IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Hell,yeah ! would love that, do it Marco

I would too. I'd think that we could leave DCL up higher bothering the CB's and almost employ a false 9 to try to pull the back 4 out of shape a bit - some combination of Kean, Richy or even Siggy, (or Zaha should he come) as the RM and the false 9. 

Just some food for thought on DCL. 

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang when playing for Saint-Etienne season 10/11(maybe 22 years old) got 4 goals and 3 assists in approx 2200 minutes.

Next season he got 18 goals and 11 assists from a bit over 3000 minutes.

compared purely because DCL is of similar size - less pace but more power.

17 minutes ago, Btay said:

Just some food for thought on DCL. 

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang when playing for Saint-Etienne season 10/11(maybe 22 years old) got 4 goals and 3 assists in approx 2200 minutes.

Next season he got 18 goals and 11 assists from a bit over 3000 minutes.

compared purely because DCL is of similar size - less pace but more power.

That maybe so but from what I’ve seen in this preseason he hasn’t looked anymore like scoring. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 and he does turn it round, but if he wants to emulate Aubameyang he needs to time his runs and get in the area, and when he’s done that learn how to finish his opportunities, not to much to work on 😀

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That maybe so but from what I’ve seen in this preseason he hasn’t looked anymore like scoring. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 and he does turn it round, but if he wants to emulate Aubameyang he needs to time his runs and get in the area, and when he’s done that learn how to finish his opportunities, not to much to work on 😀

Break out season coming up!

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

He only played 45 minutes pre season haha. Poor lad.... the moment Gana went he must have thought, here we go, I’m in for it.... Palfy is gonna rip me.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If he leads the line for us I seriously hope he scores more than 10 goals! 

i think between richarlison walcott gylfi bernard there will be plenty scoring, DCL isn't a fox in the box, he's like a deeney type or benzema type where they exist to support the players around them.  10 would be a good return plus 5+ assists.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think between richarlison walcott gylfi bernard there will be plenty scoring, DCL isn't a fox in the box, he's like a deeney type or benzema type where they exist to support the players around them.  10 would be a good return plus 5+ assists.

I get the Deeney reference but Benzema scored between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 throughout his career.

If your happy being Watford and floating in and around mid table and fighting a relegation battle every now and then, that great but personally I would like to see us aim a lot higher.

There also isnt many goals in Walcott or Bernard, the former unlikely to start that often, so it will be down to Richarlison and Gylfi again.

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I get the Deeney reference but Benzema scored between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 throughout his career.

If your happy being Watford and floating in and around mid table and fighting a relegation battle every now and then, that great but personally I would like to see us aim a lot higher.

There also isnt many goals in Walcott or Bernard, the former unlikely to start that often, so it will be down to Richarlison and Gylfi again.

benzema isn't a great example but when ronaldo and bale were on the wings he wasn't scoring, he was assisting, that's what i'm talking about.  when CR7 and bale were benched and it was Eibar Benzema would bang in 3 goals and he has that in him.  I just meant the first part.  Way to generalize Deeney's skill set to our whole team having to be like Watford.  Never said that, gross misinterpretation.  

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

benzema isn't a great example but when ronaldo and bale were on the wings he wasn't scoring, he was assisting, that's what i'm talking about.  when CR7 and bale were benched and it was Eibar Benzema would bang in 3 goals and he has that in him.  I just meant the first part.  Way to generalize Deeney's skill set to our whole team having to be like Watford.  Never said that, gross misinterpretation.  

It is and it isn't a gross misinterpretation. If they had a striker to bang in 20 goals a season would they be any better or worse than they are now? Personally I think he is bang average and I would have Gray ahead of him every time but you aren't going to climb the league if you don't have a striker that can contribute to close to 20 goals let alone just around 10. Jimenez managed 13 with 7 assists. If DCL got close to that number then it would be a good season for him but he isn't particularly an assist man either. The problem is that Wolves aren't even that much better than us. Utd managed 3 people with over 10 and Pogba with over 20 contributions in a crap season for them and then Arsenal have Lacazette and Aubamayeng with 35 between them.

If he doesn't score well over 10 then we will still be behind the team we want to be ahead of.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It is and it isn't a gross misinterpretation. If they had a striker to bang in 20 goals a season would they be any better or worse than they are now? Personally I think he is bang average and I would have Gray ahead of him every time but you aren't going to climb the league if you don't have a striker that can contribute to close to 20 goals let alone just around 10. Jimenez managed 13 with 7 assists. If DCL got close to that number then it would be a good season for him but he isn't particularly an assist man either. The problem is that Wolves aren't even that much better than us. Utd managed 3 people with over 10 and Pogba with over 20 contributions in a crap season for them and then Arsenal have Lacazette and Aubamayeng with 35 between them.

If he doesn't score well over 10 then we will still be behind the team we want to be ahead of.

just need 38 goals mate, 1-0 every match, simple math 😂

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

He only played 45 minutes pre season haha. Poor lad.... the moment Gana went he must have thought, here we go, I’m in for it.... Palfy is gonna rip me.

I like him mate he’s got a great work ethic he just needs to find that killer instinct, but how long can the club realistically give him when they are desperate to move up the league sooner rather than later. 

When you have spent in excess of 300M in just over 2 years you need a bit of instant success to start recouping on your outlay. 

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

He’s played bit parts throughout for me though. 

I personally think the club should give him this season to kick on and make a decision at the end. He showed at the end of the season what he can do, and deserves one more chance. 

To be fair, I think Marco, Brands, and the rest of the club.... seem to agree.

You can’t be one dimensional if you want to break the top six. You need to be able to mix up up with different profiles. DCL and Keane give us that. Either alone... are one dimensional... like we were with Lukaku.

I agree, he definitely has a part to play in our season just as he did last year.

1 minute ago, Finn balor said:

We need him to hit the ground running on Saturday 

If he gets the opportunity Saturday which he should do he better take it, because if he doesn’t he could easily find himself 3rd choice behind Kean and Iwobi, if these 2 signings don’t get him firing on all cylinders I fear for his future. 

41 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Start of the season (injury permitting) would have to be

Bernard DCL Richarlison

Iwobi and Kean will need time to settle in, before trying to displace Bernard and DCL.

Should get an extra gear out of Bernard and DCL knowing they’ve got competition right behind them. Good headaches to have!

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Iwobi won't play up front but I suppose Richie might get moved forward again.

He has in the past come on for Arsenal and been put up front with 15-20 minutes to go and scored, I wouldn’t completely discount him playing as a striker if Kean struggles to adjust. 

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He could if we go with a forward 3. 

Iwobi Kean/DCL Richarlison

He would still have to get back to track a full back so I wouldnt call him a forward. When I think forward I think of the main striker in our system. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

He has in the past come on for Arsenal and been put up front with 15-20 minutes to go and scored, I wouldn’t completely discount him playing as a striker if Kean struggles to adjust. 

I have just looked through Transfermarkt and they say he hasnt played up front for them from 2015/16 onwards. I haven't seen him play there but I don't watch them week in week out.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He would still have to get back to track a full back so I wouldnt call him a forward. When I think forward I think of the main striker in our system. 

I have just looked through Transfermarkt and they say he hasnt played up front for them from 2015/16 onwards. I haven't seen him play there but I don't watch them week in week out.

Not started but come on as a sub. 

23 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Transfer market say his position is Forward - Left Winger, trust he has come on as a sub been thrown up front and scored.