IGNORED

Cenk Tosun

6 hours ago, Aidan said:

Siggy doesnt get the ball enough because of the way that Silva set his teams up when going forward. I honestly believe that he isn't intended to get on the ball that much. Rightly or wrongly.

I agree the tactics don't help Sigurdssen, he's simply not got the speed over the short yards to play it, but under the other 2 managers he never got on the ball enough either. Think he's better suited to the wing, especially now we've got Digne to overlap. 

17 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I agree the tactics don't help Sigurdssen, he's simply not got the speed over the short yards to play it, but under the other 2 managers he never got on the ball enough either. Think he's better suited to the wing, especially now we've got Digne to overlap. 

He's better suited to being jettisoned out of the team.

Strange conversation this. DCL came into the team in our most successful period, but didn’t score goals. This suggests that his team play is much better than his selfish play. 

Most have commented on this throughout his time with us as well. 

Yet here we are, hearing that it’s his weakness.

On the same topic we’re talking about Siggurdson being the team player.... after spending half the season hearing about people getting frustrated that if he doesn’t score... he doesn’t do anything. 

Strange conversation this. Hoping it doesn’t turn into yet another TT witch-hunt. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's better suited to being jettisoned out of the team.

Romey took the words out of my mouth Pete 😂

22 hours ago, pete0 said:

Sigurdssen doesn't get the ball enough to offer DCL much. Only touches it half as much as others in his position, add to him being slow and the opportunity is lost before he can make the pass. Lots of the off ball by Walcott and DCL get missed because we simply aren't quick enough to get the ball to them when they're in good positions. 

I don't agree with that. I don't doubt they make some decent but half the time the ball isn't able to get there without being very high risk. 

Put it this way, I see a lot more easy ball being turned down to go into Siggy than I see into DCL or Walcott. In the same breath I would also say that I expect that to be the case to an extent, but you can't have it both ways.

9 hours ago, Shukes said:

Strange conversation this. DCL came into the team in our most successful period, but didn’t score goals. This suggests that his team play is much better than his selfish play. 

Most have commented on this throughout his time with us as well. 

Yet here we are, hearing that it’s his weakness.

On the same topic we’re talking about Siggurdson being the team player.... after spending half the season hearing about people getting frustrated that if he doesn’t score... he doesn’t do anything. 

Strange conversation this. Hoping it doesn’t turn into yet another TT witch-hunt. 

With all due respect Shukes your missing my point (if aimed at me).

Firstly we are talking about a partnership of strikers, how they work together and link up with each other. 

Secondly I have already mentioned the difference when we counter attack attack against the sides that attack us and how this has worked. 

They don't work well together and this conversation started by suggesting them both come out of the side, partly because of that very reason. 

I see what your talking about Bailey, I just don’t feel it’s fair to comment on their partnership as two strikers. 

For me DCL is left up top with high balls played into him, which all he can do is challenge for. He wins the majority of them, for nothing! Because there isn’t anyone close enough to him. Siggy is never near enough to him to benefit from any knock on, flick on, and if he ever is, he doesn’t have the pace to capitalise.

This isn’t DCLs fault, it’s the managers fault. Play the ball into his feet and give him chance to hold it up for others, which he is pretty good at. There is no point instructing the team to float in long balls and then not having a player play off him to benefit from it.

DCL is rightly criticised for his finishing. But his teamwork shouldn’t be in question as he works hard for the team. Wasn’t it the last match where he held the ball up, backheeled the ball down the line to Siggy, who messed it up. 

Siggy can score goals. But his main criticism has been that if he doesn’t score, he isn’t in the game at all. This is because his teamwork is weak unless he is scoring goals. 

They are in no way a partnership of strikers and shouldn’t be judged on that for me.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Firstly we are talking about a partnership of strikers, how they work together and link up with each other. 

Sigurdsson isn't being played as a striker though. And if he is the tactics are even more miserable than we thought. 

Back on topic, I find the idea that Tosun could be the answer very, very depressing. He was a dreadful signing. 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh look! Patriotism proving to be the danger it is! 

Get where you're coming from but (being the linguistic pedant I am) I don't think patriotism is a problem, I'd call myself a patriot (with caveats); it's when it turns to nationalism that the dangers kick in for me.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Get where you're coming from but (being the linguistic pedant I am) I don't think patriotism is a problem, I'd call myself a patriot (with caveats); it's when it turns to nationalism that the dangers kick in for me.

patriotism
/ˈpeɪtrɪətɪz(ə)m/
noun
  1. the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

Unfortunately the line between patriotism and nationalism is subjective. Which is why it’s so fundamentally flawed.

no patriotism, no nationalism. 

