IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

He seems to be seeing less and less of the ball as we don't need him to be an outlet any more. There is lots of talk about him doing more for the team but he is doing less and less of it and is benefitting in the goals column as he is doing what he needs to. 

No he isnt. Don't over inflate because it suits your previous arguments regarding another player. 

He is doing much less work. His ability to bring others into play in these first 3 games and post lockdown is well behind what it was before that. He did really well at the end of todays game in getting the ball to stick but the previous 60 minutes it wasnt. His passing is down from last year, he has 1 clearance in 3 games compared with an average of 1 a game last season and generally speaking his defensive contribution is down on last season. The crucial thing is, that doesn’t matter because he is sticking the ball in the net and he is clearly playing the role Carlo wants. 

Are you actually watching him?  I guarantee most other forwards in the league bar firminho would struggle to do what he does.  

Next time you watch us break down a flank - watch what he does with the centre halves. He makes darting runs, to drag a defender away to assist the attack and then he finds space to move into.  All he was doing previously was the former not the latter.  The number of channels he has access to is less but you can only run one channel at a time so why would his output be any less? 

Had you noticed the amount of times he forced defenders to hit long rather than pick a pass?

His output is incredible, he won nearly all his duels yesterday. He was winning fouls in the half way line.

Clearance number comparisons are going to be binary after 3 games so I'm not sure why you are quoting them, especially after 3 wins.

Such a lazy narrative that he's working less, he's working smarter and scoring goals. Players can do both and he is proof.  Then again I did say this before and quoted tevez, Suarez, Rooney as examples. 

I'm not over inflating anything based on previous arguments ... If I wanted to point score I could list many points I made about DCL offering us more to the team than Lukaku for reasons we are discussing.  At this moment I'm merely telling people to stop getting carried away with a golden boot shout... He's not a natural finisher like Rom, he isn't solely driven by goals and personal achievements like Rom which is why he is a better team player and more suited to us right now. 

My stance on it all is summarised here .... 2017

5 in 3 is amazing and I think he’ll continue to score if he keeps getting service AND I love DCL but... Been thinking this since before the new season started... his collection of goals is quite strange And unconventional and unorthodox.

Loads of scrappy ones in off all parts of the body, and he seems to miss a simple goal every game. It’s not a criticism, but an observation: I know it doesn’t matter how they go in and god grant that he keeps doing it AND there’s loads more to his game than goals (he was brilliant in killing the game of in the last 10 yesterday). 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Are you actually watching him?  I guarantee most other forwards in the league bar firminho would struggle to do what he does.  

Next time you watch us break down a flank - watch what he does with the centre halves. He makes darting runs, to drag a defender away to assist the attack and then he finds space to move into.  All he was doing previously was the former not the latter.  The number of channels he has access to is less but you can only run one channel at a time so why would his output be any less? 

Had you noticed the amount of times he forced defenders to hit long rather than pick a pass?

His output is incredible, he won nearly all his duels yesterday. He was winning fouls in the half way line.

Clearance number comparisons are going to be binary after 3 games so I'm not sure why you are quoting them, especially after 3 wins.

Such a lazy narrative that he's working less, he's working smarter and scoring goals. Players can do both and he is proof.  Then again I did say this before and quoted tevez, Suarez, Rooney as examples. 

I'm not over inflating anything based on previous arguments ... If I wanted to point score I could list many points I made about DCL offering us more to the team than Lukaku for reasons we are discussing.  At this moment I'm merely telling people to stop getting carried away with a golden boot shout... He's not a natural finisher like Rom, he isn't solely driven by goals and personal achievements like Rom which is why he is a better team player and more suited to us right now. 

My stance on it all is summarised here .... 2017

I do watch him and I would politely suggest you don't watch enough of other strikers across the league. The difference this season is that whoever plays up front will know that they will be found with a pass if they find space and take chances with their runs. That makes a huge difference to a striker. 

