IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

I blame Sam Allardyce.  If he never "didn't sign Tosun"  and was a generally shite manager we wouldn't be having all this.... 

Me and MJB made the first positive comments about DCL so we own him now....  All ours ner ner ne ner ner

I drafted Patrick Mahomes in his rookie season.... Imagine what an unbearable prick I was in our fantasy league? 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I blame Sam Allardyce.  If he never "didn't sign Tosun"  and was a generally shite manager we wouldn't be having all this.... 

Me and MJB made the first positive comments about DCL so we own him now....  All ours ner ner ne ner ner

I drafted Patrick Mahomes in his rookie season.... Imagine what an unbearable prick I was in our fantasy league? 

yeah i've always liked DCL.  i can't remember if it was last year or the year before he came in for the first preseason match and it looked like he spent the whole summer hitting the weight room and slamming protein shakes.  he was busting out of his kit top.  it showed his determination to improve.  every year since then he's come in even more buff from preseason, he isn't sitting on a beach in the summer, i love that about him.  now look at him, shoving CB's aside with ease, no more string bean here, he's a proper 9 now throwing his weight around.

I’m sure I’ve written sometime earlier on this thread, I saw him at the end of a game a couplee of seasons ago, he gave his shirt to a lad in the Gwladys St end, without his short he was incredibly toned, like a flippin washboard, since then he’s bulked out and remained ripped giving him so much upper body strength and He’s still very quick running.

The last 15 minutes on Saturday he played a brilliant CF game, chased everything and won fouls slowing down any momentum Palace had.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/28/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekend-action

3) Ancelotti turning Calvert-Lewin into a proper target man

Amid his recent goal rush, it is easy to forget Dominic Calvert‑Lewin first broke into the Everton side as a winger. Only now is he coming of age as a centre-forward, a transformation driven as much by tactics as by technique. “He’s more focused in the box,” says the manager, Carlo Ancelotti, who has increasingly used Calvert-Lewin as a lone target man, with Richarlison in more of a support role. “He doesn’t spend a lot of energy outside the box.” This is borne out in the early numbers: while Calvert-Lewin is taking 4.3 shots per 90 minutes (compared to 2.9 last season), his passing stats and build-up play are well down, suggesting a player sharpening to a point: a forward increasingly focused on goalscoring output. Against Crystal Palace he had only 35 touches, fewer than any other Everton player, even Jordan Pickford. But most importantly, four of them were shots.

Ignore the first bit, because that didn't happen.

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Anyone still swap him for Harry Kane? Spurs had a boss midfield, were now seeing what DCL can do with one.

Yes. He doesn’t work as hard as DCL defensively or with his hold up play but he’s been a consistently great finisher for years. Love DCL but Kane has been an elite striker in the league for a long time. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yes. He doesn’t work as hard as DCL defensively or with his hold up play but he’s been a consistently great finisher for years. Love DCL but Kane has been an elite striker in the league for a long time. 

I really hope you’re on the windup 

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

I really hope you’re on the windup 

This shouldn’t be controversial. Kane is one of the all time great strikers in premier league history. He won the golden boot in consecutive years and has a chance to be the all-time leading scorer in the PL before his career is done. He should pretty easily end up #2 at worst. Love DCL and his consistent improvement but it’s not a fair or objective comparison at this point. He’s had an outstanding start to the season but anyone who thinks he’s now a better striker than Kane because of that is drinking the kool-aid a bit in my opinion. It’s a great month vs. a great 6 years. 

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

This shouldn’t be controversial. Kane is one of the all time great strikers in premier league history. He won the golden boot in consecutive years and has a chance to be the all-time leading scorer in the PL before his career is done. He should pretty easily end up #2 at worst. Love DCL and his consistent improvement but it’s not a fair or objective comparison at this point. He’s had an outstanding start to the season but anyone who thinks he’s now a better striker than Kane because of that is drinking the kool-aid a bit in my opinion. It’s a great month vs. a great 6 years. 

I completely get what you are saying, and you are not knocking DCL in anyway by your opinion, he is having a  fantastic run but he has to show this over an extended period before we can truly say he is equal or better than some of the great strikers who have played in our leagues. 
I believe he has everything in his armoury to achieve this, belief breeds success he now goes out with the belief he is going to score today, that belief is bringing his strikers instinct to the fore you can see he is naturally getting himself in the right place at the right time, he’s not second guessing himself by going into the wrong area’s or spending to much time outside the area trying to force something to happen, which we have seen a lot of in the past, when he was working hard but hardly in the area. 
We have a fantastic talent on our hands is it fair at this stage of his career to compare him with the likes of Kane and what he has achieved over the years no I don’t think so, but in time could he prove himself to be equally as good or better yes I think so. And this is why consistency comes into play and his belief will spur his confidence and this will help his consistency stay at a level where he can become a world class striker. 

Kanes lost a yard of pace, but will still rattle in 20+ goals a season even under mourinho.  Mourinho has him 

I said at the start that DCL could become a methodical finisher and elevate his game through hard work like Kane did.  Not an easy thing to do but it looks like he has .... That England callup looks like it's arrived - wish I put a bet on it. 

He's not a natural finisher, nor is he a good ball striker like Kane but he is as disciplined as they come and learns every day.  I'm glad we never made him a midfield player or sent him to Burnley

6 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Which means Kane (and I agree, he has been very good but not with the 6 year part, he was very similar to DCL starting off) is getting older and will get slower, whereas DCL is finding his feet. Nothing logical at for me, it’s completely illogical to trade past for present. 

15 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Happy for the lad, but nervous for him. International football may not be the best stage for his attributes... I don't want him getting hammered with expectation. 

If there’s one thing I’m not worried about is his confidence being knocked.