't a scapegoat, he's just in the key position where goals are required. Trust me, I could wax lyrical about the two who started alongside him on Saturday but my fingers are getting tired....

One day we’ll create chances in a match and everything will change.

Its going to start with Bernard being replaced by Iwobi and maybe Gylfi being dropped. It could also be DCL being replaced by Keane, though I suspect the manager will try to bring him in slowly.

6 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

There's always an excuse with DCL. I dont wanna just slate the lad. As I said, it's not his fault, he tries hard. Unfortunately, people need to raise their expectations of what is required to break into the top 6.

Who helps DCL? If you go on the other threads on this forum, people rave about how good Bernard is and how Richarlison has doubled his value since joining us. (he hasnt by the way).

Also, I didnt see anyone complaining when we bought Gomes so clearly there are other players in the team who everyone rates. So basically, those players.

I know one thing, he can help himself by scoring from 6 yards out with a half empty net. Phil McNulty couldnt have put it any better in his tweet. He never looks like scoring, yet there are people who still want him in the team. He's not even good to have on the bench as he hasnt got a goal in him. Usually the bare requirement as a substitute striker.

The only thing which matters is results....we need to score more than the opposition. We have too many players who dont score goals. We have scored one goal in three games and had 6 shots on target. DCL isn't a scapegoat, he's just in the key position where goals are required. Trust me, I could wax lyrical about the two who started alongside him on Saturday but my fingers are getting tired....

They got 7 assists between them last year. People say Bernard has got a good partnership with Digne but myself and a fair few others have said he's not productive enough. Richarlison is frustrating and hasn't been settled in a role, that said he's more a goal scorer than creator. Then there's Sigurdssen who just doesn't suit the system. How often do you see any of these players drag a man away to make space for DCL? How often do they actually put a  decent ball into him? More often than not it's the other way with DCL creating the space. 

We've only had 6 shots and only two of those have fell to DCL. That reads very much like we have tactical issues. 

Gomes had a bad game. It happens. 

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

Edit: I coach people to concentrate on connection foremost. Get a good connection on the ball, and hit it like you have the intention of scoring. After you can do that, then you practise on direction etc.

Okay you coach 10 or 11 or something like that so you are now saying he’s at that stage of development in your words not mine, because according to you the next is to practice direction well Fergie when should we expect a professional premiership striker to be at the level of choosing the direction of his shot. 

12 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

Burnley!

I think people should sit back, relax, and look at this without wearing blue glasses, or blaming the lad for losing this game. So called "sitters" are missed in every game of football, even the greats who have been mentioned here. Aguerro and all the top strikers miss them in every game.

It might be a one on one with the Keeper and he hits the goalie with it, it might be a last minute tackle in the 

Six yard box people might excuse that by by saying it was a good tackle but he's missed a so called "sitter".

If we had won 3-0 nobody would have tried to tear the lad to pieces over this but we lost and we Evertonians unfortunately have to have someone to blame.  I will repeat myself once more and hope it sinks in, it came across hard and low, he hit it perfectly, and kept it on target, this is not Roy of the Rovers stuff like in the Comics this is the real Premier league football.  

My last word on it cos some  peoples views cannot be changed, they dont like admitting they have come to the wrong conclusion.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Okay you coach 10 or 11 or something like that so you are now saying he’s at that stage of development in your words not mine, because according to you the next is to practice direction well Fergie when should we expect a professional premiership striker to be at the level of choosing the direction of his shot. 

Easy this one. 

Steve Bull. Ever heard of him? 

Well this lad banged goals on for fun at lower levels, and I mean for fun. I’m lucky enough for o have had a sit down meal with him ( England 1 cap, 1 goal). He spoke about how all he ever did was hit a ball well, which is why he never made it to the top. Hit it well and you’ll likely score, unless your against a top six keeper.

Palfy, I’m sure you said somewhere you were a qualified coach and have your first badge. This is the stuff the teach you at the start, you already know the answers...... unless of course, you did it a while ago and have errr... forgot by now?

Im sure that’s it, you’ve just forgot that’s all. 

Ive managed U6s up to ameteur adults. Never managed semi pro yet I admit. U6s are by the far the most difficult to manage and coach. After that, it gets easier and easier.