IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

9 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

People happy to wave goodbye to our best players are the same people that are happy to moan that we're terrible. 

Pickford shouldn't be sold under any circumstances, as doing so makes us so much weaker.

99% agree but if it really is stupid money, like £75m+, you have to consider it. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

99% agree but if it really is stupid money, like £75m+, you have to consider it. 

I am sure this is the opposite of what you said in the Demarai Gray thread earlier this year! 😋

Yes selling Pickford would make us weaker in that position but I don't think it would cost us much (in comparison) to find a long term replacement. It is another one of those where you would like to have the replacement at the club already, ready to break through so that we could sell Pickford without worrying about which waste of space the club was going to spunk the money on!

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I am sure this is the opposite of what you said in the Demarai Gray thread earlier this year! 😋

Yes selling Pickford would make us weaker in that position but I don't think it would cost us much (in comparison) to find a long term replacement. It is another one of those where you would like to have the replacement at the club already, ready to break through so that we could sell Pickford without worrying about which waste of space the club was going to spunk the money on!

Gray wasn't going to command more money than his replacement would cost, Pickford will and then some, that's the key difference ;)

I'd still rather not sell him. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Gray wasn't going to command more money than his replacement would cost, Pickford will and then some, that's the key difference ;)

I'd still rather not sell him. 

I disagree with the first bit, but the original point I made was that I would sell him for a good offer, as I would with Pickford.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I disagree with the first bit, but the original point I made was that I would sell him for a good offer, as I would with Pickford.

The down fall to that is you won't get a good offer for Gray, to be honest I don't think we would get an offer period. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The down fall to that is you won't get a good offer for Gray, to be honest I don't think we would get an offer period. 

He’s the sort of player a promoted team is likely to take a chance on. “If” it clicks for him, he could signal handily keep a team up. Personally I think we need to find a real goal contributing winger & have Gray has a back up.

On 27/11/2022 at 02:25, Matt said:

Absolutely. I don’t think any fan is pushing Pickford out the door but if I stupid offer comes in & we can make another Pickford like signing for 25-30 million + 2 first team players, it’s a no brainer for me.

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Absolutely. I don’t think any fan is pushing Pickford out the door but if I stupid offer comes in & we can make another Pickford like signing for 25-30 million + 2 first team players, it’s a no brainer for me.

Agree, I think it’s more of an acceptance that he will move for trophies at some point

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

There were rumours of a decent offer in the summer and I would argue you would get a better offer than he is worth!

16 hours ago, Btay said:

This issue is, we could sign those players and they all be absolutely garbage!

Well run clubs do this though. They sell when the market is high for a particular player and then reinvest. This is all a bit fantasy but if the rumours where true in the summer, we could have sold Gray for double the price we could have brought in Kudus. I am very aware that the reality is we would have sold Gray and brought in a new tea lady though!

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

There were rumours of a decent offer in the summer and I would argue you would get a better offer than he is worth!

Well run clubs do this though. They sell when the market is high for a particular player and then reinvest. This is all a bit fantasy but if the rumours where true in the summer, we could have sold Gray for double the price we could have brought in Kudus. I am very aware that the reality is we would have sold Gray and brought in a new tea lady though!

Rumours! You can't live off rumours, what do you think he's worth and who do you think we could replace him for the same money. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Or a tea man or tea person.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Rumours! You can't live off rumours, what do you think he's worth and who do you think we could replace him for the same money. 

Haha unfortunately it is all we have to go on as my value of players and the markets value are two different things!

I wouldn't want to see us pay any more than £15 mil for his type of player which was the same type of price we were supposedly looking at for Kudus. Aribo went for less than that and he probably has the same output as Gray. Hell, Nathan Redmond went for a free and he can run into the same blind alleys and play some equally bad final balls as Gray!

I actually imagine there a few entries at Crufts that could do a similar thing!

Gareth Southgate has praised Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford for reaching the 50-cap mark when England play France on Saturday.

“What is the stand-out thing is that he’s handled being the England number one really well," Southgate said of the keeper who made his senior England debut aged 23 in 2017.

"It’s not an easy role to have, there’s a lot of focus on it, a lot of spotlight. There have been credible alternatives at certain times that put that position under pressure but he’s maintained a really high level of performance for us right through that period.

“It’s a fantastic individual achievement. There’s still only a low number of players that get to 50 caps and to do that you’ve got to have a decent period of time as an England international. For them it’s important. And that experience for us, you do go through different experiences that England nights and tournaments bring.”

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of stories around of club being after Pickford. Spurs, United and Chelesa. 

I Think Pickford has been one of the few standout bits of transfer business over the past few year. The right quality at the right age. Not mad on the idea of losing him, the only deal for me would be some cash and Dean Henderson from Man U. Think Henderson would be a ready made replacement. 

18 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Lots of stories around of club being after Pickford. Spurs, United and Chelesa. 

I Think Pickford has been one of the few standout bits of transfer business over the past few year. The right quality at the right age. Not mad on the idea of losing him, the only deal for me would be some cash and Dean Henderson from Man U. Think Henderson would be a ready made replacement. 

I said the same a few weeks back, and after Monday raising funds looks more needed than ever.

21 minutes ago, StevO said:

Pickford is an ideal target for click bait. He’s by far our most high profile player, being Englands number one. 
I expect to see stories about him leaving every day in January, most of them will be made up. 

I hope they are made up because playing the rest of a relegation battle with Begovic in goal will be disastrous.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently neogations have been ongoing with Pickford unprepared to sign a new deal at this moment in time, if true I would say him and his agent are waiting for better offers from else where. Very much looking like he will be gone if not Jan then in the summer. 

42 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Apparently neogations have been ongoing with Pickford unprepared to sign a new deal at this moment in time, if true I would say him and his agent are waiting for better offers from else where. Very much looking like he will be gone if not Jan then in the summer. 

That's quite different to the last reports that he'd agreed the new contract and the board were the ones holding it up.

Most reports are bollocks so it's easier just to not believe anything,

If I was him, I would be thinking lets see what league we are playing in next season.

There will clearly always be suitors for him but a big contract makes it more difficult for him, especially as I doubt any of the clubs with good finances will go after him. 

Pickford is a better keeper than Pope but the latter only went for an alleged £10mil and would have been on far lower wages. Ramsdale went for £24mil and again would have been on far lower wages. I'm not sure how many clubs that want a keeper will be able to afford him.

I would hate to see him go, but if United / Chelsea / Spurs do go after him to be their No 1, then I struggle to see how we keep hold of him this summer. We can't double his wages, and in all likelihood he would be offered +£200K to be number 1 at these clubs and still be nowhere near being one of their top earners. The top 6 really do operate in a league of their own financially. What can we actually really offer footballing wise or financially over any of these clubs? other than playing new stadium in 18month time!! This will be Pickford's big payday contract and over a 5 year contract he probably be £20- 30M better off in wages. How does a player turn that extra money down?

As we have no replacement waiting in the wings, best deal I could see for us if Pickford did move on is Dean Henderson coming our way permanently as part a deal with United - can't see him wanting to continue at United if Pickford becomes No.1.