IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

On 07/03/2020 at 07:44, Shukes said:

So the question was, who would we rather have, Abraham or DCL? 
Not doing this to pick a fight though, more because I said Abraham was on a purple patch at the time and DCL was on a dry patch. Short term and long term are two very different visions.

Now we have watched them both for most of a season. Have people changed their mind? Has it become a closer race? Or do some still prefer Abraham?

I would still have Abraham. DCL is still the same player he was early season but now he has a partner, which happens to be our best player. 

You can never fault DCLs attitude, it's top class, but he isn't a very technical player and he doesn't read the game particularly well. Abraham is no Lewandowski but he is a better finisher, he has a better touch and his link up play on the ground is much better. 

If you want to pump balls long and win second balls DCL is your man. Basically a Shane Long mould of a striker and dont forget he scored 20 in a season one year. He wouldn't be at this level if it wasn't for his work rate and athleticism. 

If you want to play through a lone striker, I'd definitely have Abraham. Everything about him is just more refined.

Even if the only midfielder we signed in the summer (I think we need more than one personally) was in the Bruno Fernandes mould that would make such a massive difference for us. We've been crying out for that for god knows how long. Gylfi was supposed to be it but he's been too busy preparing for his role in The Invisible Man that's just come out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

I still love reading about how wrong I was. The lad has titles in his future. 

He’s still got ample room for improvement though. Young enough to reach what ever level he wants. We and he need to keep challenging him to push on. Absolutely has the potential to be an elite striker in my opinion

10 hours ago, Btay said:

He’s still got ample room for improvement though. Young enough to reach what ever level he wants. We and he need to keep challenging him to push on. Absolutely has the potential to be an elite striker in my opinion

I’m not worried about us challenging him, one thing I’ve admired from the start is his work rate; you don’t get that without serious self-motivation 

13 hours ago, Btay said:

We also have to show him that he doesn't have to move to keep challenging himself. It's not a one way street of him showing us things.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, London Blue said:

An impressive young man in all respects, so glad he is playing for us.

Hopefully he bags some goals for us today on the way to a win!!

He looked rusty (understandably like!) but still managed to play a beautiful ball for Richarlison to race on to in the first half that he should have at least gotten on target.

I'm a massive fan of his and I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses after getting a bit worried he wouldn't make it here.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I was so happy he went on and finished it. Good habit to get into with VAR at the moment.

Was crisp though, 2 touches then post and in 

Was hoping VAR would look at it and give us the benefit. Never going to get that lucky though are we 😂

9 hours ago, Btay said:

I was so happy he went on and finished it. Good habit to get into with VAR at the moment.

Was crisp though, 2 touches then post and in 

Me too,  improvement in finishing was the main criticism many had of him, I wasn’t overly critical but for me that’s improving by the day, we have a player who will continue to improve and seems a well grounded bloke. ( Moise Kean take note)

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Me too,  improvement in finishing was the main criticism many had of him, I wasn’t overly critical but for me that’s improving by the day, we have a player who will continue to improve and seems a well grounded bloke. ( Moise Kean take note)

I watched a training session of him in a promo video and some of the finishes had be scratching my head as to where this player was on match day!

Training and games are very different things but that disallowed finish was a suggestion that he is getting better.  He just needs to time his run better next time!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a little disappointed with his performances since we've come back. Maybe underwhelmed is a better word. It looks like the break came at exactly the wrong time for him and he's struggling to hit the same levels as before.

The effort is still there, as it always has been with him, but for me he's struggling to have an impact on games.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've been a little disappointed with his performances since we've come back. Maybe underwhelmed is a better word. It looks like the break came at exactly the wrong time for him and he's struggling to hit the same levels as before.

The effort is still there, as it always has been with him, but for me he's struggling to have an impact on games.

Ive actually been impressed by him.

He's not had a lot of sevice into him but I think he's looked sharp and has held the ball up brilliantly in the last few games.

His ball control and general hold up play have improved vastly since Ancelotti took over and he's turning into a really nicely rounded striker. He could have had a couple of goals already if luck was more on his side.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I agree. He looks like he needs the energy of the crowd. Still working hard, just needs that bit of luck. 

I was watching thinking, at last, we have a striker who can hold the ball up, give defenders a scare, and can run with the ball. Last night he had a quiet bit good game. 
Held the ball well, gave their defence a knight mate, which showed in the last twenty minutes as they didn’t want to hold onto the ball long.

One of his better performances without being much of a goal threat.

Just now, Shukes said:

I was watching thinking, at last, we have a striker who can hold the ball up, give defenders a scare, and can run with the ball. Last night he had a quiet bit good game. 
Held the ball well, gave their defence a knight mate, which showed in the last twenty minutes as they didn’t want to hold onto the ball long.

One of his better performances without being much of a goal threat.

carragher at one point highlighted that and said he's similar to firmino in that he doesn't need to score goals, its the overall package that he offers to the team that is so helpful.