I agree with you that he is working smarter, that is the whole point. It has always been the point. You won't score 20 goals a season if you don't play smartly and work hard to get yourself into positions to score goals. Lets also not kid ourselves in that with the service from James and Richarlison is far superior to the service any Everton striker has had for as long as I have been able to remember watching football. 

I still think he has a lot of room for improvement in his movement. Already this season there have been a number of times he hasn't anticipated the cross and got in front of his man but it is still early days for him under Carlo and with this group of players. I think that will only improve as this group plays together. 

I just find this whole thing ironic and that is what makes me laugh about your posts recently about DCL. It also doesn't surprise me that you don't see it and / or don't accept it.

Just now, pete0 said:

Haf only backed DCL as a dig at Lukaku. He wanted Tosun to play over DCL, and us to buy rashford for £70m with the Lukaku money.

Not at all true. Haf has always wanted a worker rather than a striker upfront, ideally both but with work rate more important in order to create more for the team. The argument against that logic then was that we had no one else to create chances/chip in with goals regularly, which is many (especially myself) accepted just the goals. 

The call for starting Tosun over DCL was that he was a better finisher, more experienced and a hard worker. He just turned out to be too slow; he was our Deeney. 

Rashford was an emerging talent, exciting. Still is in my eyes. So to spend a lot of the Lukaku money on him was logical. It still took DCL a season later to show his real talent. 

I think Dom comes across really well whenever interviewed - he’s just a really likeable character. He’s doing really well this season after tailing off (in a poor team) after the restart. I do feel we could do with another striker - I want Kean to be able to do it but it hasn’t quite happened yet. Ideally, we sell Tosun and Sandro and maybe get an ‘impact striker’ or maybe someone like King who can play a few positions including the main striker role.

Make no mistake he’s doing better because the team are better, could he improve you bet he can, for me he’s still not a clinical enough finisher, people are gonna say 5 goals in 3 outings what more do you want, well I want that open header from 6 yards out in the first half at WBA to go in not 2 yards wide, and the attempt yesterday when he tried to kick a ball that was in the air about the same distance out and completely fluffed it. 
There are going to be games where those sorts of poor misses will cost us dearly, his finishing needs to improve then everything will be there for him to become Shearer. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Not at all true. Haf has always wanted a worker rather than a striker upfront, ideally both but with work rate more important in order to create more for the team. The argument against that logic then was that we had no one else to create chances/chip in with goals regularly, which is many (especially myself) accepted just the goals. 

The call for starting Tosun over DCL was that he was a better finisher, more experienced and a hard worker. He just turned out to be too slow; he was our Deeney. 

Rashford was an emerging talent, exciting. Still is in my eyes. So to spend a lot of the Lukaku money on him was logical. It still took DCL a season later to show his real talent. 

What bit is not true?

59 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Make no mistake he’s doing better because the team are better, could he improve you bet he can, for me he’s still not a clinical enough finisher, people are gonna say 5 goals in 3 outings what more do you want, well I want that open header from 6 yards out in the first half at WBA to go in not 2 yards wide, and the attempt yesterday when he tried to kick a ball that was in the air about the same distance out and completely fluffed it. 
There are going to be games where those sorts of poor misses will cost us dearly, his finishing needs to improve then everything will be there for him to become Shearer. 

Even Messi and Ronaldo miss.  Your expectations are Perfection which is impossible

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

Even Messi and Ronaldo miss.  Your expectations are Perfection which is impossible

It’s not Mark they were glaring opportunities he needs to bury them, I’m not talking about half chances here they should be nailed on goals. 
Put it this way mate if I wouldn’t be commiserating with him for missing easy opportunities. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I see half superscout / half drug store psychologist has piped up.  Do me a favour matt, don't quote him on posts specific to me he's on ignore for the sanity of the site. 

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sorry. Just can’t abide bullshit

Me neither. ...  So hopefully this reinforces what you said and and proves that it is bullshit. .. 

