IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think we have enjoyed more possession under Ancelotti percentage wise than when we had Gana in the team, our problems have been that when we’ve had the ball we’ve had no one in midfield who knows how to use it. 
We don’t create or move it forward with any confidence from the middle, most of our possession is playing it sideways or backwards in our own half, I don’t particularly think it’s a midfield ball winner we lack although you wouldn’t not want one, it’s someone who can get us playing once we have the ball. 

One of the best ways to create clear chances is when teams are out of their defensive shape. The best teams ‘set traps’ and dispossess teams in the midfield and break quickly when they’re out of shape - look at Liverpool’s central midfielders - none are what I’d call superstars but they can all put a tackle in and make a forward pass - this is the major difference. We massively lack the players who win the ball back, which was my original point. I can see why Hjojberg (spelling?) was on our radar and think we need Allan (who I think we’ll get) and another to address this. Gbamin supposedly can do it and even Delph (if we can get him fit) can do it. The extra possession you say we have under Ancelotti (do we?) is not significant enough to dominate teams as we allow teams far too much possession in the middle as we’re simply not winning the ball back.

25 minutes ago, c1982 said:

One of the best ways to create clear chances is when teams are out of their defensive shape. The best teams ‘set traps’ and dispossess teams in the midfield and break quickly when they’re out of shape - look at Liverpool’s central midfielders - none are what I’d call superstars but they can all put a tackle in and make a forward pass - this is the major difference. We massively lack the players who win the ball back, which was my original point. I can see why Hjojberg (spelling?) was on our radar and think we need Allan (who I think we’ll get) and another to address this. Gbamin supposedly can do it and even Delph (if we can get him fit) can do it. The extra possession you say we have under Ancelotti (do we?) is not significant enough to dominate teams as we allow teams far too much possession in the middle as we’re simply not winning the ball back.

I agree with that, Henderson is a prime example of that he covers space wins the ball, and is quick with usually a good delivery to get the players in front of him on the front foot, players like him don’t always look like they are doing something yet they make the game look easy because they are good readers of the game. 
When I see people not rating Henderson I find it hard to believe, for me he is a Trojan for Liverpool, but that’s opinions for ya, I don’t rate Gana where most do, yes he wins the ball, but at what cost when he leaves players and spaces wide open, and for me he doesn’t do anything with it. 
I have hope that if we get Allan from Napoli he will be more like a Henderson than a Gana, again many will disagree with me and want the opposite. 
But you know what mate we are having a reasonable debate putting our opinions across and agreeing on something’s but not all, and that’s good enough for me no insults required. 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree with that, Henderson is a prime example of that he covers space wins the ball, and is quick with usually a good delivery to get the players in front of him on the front foot, players like him don’t always look like they are doing something yet they make the game look easy because they are good readers of the game. 
When I see people not rating Henderson I find it hard to believe, for me he is a Trojan for Liverpool, but that’s opinions for ya, I don’t rate Gana where most do, yes he wins the ball, but at what cost when he leaves players and spaces wide open, and for me he doesn’t do anything with it. 
I have hope that if we get Allan from Napoli he will be more like a Henderson than a Gana, again many will disagree with me and want the opposite. 
But you know what mate we are having a reasonable debate putting our opinions across and agreeing on something’s but not all, and that’s good enough for me no insults required. 

I don’t think Allan will be as mobile as Gana but will orchestrate the midfield - the kind of player who can do the lot. I do think we will need a more energetic player beside him - not necessarily in the Gana mould but certainly someone who can get from box to box and put a foot in/pick a pass. I don’t necessarily want Doucoure as I feel he will be massively overpriced but a younger player in that mould would be ideal for me - I’ve seen Sangare mentioned, and whilst I’ve not actually seen him play, from what I’ve heard/read, he sounds ideal.

As for insults - I haven’t insulted you have I? If I have, it wasn’t intentional.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

I don’t think Allan will be as mobile as Gana but will orchestrate the midfield - the kind of player who can do the lot. I do think we will need a more energetic player beside him - not necessarily in the Gana mould but certainly someone who can get from box to box and put a foot in/pick a pass. I don’t necessarily want Doucoure as I feel he will be massively overpriced but a younger player in that mould would be ideal for me - I’ve seen Sangare mentioned, and whilst I’ve not actually seen him play, from what I’ve heard/read, he sounds ideal.

As for insults - I haven’t insulted you have I? If I have, it wasn’t intentional.

