IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

16 hours ago, Sir McGiven said:

he keeps suprising me actually. not totally but it's good to see he is improving than I was expecting, still can't see him being a top team striker though.

Most people didn't see Firminho as being a top team striker....  I personally wanted him above most other strikers in the league. 

Doesn't score many goals but the team do as a result of his all round game.

Ironically Liverpool have lost their last 3 games as a result of teams playing bigger strikers. 

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Calvert Lewin nominated for player of the month. Honestly if he doesn't get it then it's a sham. No player has been in better form since the start if the year than him.

Surprised it’s only for the month. The last 3 he’s been the best forward around. Won’t end up in any team of the year though, but that’s good for all concerned 

1 hour ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yep. The less attention drawn to our players the better

I agree with that sentiment totally, do you think we are still a selling club or do you think them days are over, I know we don’t want it tested but I would like to think that players with 3 years or more of their contract left we would say not for sale. 

On 01/03/2020 at 16:30, TallPaul1878 said:

I've no problem in holding my hands up and saying I didn't think the lad would make it and I'm chuffed to bits that I was wrong about him.

For once, I'm going to claim I was right. :)

On 09/04/2019 at 23:59, Cornish Steve said:

My late stepdad used to say of ivy that the first year it sleeps, the second year is creeps, and the third year it leaps. I get the feeling we're in the second year for DC-L and look forward to him leaping ahead next season.

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

DCL by a stretch.  He isn't the best finisher but ive said since day one he is so well rounded and his athleticism is a huge plus. 

Like I keep saying about Liverpool with Firminho... some centre forwards are measured more than just goals. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I've never rated Abraham. His purple patch surprised me tbh - he's very clumsy and doesn't have a lot of ability in my opinion. He won't be spearheading their attack for much longer, whereas DCL will be for us (or another top club if we can't satisfy his ambitions in the long-term).

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

All clubs are selling clubs if the right offer comes in. If Real Madrid say they want Dom and make an offer we can't refuse then he will be sold.

What I would say is that having a manager like Ancelotti is a big draw for players. Did Calvert Lewin and Holgate ever in their wildest dreams think they would be playing under a world class manager such as Ancelotti? That's a big reason for them to stay put.

Additionally I notice that Holgate is represented by an organisation including Rio Ferdinand. It is becoming a more common thing that ex-pro players are getting involved in the development of young talent. When you look at players who have left Everton such as Stones, Barkley and as far back as Rooney can you say that was really the best decision? Big clubs sniff around our players because they hope to buy them at age 22 when they are worth maybe £30m rather than wait for them to fully develop and be valued at £100m age 26.

True 

We’ve tied down 3 £70-100m players in the last several months. Not that that’s any interest to me, I’m more excited that we’ve kept some of the best talent around. if we need to sell, well have money to replace them. But I’ve no doubt that these lads are hear for the long term, and with Digne, Pickford and some others, we’ve really got something to be excited about for first time since Stones, Barkley and Lukaku. This time however, I’ve got a giddy stomach about it all rather that it just be rational logic. 

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

We’ve tied down 3 £70-100m players in the last several months. Not that that’s any interest to me, I’m more excited that we’ve kept some of the best talent around. if we need to sell, well have money to replace them. But I’ve no doubt that these lads are hear for the long term, and with Digne, Pickford and some others, we’ve really got something to be excited about for first time since Stones, Barkley and Lukaku. This time however, I’ve got a giddy stomach about it all rather that it just be rational logic. 

I’m with you Matt. If you can add a centre half, another midfielder and maybe a wide player with a left foot we could really be competing.