IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

• 7 months later...

If he is against homosexuality as part of his beliefs then it his right to not want to wear an icon supporting lgbtq.  

but it is also the rights of everyone else to think he’s a bigoted nob head and boo him, and I’m sure if he and his team mates are targeted with racist abuse then he needs to accept that he is the victim of the same bigoted mindset that he is supporting.

If someone gave me the choice to be heterosexual or gay - I would choose to be heterosexual.  If someone gave me the choice to be white or black, I would choose to be white.  Why??? Cos life is easier when you don’t have to deal with bigots.   Is he stupid enough to think that sexuality is a choice? 

what a nob. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I loved him while he was here but I don't like players having second spells. They rarely work out well.

Also, if it's true I think it shows just how restricted we are there this summer.

Yeah good player but his legs are gonna start to go at a position where you need tons of energy. We already have one of those.

3 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yeah good player but his legs are gonna start to go at a position where you need tons of energy. We already have one of those.

Not to mention he's another one that goes tearing around the pitch, rather than sitting in. We need someone that's disciplined, not a heat-seeking missile.

On 15/05/2022 at 16:35, Romey 1878 said:

Don't care about his sporting merits or lack thereof, we'll be divided on what he brings to the team. The above makes this an absolute no for me. He's certainly not good enough for me to consider changing my moral compass haha. As i said before loved him when he was here and he never exhibited this behavior. 

Loved the guy and watched him prosper at PSG when certain PPPeople expecting him to fail… not mentioning any names thoughP I wouldn’t do thatP!

But at this end of his career, we shouldn’t be going near him. I also agree that seeing his stance on the rainbow shirt made me lose a massive amount of respect for him.

47 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not to mention he's another one that goes tearing around the pitch, rather than sitting in. We need someone that's disciplined, not a heat-seeking missile.

He’s had a very good career as a heat seeking missile. If we play 5 at the back I’d be happy to let someone fly around making tackles. I just think it unlikely he’s gonna be able to do that over a long season at his age. Though now that I think of it the prospect of him and Allan switching off and getting to rest a good bit has some appeal. As always, would depend on price 

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

He’s had a very good career as a heat seeking missile. If we play 5 at the back I’d be happy to let someone fly around making tackles. I just think it unlikely he’s gonna be able to do that over a long season at his age. Though now that I think of it the prospect of him and Allan switching off and getting to rest a good bit has some appeal. As always, would depend on price 

Of course he has, and it was something I loved him for, but that's not the type of defensive midfielder we need at this time.

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Loved the guy and watched him prosper at PSG when certain PPPeople expecting him to fail… not mentioning any names thoughP I wouldn’t do thatP!

But at this end of his career, we shouldn’t be going near him. I also agree that seeing his stance on the rainbow shirt made me lose a massive amount of respect for him.

😂 Pleased to hear it you nutter. 

11 minutes ago, RPG said:

I saw an interesting viewpoint on the ‘Rainbow’ issue recently from one of the guys in Australia who also refused to wear the shirt. In essence, what he said was this: “My personal beliefs do not allow me to condone this type of behaviour but I was happy to keep my personal beliefs to myself until now. I feel that being told to support any issue by my employer violates my right to my own opinion (which, in this case was publicly neutral) but, whilst I have refrained from publicly criticizing this behaviour in the past, my beliefs will not allow me to actively support it now. The club has put me and others in a very difficult position by making assumptions on our behalf that they had no right to and it is the club that I have an issue with, not the LGBT community.”

Quite an articulate and well reasoned response I think.

I don't think wearing the shirt suggests you "actively support" anything, other than equality.

37 minutes ago, RPG said:

I saw an interesting viewpoint on the ‘Rainbow’ issue recently from one of the guys in Australia who also refused to wear the shirt. In essence, what he said was this: “My personal beliefs do not allow me to condone this type of behaviour but I was happy to keep my personal beliefs to myself until now. I feel that being told to support any issue by my employer violates my right to my own opinion (which, in this case was publicly neutral) but, whilst I have refrained from publicly criticizing this behaviour in the past, my beliefs will not allow me to actively support it now. The club has put me and others in a very difficult position by making assumptions on our behalf that they had no right to and it is the club that I have an issue with, not the LGBT community.”

Quite an articulate and well reasoned response I think.

I think your talking about the issue in the NRL this week. There were 7 players who were stood down by the club as they refused to wear the rainbow shirt  as it conflicted with their personal/religious beliefs. Caused a stink in Australia with opinions massively divided on the rights of the players.

4 minutes ago, RPG said:

Yes, that’s it. Before anyone lights the blue touch paper, my understanding is that the players have no issue with the LGBT community as such. They were quite happy to continue following Bill Clinton’s ‘Don’t ask, Don’t tell’ advice but this forced them into a corner and their issue is with their club that did this and not with the LGBT community in any way.

🤔 They obviously do have an issue with LGBTQ don’t they? They just didn’t want to make it public. 

I loved Gana as a player, and as a player I would want him in our team, but I believe everyone is equal regardless of religion, race, colour, sexuality, and anything else I can think of. I’m not sure I’d be happy having a player in the team doesn’t believe in equality.