IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

I see that Everton goalkeepers are being discussed and as a result, wanted to confirm yet again the fact that Sir Timothy Howard, ''Lord of New Jersey and both Goodison Park Penalty Areas'' is the greatest goalkeeper not only that Everton have seen, but the greatest goalkeeper that has been known to mankind. It's often whispered around ITK's that Neville Southall, Nigel Martyn, Gordan Banks, Peter Shilton and Massimo Taibi all prayed in front of a portrait of Mr. Howard at one stage of their careers and begged for his wisdom to be passed onto them - in popular culture, this practice it is known as ''Timothyism'' and is performed in all four corners of the world. The followers of Timothyism have devoted their life to seek out how and why Sir Howard was blessed with such goalkeeping greatness but as of today, the 18th of Octoward 2022, nobody has come close to explaining such godlike abilities.

With no answers yet, all continue to bow their heads each sunrise and chant at their loudest ''O Timothy, O Timothy, how art thou blesseth with such power?''. 

I agree with a lot of the (humour comments about players past and present, the only thing you can compare is Big Nev was the best goalkeeper in his day, in his league, in Europe, and writer's player of the year, everyone wanted to sign him.

All other names mentioned were never even the best keeper in their league. And people have forgotten that our TIm was prone to a lot of schoolboy errors.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I fail to see how fair comparisons can be made with keepers of yesteryear and today, when so much has changed within the game, such as equipment and the ability of outfield players. Even Southall has said the ball today travels faster and swerves unexpectedly, and that more outfield players have the ability to hit a whipping dipping ball from distance into area's no keeper can get close to. Southall was one of the best in his era no doubt even maybe the best, and Pickford is one of the best now all though not the best. 

There wasn’t anyone remotely close to southall in his era, jean Marie pfaff was supposed to be the best…. Not even bloody close.  He is the one player we had since maybe Alan Ball who we could say was the best in the world in his position. 

8 hours ago, Btay said:

Fair mate Southall & Martyn were before my time. I seriously rated Howard at his best as well. I’m not saying Pickford is on their level but he is a good player for us.

Really hope he has a good game against Newcastle.

He's not. He's at a considerably higher level. Tim Howard, with different citizenship, would not have been England #1.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, Henderson - all are a level above Howard at the same stage of his career.

It’s seriously hard to compare. I feel Howard’s reputation is compromised because he was with us for a year or so too long. Remember some great saves & moments from him during his time with us.

13 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, Henderson - all are a level above Howard at the same stage of his career.

None of them are as good as Howard. Howard was far more rounded than all of them, Pickford a better shot stopper but that’s it. 

the standard of goalkeeping when Howard was playing was higher, he was replaced by van der saar at United.  The latter seasons clouded judgement of how good Howard was for us. 

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

He's not. He's at a considerably higher level. Tim Howard, with different citizenship, would not have been England #1.

Considerably higher?  Howard was a better keeper imo.   His highlight reel would have been less Hollywood than Pickford but his positioning was levels above, command of area levels above.  His organisation and calming effect on back 4 much better.

I think its quite tough to compare the two. They are both good keepers but in different ways. 

Howard for me was excellent at the basics, really solid and reliable and on the whole you could count on him to make the saves he should. 

Pickford is a lot more 'flambouyant'. He makes some saves he has no right to but he also drops some clangers. He is probably a bit too busy for my liking. I think keepers should be relatively calm on the whole, but be able to give a massive bollocking when its needed. Pickford is a live wire all the time but he is calming down. His work on the ball is a lot better too. 

Another defence of Pickford over Howard is that the latter had a much better and consistent defence to play behind. 

On 17/10/2022 at 23:00, Gwlad all over said:

I agree Jordan has matured a lot from where he was mentally but still maintain that the Toon mob can easily wind him him up in a negative way. They are on a roll and I hope he will cope with the needle he will get.

He didn't but I guess that the Toon Army couldn't be bothered, they knew they would win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If he has a good World Cup & performs consistently over the remainder of the season we should get a good fee for him. No way are we selling him in January though. 

Be sad to see him go as it will be another one of our better players leaving to pay off our mistakes of previous years.