We'll have to agree to disagree Matt, for me patriotism is still (for example) supporting any English/British paralympic (insert sport here) team when they're getting hammered while nationalism is a feeling of superiority. For me one isn't the entry "drug" to the next.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

We'll have to agree to disagree Matt, for me patriotism is still (for example) supporting any English/British paralympic (insert sport here) team when they're getting hammered while nationalism is a feeling of superiority. For me one isn't the entry "drug" to the next.

Kinda proves my point mate ;) 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

You disagree because your interpretation of patriotism is different despite the definition being stated, ie subjective :) 

Ah, I missed the below post, but I still disagree.

17 hours ago, Matt said:

Unfortunately the line between patriotism and nationalism is subjective. Which is why it’s so fundamentally flawed.

no patriotism, no nationalism. 

As you said...

patriotism
/ˈpeɪtrɪətɪz(ə)m/

noun
1. the quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

v

nationalism
/ˈnaʃ(ə)n(ə)lɪz(ə)m/

noun
identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

Therein lies the difference for me.

I am not gonna honor some non-sense comments here with an arguably long post but if we are talking about military salute:

J.J. Watt

Lee Keun-ho in WC 2014

Griezmann at his best

If we are talking about genocide, let's summon some native americans, armenians, algerians and jewish people. I think they have more things to say than any of us who can not understand what is a "genocide" here.

Turks and Kurds (while millions of Kurds living in peace in Turkey) sharing a long past of disagreement. It started with the founding of PKK (YPG is a variant of it in Syrian borders) and their terrorist acts in the past. I am not going to lecture any of you with it but in summary both Turks and Kurds did some mistakes. Neither Turks nor Kurds are  as pure as the driven snow. If you are interested, check unbiased sources online before using the word "genocide".

There is another hint for you to dig in online. Why middle east this important? Iraq, Syria and others... Check out global warming, which soils will be affected most and which soils will be the source of "water". Why seperatist Kurds are being supported is easy to see then. Stop making naive comments.

Anyway, I hate discussing politics. I hate politics, guns and warfares... Stupid humanity will be self destroying itself soon.

Regarding Cenk's and other players' military salute... Bullshit and self-seeking act. Nationalism are being raised again in Turkey as it is being raised in EU and US as well, so it is a definitely self-seeking act but it doesn't and shouldn't make them guilty.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Ah, I missed the below post, but I still disagree.

As you said...

patriotism
/ˈpeɪtrɪətɪz(ə)m/

noun

v

nationalism
/ˈnaʃ(ə)n(ə)lɪz(ə)m/

noun
identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

Therein lies the difference for me.

He’s (presumably) showing support of his countryman / soldiers risking their lives. That’s patriotic by definition  

The cause for which they’re fighting is nationalistic, but that’s not defined by the people on the ground, it’s the government.

put it this way, I’ve got massive respect for soldiers who went to Iraq etc. I completely disagreed with the reasoning for sending them there

On 14/10/2019 at 14:56, markjazzbassist said:

saluting the genocide of the Kurds, no thanks.  get rid of this guy, send him back where he came

He wasn’t saluting the genocide of the Kurds, though. I’ve seen him do this before. It’s how he celebrates. Let’s not read too much into how players celebrate. 

PS - I just read the BBC article and take back what I wrote. 

There are two sides on the coin. Being under Ottoman slavery for 5 centuries, having fought our freedom in 1878 (the same year Everton was formed) with the help of Russia, nobody knows how cruel the Turks can be better than us Bulgarians. However everything that Kurds are doing is a pure form of terrorism that dates back from at least a century. We can relate to them, they are fighting for their freedom. At the same time it is perfectly understandable that Turks hate them, since literary everyone has lost a relative after Kurdish attack over the years. What I mean, there's rarely a right and wrong side in any war. In other words, everyone has a valid reason to be right looking from his own perspective.

On 16/10/2019 at 07:37, nogs said:

Sigurdsson isn't being played as a striker though. And if he is the tactics are even more miserable than we thought. 

Back on topic, I find the idea that Tosun could be the answer very, very depressing. He was a dreadful signing. 

Well we defend in a 442 formation and his average position is more often than not as high as or ahead of the striker, at least when he is alongside DCL. The one game Kean started it was a little different but I didnt see that game so I couldn't tell you what happened.

• 3 weeks later...