IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Me too but, as you know, it’s something I thought would be happening for a while. 

If it comes to pass then I’m not sure I’d ever forgive or trust Moshiri again. 

I think we're all starting to realise what kind of owner we've got. Let's hope we don't end up being dragged down like Villa and Sunderland because of it. 

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

There's a tweet saying its sourced from Rooneys agent that he refused to play under allardyce again.... told the board. 

I would love that, but I really don’t see Wayne going behind his back in that way. I’d expect him to tell Bill he needs to get rid, but still want to help on the pitch. 

12 hours ago, StevO said:

I would love that, but I really don’t see Wayne going behind his back in that way. I’d expect him to tell Bill he needs to get rid, but still want to help on the pitch. 

Whatever has happened it's abundantly clear that Rooney has had some sort of fallout with the Toby jug.  

Although he has been one of our standout performers for this season, (mainly the first half) it is essential that Rooney moves on for the further development and progression of Everton. 

He is a natural number 10. Unfortunately, Sigurdsson must hold the starting spot for this position. Moving him on to the left to accommodate Rooney leaves us with a severe lack of pace and flair in the final third.

Putting Rooney into a deeper role allows for him to switch the play with long accurate passes. But also leaves us vulnerable at the back as he is far from even an average defender and seems unable to pass the ball 5 or 6 yards whilst in this deeper role. Add that to a lack of pace and there is trouble. This also means he has to have runners around him which is something, In my opinion Everton need to get away from.  Why put the onus on someone else to do the running for him when we could put a more physically rounded player in his position.

There is no natural role for Rooney left to play at Everton. All he is becoming is a hindrance to our progression as a club and needs to leave this summer.

That last paragraph hits the nail on the head. The only position I can see him playing is up front, maybe off the bench. You dont see players like him in this league playing into their 30s in midfield. They are either deep midfielders (converted from box to box midfielders - Gerrard or Yaya) or they play up front generally not starting every game.

I have been hoping that Rooney would not leave Everton, perhaps for emotional reasons.  But both Aiden and Bailey are persuasive.

I had hoped that Rooney’s long passing would make him a good deep lying playmaker.  It didn’t work out, so Rooney’s only possible role, as Bailey says, is up front.

I will say, we are hardly flush with goalscorers, so unless we sign a proven or likely goalscorer, Rooney’s leaving takes with him some desperately needed goals.  We can’t afford to lose even a 5-goal player, without a certain replacement.

And as for Rooney himself, is he really physically capable of playing regularly in the American summer heat this season?  When, beginning in July?  So I’ll hold out, emotionally I guess, for the prospect that Rooney might wait to speak with our new manager, and maybe - maybe - stay and play part time at Everton in the Fall, then decide whether to take a winter break and join DC United for their 2019 MLS season.

I think he probably does still have a role to play as a goal scorer. I have mentioned about DCL needing to go on loan and therefore without even needing to buy another player you you have 3 strikers of Tosun, Rooney and Niasse with the latter two being completely different to deal with different situations. Rooney when you need more guile and Niasse when you need someone to bludgeon their way through a defence.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I dont see how he would fit in under Silva and with all things considered I think it is probably right that he goes.

Yep. Hard to see what role he can play.

Glad he came back and gave it a good honest go, but if he desires to play every week, he's going to have to move to an easier league.

10 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Yep. Hard to see what role he can play.

Glad he came back and gave it a good honest go, but if he desires to play every week, he's going to have to move to an easier league.

this is despite him being our top scorer last season and not playing too often?  I want  him to stay another season at least he is still good enough imo.  besides  he will one day be a manager and if he is good enough for that I think he could be good enough for us.

29 minutes ago, rubecula said:

this is despite him being our top scorer last season and not playing too often?  I want  him to stay another season at least he is still good enough imo.  besides  he will one day be a manager and if he is good enough for that I think he could be good enough for us.

But where would he play?

In midfield he lacks the legs to keep up, and his positional sense is poor, not to mention his passing is quite wayward.

In attack we have better options now, and hopefully with reinforcements to come.

Plus if he plays he is arguably keeping out better players (Siggy).

Thanks for the memories Wayne but best for both parties if he moves on, rather than staying on too long and disappointing fans with poor performances that will tarnish his legacy. 

11 minutes ago, London Blue said:

But where would he play?

In midfield he lacks the legs to keep up, and his positional sense is poor, not to mention his passing is quite wayward.

In attack we have better options now, and hopefully with reinforcements to come.

Plus if he plays he is arguably keeping out better players (Siggy).

Thanks for the memories Wayne but best for both parties if he moves on, rather than staying on too long and disappointing fans with poor performances that will tarnish his legacy. 

How about player coach, our best ever manager was a player manager when he took over.  I think we could use his knowledge, and he could still provide cover …..