Top post is in relation to Niasse...

On 14/02/2018 at 18:15, Hafnia said:

I'm not disputing cenk being a better footballer.  We've been crying out for a striker who is a footballer for a long time.  DCL is the best option in that regard at the moment but he is still learning and growing. 

Niasse football wise is on a par with how lukaku was... one minute he controls it well the next it bounces off him. However his work rate sets him aside and allows the midfielders an opportunity to get up the pitch. 

I dont get what allardyce is doing with tosun.  Odd. 

On 27/04/2019 at 17:20, Hafnia said:

DCL cant take the responsibility on his own.  We need a good striker and sell tosun and niasse. DCL will be a very good player for us but we need depth in that position .

On 19/03/2019 at 09:49, Hafnia said:

Oh no... I'm not suggesting for one second to sell. Let Tosun go - prob get £20m back for him.  DCL is part of the future of the club. 

I did a search tosun+DCL with hafnia as author.    

Regarding Rashford as "part" of the Lukaku deal.... Who I think alongside Greenwood is going to be the future for United:-

On 21/09/2017 at 12:39, Hafnia said:

Being unable to "add value" is better than being someone who creates "risk".

Nobody gave the ball away as much as lukaku in the league.  It was so costly to us at times.

I'm just gutted we never tried to get rashford as part of the lukaku deal.... he is gonna be a world class player. 

On 13/01/2019 at 18:10, Hafnia said:

We should have got rashford as part of lukaku deal. Unreal potential. 

On 03/05/2019 at 14:30, Hafnia said:

He was my shout to replace Lukaku before he went to arsenal. The other shout was to insist on rashford as part exchange. 

Granted.... I did tout Wilfried Bony as a player I liked but my crystal ball never showed him as doing a lukaku-esque "Let's get a big move and retire from being a professional"....

Regarding DCL & Rashford....

On 31/12/2019 at 16:13, Hafnia said:

They would make a great partnership IMO. We should have got Rashford when we sold lukaku, said it time and time again. 

Bullshit put to bed ....  

On 01/05/2018 at 10:22, Hafnia said:

He is gonna be mustard.  That goal at the weekend demonstrated a level of finishing you don't usually see from average players.  Similar to Kane, aguero and salah he has an understanding of where the post is having taken a look seconds before.... natural. 

On 17/09/2018 at 11:28, Hafnia said:

DCL is a player who we wouldn't have bought in if he wasn't already in the youth set up etc... he's a good prospect but for me he's not ready for what we are trying to achieve.  

A loan to Middlesbrough or someone is ideal. 

On 17/09/2018 at 13:44, pete0 said:

Given the style Silva wants to play he should be starting a head of Tosun and Niasse but he definitely shouldn't be put on the the wing. 

On 17/09/2018 at 18:39, Hafnia said:

Yeah he was an unsworth signing from Sheff United £1.5m unsworth actually did the interview when we bought him as being one for the future.

He scored 5 goals for the under 23's and got senior game time a few months later.

For me he was bought in to develop as a kid and that is the way I see him now.  He is not good enough to be operating at the level we are looking to be at this moment.  Too much pressure and he certainly shouldn't be starting.  A loan may do him the world of good. 

He's in the same bracket as solanke. 

Already had this argument with haf but here we go again.

Top quote, Haf is talking up Tosun, sure it doesn't take a genius to see he wanted him as a starter. Clear as day he didn't want DCL to be starting.

Don't let that egg on your face ruin your day lads.

Edit: His initial quotes on Rashford are in 2017 when he only saw DCL as a prospect similar to Solanke (although I wouldn't be surprised if there's older, can't be arsed checking) compared to his proof otherwise when we're on our third manager and DCL is on the verge of an England call up.

15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Already had this argument with haf but here we go again.

Top quote, Haf is talking up Tosun, sure it doesn't take a genius to see he wanted him as a starter. Clear as day he didn't want DCL to be starting.