No you haven’t, I was making reference to a past event and highlighting that we can disagree without insults. 

15 hours ago, c1982 said:

You do watch us don’t you?!?! Who have we got putting the tackles in and winning back possession? It’s clearly our biggest problem - this shows it a little more! If we still had Gana then he’d be high up that list, likewise McCarthy. The fact is, we’ve really missed that ‘ball-winner’ in midfield - whether it be 1 player or shared amongst 2 or 3.

What if I said we ranked 5th for tackles completed, 8th for tackles attempted and 12th for interceptions last season.

Then what if I said we ranked 7th for tackles completed, 8th for tackles attempted and 10th for interceptions the previous season with Gana and McCarthy.

Whilst we did complete more tackles in the previous season, it was only 0.8 per game more.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

What if I said we ranked 5th for tackles completed, 8th for tackles attempted and 12th for interceptions last season.

Then what if I said we ranked 7th for tackles completed, 8th for tackles attempted and 10th for interceptions the previous season with Gana and McCarthy.

Whilst we did complete more tackles in the previous season, it was only 0.8 per game more.

That doesn’t surprise me one bit, I’ve always said putting in the most tackles and blocks means absolutely nothing, when you have no ability to create and give the ball back to easily. 

35 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If you told me they were tackles/interceptions made by our central midfielders, I wouldn’t believe you.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Not enough from central midfield areas.

671 tackles

Sidibe - 83

Digne - 73

Richarlison - 70

Sigurdsson - 50

Holgate - 44

Coleman - 42

Mina - 39

Davies - 38

Bernard - 32

Keane - 31

Schneiderlin - 31

Delph - 26

Iwobi - 25

Gomes - 22

Walcott - 13

Gordon - 11

Baines - 10

Branthwaite - 8

Calvert-Lewin - 7

Kean - 6

Gbamin - 4

Niasse - 4

Tosun - 4

It was painful how shocking we where in the tackle in midfield this season - Gbamin and Delph being unavailable for selection for most of the season has not helped at all, the two player brought in to give the midfield a bit of tenacity. This problem was confounded when maybe some of attacking players as a collective needing to step up to help cover more with defensive duties - think this just served to make them less effective going forward - so it all just didn't work.

I think Allan has everything in a player we currently need, very good in the tackle, but also a deep lying player maker - apparently his is great passer of the ball and also not afraid to dribble. You have somebody like this in the middle of the pitch - then its like having two players or at least one and a half. It sounds like he wants to come, and just a case of holding our nerve on the transfer fee - really hope this one comes off. I will be genuinely excited if he comes - as I think he will install confidence in the rest of the player around him.

I am also happy to be hearing whispers that Ancellotti is also looking for another keeper to put a lot more pressure on Pickford. Unfortunately, he has been consistently poor over the past couple of seasons that I have lost patience with him. He is somebody now who doesn't installs confidence in the players around him - so brings there game down.

These are the two areas I would like to see the biggest changes this summer - tougher tackling midfield and a reliable goalkeeper. 

12 hours ago, RuffRob said:

It was painful how shocking we where in the tackle in midfield this season - Gbamin and Delph being unavailable for selection for most of the season has not helped at all, the two player brought in to give the midfield a bit of tenacity. This problem was confounded when maybe some of attacking players as a collective needing to step up to help cover more with defensive duties - think this just served to make them less effective going forward - so it all just didn't work.

I think Allan has everything in a player we currently need, very good in the tackle, but also a deep lying player maker - apparently his is great passer of the ball and also not afraid to dribble. You have somebody like this in the middle of the pitch - then its like having two players or at least one and a half. It sounds like he wants to come, and just a case of holding our nerve on the transfer fee - really hope this one comes off. I will be genuinely excited if he comes - as I think he will install confidence in the rest of the player around him.

I am also happy to be hearing whispers that Ancellotti is also looking for another keeper to put a lot more pressure on Pickford. Unfortunately, he has been consistently poor over the past couple of seasons that I have lost patience with him. He is somebody now who doesn't installs confidence in the players around him - so brings there game down.

These are the two areas I would like to see the biggest changes this summer - tougher tackling midfield and a reliable goalkeeper. 

I agree on all points here.

Pickfords issues are mentally, I don’t think anyone doubts his ability - I’m not sure a keeper pushing him is going to make much of a difference. Having a manager like Ancelotti come should be enough to motivate someone. It’s just hard to predict how much we have in funds and the behind to prioritise what areas need fixing.

