IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

He's not a goalscorer in the sense that if he gets one chance it's a goal 

He's a goalscorer in the sense that he helps the team create more chances and he may get on the end and miss a couple and maybe nab one or more. 

Tough game today and he helped us see it out with sone well won could at the end

If he gets this many chances each game there is no way he won't go close. 4 chances last week and 3 goals, 3 chances this week and 1 goal. These are all really good chances too and they are all in or around the 6 yard box.

There must be some regression in those stats because it just cant continue like that but it would be disappointing if he didn't hit 20+ in all comps this season from here. 

I think we need to temper expectations not because he can't be golden boot winner but because I don't think he relies on goals - they don't indicate his value to the team.

For 3 years I went on about the need to have a striker who wasn't necessarily a great goalscorer but a player who could bring others into play.  I think I said an 18 goal striker who could hold up the ball and link up was more valuable than a striker who scores 25 and nothing much else. 

The reality is that Dom will probably get to 18 goals and he will do it by giving the team an outlet, assists, the ability to see out games by winning fouls, chasing down lost causes.  He will miss the odd sitter, may not burst the net from 30 yards, may score his goals by means of rebounds or tap ins.... But we will notice when he's not playing. 

He didn't have a technically great game today, he was up against tough strong centre half's, but he really did fight every step of the way .... He got his goal, probably should have had more but it was impressive watching him in the last 5 minutes - played like Alan Shearer in the sense that he won us fouls, got his body in between the ball and defender and took the hits. 

This is what a modern striker is all about IMO.  

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think we need to temper expectations not because he can't be golden boot winner but because I don't think he relies on goals - they don't indicate his value to the team.

For 3 years I went on about the need to have a striker who wasn't necessarily a great goalscorer but a player who could bring others into play.  I think I said an 18 goal striker who could hold up the ball and link up was more valuable than a striker who scores 25 and nothing much else. 

The reality is that Dom will probably get to 18 goals and he will do it by giving the team an outlet, assists, the ability to see out games by winning fouls, chasing down lost causes.  He will miss the odd sitter, may not burst the net from 30 yards, may score his goals by means of rebounds or tap ins.... But we will notice when he's not playing. 

He didn't have a technically great game today, he was up against tough strong centre half's, but he really did fight every step of the way .... He got his goal, probably should have had more but it was impressive watching him in the last 5 minutes - played like Alan Shearer in the sense that he won us fouls, got his body in between the ball and defender and took the hits. 

This is what a modern striker is all about IMO.  

With the midfield we have now he’s hardly doing any holding up. We aren’t going long or into him much unless it’s in and around the box. It suits him as a player because he’s getting goals. he’s not running channels anymore either.

11 minutes ago, MC11 said:

With the midfield we have now he’s hardly doing any holding up. We aren’t going long or into him much unless it’s in and around the box. It suits him as a player because he’s getting goals. he’s not running channels anymore either.

He's averaging more passes per game than the past 2 seasons. 

He's doing exactly the same work as he was but he is getting into the box rather than staying outside the area.  He's making strong runs to get in the area. 

He's winning more duels, actually involved in clearances from corners. 

His output is phenomenal.  

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Still some kind of stigma attached to him though. 5 goals in 3 matches and still people are trying to play his goals down.....

Goalkeeper should have saved it, that’s an easy chance, he couldn’t miss!

Not sure what it is some fans are trying to prove, but he seems unfashionable for some?

Like Haf said, look at him for what he is. He is a team player who can score, but also create chances for others by occupying defenders. 
His best moment today wasn’t his goal, it was challenging for unwinnable balls. 

12 shots in the league so far this season, 7 on target, 5 goals. What more could you ask?! 

2 hours ago, MC11 said:

He seems to be seeing less and less of the ball as we don't need him to be an outlet any more. There is lots of talk about him doing more for the team but he is doing less and less of it and is benefitting in the goals column as he is doing what he needs to. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He's averaging more passes per game than the past 2 seasons. 

He's doing exactly the same work as he was but he is getting into the box rather than staying outside the area.  He's making strong runs to get in the area. 

He's winning more duels, actually involved in clearances from corners. 

His output is phenomenal.  

No he isnt. Don't over inflate because it suits your previous arguments regarding another player. 

He is doing much less work. His ability to bring others into play in these first 3 games and post lockdown is well behind what it was before that. He did really well at the end of todays game in getting the ball to stick but the previous 60 minutes it wasnt. His passing is down from last year, he has 1 clearance in 3 games compared with an average of 1 a game last season and generally speaking his defensive contribution is down on last season. The crucial thing is, that doesn’t matter because he is sticking the ball in the net and he is clearly playing the role Carlo wants. 

56 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He seems to be seeing less and less of the ball as we don't need him to be an outlet any more. There is lots of talk about him doing more for the team but he is doing less and less of it and is benefitting in the goals column as he is doing what he needs to. 

No he isnt. Don't over inflate because it suits your previous arguments regarding another player. 

He is doing much less work. His ability to bring others into play in these first 3 games and post lockdown is well behind what it was before that. He did really well at the end of todays game in getting the ball to stick but the previous 60 minutes it wasnt. His passing is down from last year, he has 1 clearance in 3 games compared with an average of 1 a game last season and generally speaking his defensive contribution is down on last season. The crucial thing is, that doesn’t matter because he is sticking the ball in the net and he is clearly playing the role Carlo wants. 

Agree here. He shouldn’t be asked to defend much at all. His job is to hold it up when it’s called for but mostly to find that space in the box and be ready when the opportunity comes. I’m not sure he’s ever gonna be Harry Kane or even Jamie Vardy in terms of being able to create a goal in 1 v 1 situations but he doesn’t need to be to score 20 in the league as he’s proving so far. 

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I barely noticed him against Palace apart from when he scored, but am I arsed about that though? Am I like shite. Do I think the keeper should have saved it? Yes. But did he? No, so it doesn't fucking matter and it'll go down as a goal for him. Simple as that. Is he the best finisher around? No. But if we keep creating as much as we are then it won't matter because he'll still put enough of them away to win us points.

I'm enjoying him succeeding massively and so should all of us.

Nailed it mate