Don't let that egg on your face ruin your day lads.

I've unblocked you for one short reply because no-one wants to witness your weird obsession with my posts....

So... 2 and a half years ago I said we should start Tosun over DCL? What's so crazy about that??? Playing a £20m experienced player (signed under the great Sam Allardyce) over a kid who had less than 20 full games who was still growing? 

Have I ever said Tosun is the future and we should sell DCL? No... Quite the opposite - I've been a fan of DCLs potential and seen his finishing maybe getting mechanically good like the one season wonder Harry Kane.  Did you see words like "at this moment" ... I.e "he's still a kid and needs to develop"

You never know... I may be crazy and say that Michael Keane should play ahead of Branthwaite one day.... Oh my days, wouldn't that be shocking.   

(Presses block button and everything is good) 

A little statistical context on missed opportunities ordered by top scorers last season

(Goals/Big chances missed) 

• Vardy (23/18)
  • Aubameyang (22/10)
  • Ings (22/8)
  • Sterling (20/19)
  • Salah (19/15)
  • Kane (18/7)
  • Mane (18/18)
  • Jiminez (17/9)
  • Martial (17/10)
  • Rashford (17/13)
  • Aguero (16/12)
  • Abraham (15/22)
  • Jesus (14/24)
  • Wood (14/20)
  • DCL (13/17) This season - (5/2)
  • Richy (13/5) This season - (1/2)

Of course a 'big chance' is subjective and is obviously not an accurate way of measuring this, however these stats give an incline of how many big chances forwards normally miss, and how Dom falls in line with this.

Just to add to this, taking into consideration the ages of these players we can see that unsurprisingly experience counts for a lot in terms of goals vs chances missed. 

And for arguments sake the following players scored the following amount of penalties - 

• Rashford - 6
  • Jiminez - 4 
  • Vardy - 4
  • Salah - 3
  • Aguero - 2
  • Aubameyang - 2
  • Kane - 2 
  • Ings - 1
  • Wood - 1 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I've unblocked you for one short reply because no-one wants to witness your weird obsession with my posts....

So... 2 and a half years ago I said we should start Tosun over DCL? What's so crazy about that??? Playing a £20m experienced player (signed under the great Sam Allardyce) over a kid who had less than 20 full games who was still growing? 

Have I ever said Tosun is the future and we should sell DCL? No... Quite the opposite - I've been a fan of DCLs potential and seen his finishing maybe getting mechanically good like the one season wonder Harry Kane.  Did you see words like "at this moment" ... I.e "he's still a kid and needs to develop"

You never know... I may be crazy and say that Michael Keane should play ahead of Branthwaite one day.... Oh my days, wouldn't that be shocking.   

(Presses block button and everything is good) 

Bull shit put to bed was your words. But there was no bullshtting other than you. But yet again Billy liar is left red-faced and rather than hold his hand up goes strawmanning away from the topic. Many a told you've played super scout claiming to have backed DCL all along. Solanke potential who needs a loan to Middlesbrough is hardly as strong the backing you like to portray.

Remember the first time you claimed to have blocked me. Hopefully you've found the button this time.

@Matt awfully quiet since you were the one who piped in.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I mean, if you can’t understand this then what’s the point in replying further?

Well played. You've probably saved yourself numerous wasted posts

"It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it'd damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person."

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

:rolleyes:  I’d expect you to understand the initial explanation which covered everything, but we can’t have everything. 

Not at all. Closest thing I can see is that you think it took DCL an extra year to show his ability. But that's nothing to do with the facts. He wanted tosun to start (turns out he didn't even think DCL should have been in the squad and would have been better off out on loan), he also wanted Rashford in the team ahead of him.

Have you even read it back? 

Further just like to comment on an old argument/bullshit from Haf giving it the biggun when claiming he'd backed DCL longer than I have and dragging up quotes out of context where I said he would start at Burnley. Still waiting for the apologies from that one.