CM is undoubtably first priority. Allan would be immense, still need another one.

Winger - someone teams will actually fear playing against and needs to be at the same level as Richarlison.

CB - First teamer, proper defender to partner with Holgate.

LB - Back up to digne, Ricardo Rodriguez from AC Milan would be cheap and probably achievable on loan. Unless this youngster is the business but I doubt it.

GK - Kind it makes Lossl signing pointless I guess. Sell him to Huddersfield and get someone else in perhaps.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

I agree on all points here.

Pickfords issues are mentally, I don’t think anyone doubts his ability - I’m not sure a keeper pushing him is going to make much of a difference. Having a manager like Ancelotti come should be enough to motivate someone. It’s just hard to predict how much we have in funds and the behind to prioritise what areas need fixing.

CM is undoubtably first priority. Allan would be immense, still need another one.

Winger - someone teams will actually fear playing against and needs to be at the same level as Richarlison.

CB - First teamer, proper defender to partner with Holgate.

LB - Back up to digne, Ricardo Rodriguez from AC Milan would be cheap and probably achievable on loan. Unless this youngster is the business but I doubt it.

GK - Kind it makes Lossl signing pointless I guess. Sell him to Huddersfield and get someone else in perhaps.

I am not overly worried about a CB- I think either Keane and Mina can do a good job in the middle, both are decent defenders. I think our CB's are the players who would benefit the most in confidence if the had a decent tackling midfield in front of them and less unpredictable keeper behind them. I would hate to be a CB playing in front of Pickford. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I am not overly worried about a CB- I think either Keane and Mina can do a good job in the middle, both are decent defenders. I think our CB's are the players who would benefit the most in confidence if the had a decent tackling midfield in front of them and less unpredictable keeper behind them. I would hate to be a CB playing in front of Pickford. 

Decent but Keane is inconsistent and Mina is consistently injured I guess! As long as we spend our money wisely this window I’ll be happy.

Keane would be my biggest worry as I guess we’ll start defending higher as our midfield improves. Keane looked great post lockdown as we were defending so deep - a by-product of have a massive hole in midfield. I would expect this to change tactically - something Keane has been caught out with in the past as he’s quite slow and cumbersome on the turn.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Keane would be my biggest worry as I guess we’ll start defending higher as our midfield improves. Keane looked great post lockdown as we were defending so deep - a by-product of have a massive hole in midfield. I would expect this to change tactically - something Keane has been caught out with in the past as he’s quite slow and cumbersome on the turn.

That would be my worry too.

It will be intriguing to see how Carlo tries to play next season.

11 hours ago, Btay said:

Decent but Keane is inconsistent and Mina is consistently injured I guess! As long as we spend our money wisely this window I’ll be happy.

isn't it crazy how at the start of last season Holgate wan't even mentioned, hoping Keane and Mina would click together - half expecting him to be loaned again or sold. Then all of a sudden he's our most consistent defender. Exciting for him, he's come on leaps and bounds this season and could have been even better if WBA would have played him in his natural positon.

11 hours ago, c1982 said:

Said this for awhile, Burnley made him look good because of the low block they implement. It makes defenders look better (not to say they're bad players, they're just more suited to that style of football and are good at it). He was another example of bad recruitment - and again not because he's a bad player but because he is never going to be able to play comfortably in a system we are likely to implement.

27 minutes ago, Aidan said:

isn't it crazy how at the start of last season Holgate wan't even mentioned, hoping Keane and Mina would click together - half expecting him to be loaned again or sold. Then all of a sudden he's our most consistent defender. Exciting for him, he's come on leaps and bounds this season and could have been even better if WBA would have played him in his natural positon.

Said this for awhile, Burnley made him look good because of the low block they implement. It makes defenders look better (not to say they're bad players, they're just more suited to that style of football and are good at it). He was another example of bad recruitment - and again not because he's a bad player but because he is never going to be able to play comfortably in a system we are likely to implement.

Football is funny like that though isn’t it. I think everyone saw Holgates ability but he was a bit slight and caught between being a CB or RB. We just need to work towards getting a settled back 5 for the next few seasons - our best years under Moyes and then Martinez first one had a back 5 that had played together for 4/5 seasons. 

