IGNORED

Sandro Ramirez

26 minutes ago, London Blue said:

At least a large part of his wages will be of the books for a season and he gets another chance to impress and find a new home.

He’ll be loaned out until his contract is up. No way we’ll get anyone to buy him unless he has a freak season. 

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’ll be loaned out until his contract is up. No way we’ll get anyone to buy him unless he has a freak season. 

True, as long as his wages (or event most of them) are paid by someone else until he goes then that's a win for us, given his lack of success anywhere since he signed for us.

1 hour ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

It's unfortunate that he's kept the number 9 shirt hostage for three seasons.

I think if they had anyone they wanted to give it to they would have. 

Mirallas had the 11 when Walcott signed, then he had 8 when Gomes signed. Maybe they just don’t like Kev. 😂

Would giving anyone a shirt number make them a better player I’m not so sure, although I do realise that certain numbers in a team do hold a prestige status which could give a player a shot of confidence for a short period, but ultimately you have to be able to do your job no matter what number is on your back. 

Strikers need to score CB’s need to defend and CM’s need to dominate the middle, and whether your wearing 4,7 or 9 won’t make you any better than if you were wearing 14,17 or 19.

So for DCL to really cement his place In the team he needs to score goals regardless of what number he is wearing. 

Having a number does make a difference, or rather it did to me, and does to the children I coach.

It motivates you to perform if your following the tradition of Everton centre forwards. Or again... it would motivate me. A bit like giving certain players the captains armband.

I know on a kids level, they go back and research players in their favourite team.

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

I have if you read it said it could give you a shot of confidence or as you said motivates but if your not good enough the number doesn’t make you better in the long term or the short term as Sandro showed. 

I don’t disagree that if your not good enough, it won’t change that. 

I just think it can motivate players to put that extra % in. I know when I was first made captain of our team, it motivated me to be a better person on the pitch. This mentality transferred into my play, and I became useless!

Which was a step above what I was previously.

23 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I just think it can motivate players to put that extra % in. I know when I was first made captain of our team, it motivated me to be a better person on the pitch. This mentality transferred into my play, and I became useless!

So much about probably all sports is in the head (as is much in life, eg placebo effect in medicine); I know for example that from way back when I was playing a couple of sports at a relatively high level that my performance was always raised when I was playing someone or was in a field where I was the perceived underdog: I won matches/placed higher than my level of ability gave me any chance of doing many times. Human nature for most I think.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So much about probably all sports is in the head (as is much in life, eg placebo effect in medicine); I know for example that from way back when I was playing a couple of sports at a relatively high level that my performance was always raised when I was playing someone or was in a field where I was the perceived underdog: I won matches/placed higher than my level of ability gave me any chance of doing many times. Human nature for most I think.

Great term was... being brought down to their level. 

We always knew when playing a lower level team that we had to be really on our game, or you would play to their level. Really easy to do and also works the opposite way.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

We always knew when playing a lower level team that we had to be really on our game, or you would play to their level. Really easy to do and also works the opposite way.

For some but not for me, if I was playing someone I knew was below me I made a point of starting really hard and letting them know they were out of their depth. I was a ruthless sod:D.

My best story about "raising my game" was in a Table Tennis tournament in Surrey; it was a pairs format thing where each member of the team played the other at singles and then finished up with a doubles match. Got to the quarter finals, was playing with my brother and the local press arrived. The massive favourites who'd won it for the last three or four years were just starting their quarter and the organisers ushered the photographer to them and he took some pictures and then immediately pissed off, because he had his photo of the winners.

They won their quarter as did we and then we played them in the semi and didn't just beat them, we annihilated them, full five-a-side footie size hall, one table in the middle, maybe 100/150 people watching; such a good feeling 'cos they were arrogant bastards:lol:. We duly won the final.

Local paper came out a few days later (I still have a copy in the attic somewhere) with their picture on the back page and the headline, "Having a Smashing Time" but then the article said something like, "...holders and favourites x and x at tournament y at the week-end but they lost out this year to brothers Mike and xxxx O who won the...". Was a far better feeling than having my mugshot there:P.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

😂👍

17 minutes ago, MikeO said:
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

For some but not for me, if I was playing someone I knew was below me I made a point of starting really hard and letting them know they were out of their depth. I was a ruthless sod:D.

I know Tiddlywinks can be very competitive but I didn’t realise it was so ruthless 😜

MikeO that’s brilliant. I am ultra competitive even at my age haha. 

My missus Anna knows never ever to say things like... it’s only a game! She knows there will be a massive lecture coming. She does it in jest, and knows my lecture is a little banter. But she also knows that I do mean it at the same time haha.

I played a friends team once and scored two goals in the first five minutes. My best friend was my manager at the time, and knew if I got a hat trick he wouldn’t here the end of it... so put me back at left back. I waited for my opportunity and from the oppositions corner, ran the whole length of the files to smash my hat trick in. (This was amateur footy by the way haha) we ended up winning the match 26-0 which was a local record. A school friend, who I’m still friends with now was manager of the opposition. No favours once you cross that white line.

• 3 months later...