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Football is funny like that though isn’t it. I think everyone saw Holgates ability but he was a bit slight and caught between being a CB or RB. We just need to work towards getting a settled back 5 for the next few seasons - our best years under Moyes and then Martinez first one had a back 5 that had played together for 4/5 seasons. 

think this could apply to the whole team and club - extremely unsettled and a lot of chopping and changing everywhere, we desperately need some stability - something solid to then build off. Finger cross we hopefully see this happening over the next couple of seasons. 🤞

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I get the feeling some people will end up disappointed with Holgate next season. 

I hope not, he's really proved a lot of people wrong and has aspects of his game which could make him a valuable player in our team. Hes still 23 give him 2 more seasons then we can see where he is at as a player.

Either way if he doesn't make it here I think he will stay in the Prem and command a decent fee for us.

15 hours ago, Aidan said:

I hope not, he's really proved a lot of people wrong and has aspects of his game which could make him a valuable player in our team. Hes still 23 give him 2 more seasons then we can see where he is at as a player.

Either way if he doesn't make it here I think he will stay in the Prem and command a decent fee for us.

I think that remains to be seen. He was still making plenty of rookie mistakes which he needs to iron out of his game quickly. If he does keeping making those mistakes then his value (subject to inflation) wont be any higher than it is now.

I have hope for him, but he still needs to step up a lot to be considered a nailed on starter good enough for a side with European aspirations. He does have time on his side and he is improving too so fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think that remains to be seen. He was still making plenty of rookie mistakes which he needs to iron out of his game quickly. If he does keeping making those mistakes then his value (subject to inflation) wont be any higher than it is now.

I have hope for him, but he still needs to step up a lot to be considered a nailed on starter good enough for a side with European aspirations. He does have time on his side and he is improving too so fingers crossed.

If there are chips to be pissed on then Bailey is always willing to do the pissing :lol:.

Just looking for some potential targets this summer, some we have already been linked with but most have not.

LB

Jamal Lewis (Norwich) - Subject of a failed bid from Liverpool as they don’t want to pay over £10m. If we could get him for less than the £15m mark he would be a good LB to rotate with Digne. Pacey, works hard and a good dribbler of the ball.

RB

Max Aarons (Norwich) - Another Norwich player. Lightening quick, a good dribbler and not a bad defender. Likely to cost around £20m but another good young option at RB for us. The question is would Kenny be worth taking a risk on instead of us going for another young RB?

Emerson (Real Betis) - Has had a good seasons as an attacking full back with 6 assists and 3 goals. The 21 year old Brazilian is quick and has a good cross on him. I think he may be part owned by Barcelona which maybe a stumbling bock - although they do need funds.

CB

James Tarkowski (Burnley) - Has proved himself as a top Premier League defender in the past few years. Has a good range of passing and seems solid at the back. Burnley’s set up may make him look better than he is, and he may not be available on the cheap. I'd take him at Everton if it were a reasonable fee but could see him going elsewhere if he were to leave.

Sebastian Schonlau (Padderborn) - A stand out in a woeful relegated Padderborn. Schonlau is a no nonsense centre back which may not be a preferred style for Carlo. He is however reliable and could be paired with a ball player to get the best out of him. Could be available for a reasonable fee and would have low wages.

Ozan Kabak (Schalke) - Linked with Liverpool lately. A highly rated 20 year old who has impressed for Schalke this season. A dogged defender who is a progressive passer of the ball. Could cost a few quid though.

CM

Erick Pulgar (Fiorentina) - Seems to have gone under the radar. Has a very good return of 7 goals and 6 assists this season from deeper in midfield. Could he be a box to box alternative to Doucoure or Allan if we miss out?

RW

Lucas Ocampos - The already linked powerful left footed winger has scored 14 this season and set up 3. More of a forward than an out and out winger and would complement a 433.

Domenico Berardi - Left footed, had 14 goals in Seria A this season with 10 assists. Creative, an eye for goal and at 26 has had a decent return these past few years for Sassulo - the mid table Italian side. Ancelotti must already know about the player. He’s a technical player who can also play as a CF.

Riccardo Orsolini - A left footed winger from Seria A. Spend his younger years at Juve but never broke through into their team. Another player who has shone in the mid table of Italian football with Bologna. With 8 goals and 6 assists this season, a similar return to what he had last term on loan with the same team. At only 23 can only improve. He likes to dribble and cross, but is more comfortable cutting inside from the right.

Emiliano Buendía - I've already mentioned him. Would be a great signing and seems to have gone under the radar. Easily Norwich's best player.