IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

11 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m no big fan of Gylfi, but that looks to me like his not asking for the ball but he is also dictating where the play should go. To team mates in space and keeping possession. 
The pattern of play could have been to draw the opposition out, looks like they have a lot of men back there. It could also be a recovery phase of play (which always got the crowd on Schneiderlin’s back for doing that, though I’m sure his teammates appreciated it).

You can’t judge a passage of play on a seven second clip. You’d need to see at least 30 seconds and ideally the whole pitch to know exactly what’s going on. 

We have to always be at extremes with our players don’t we?! They have to be great or shit. They can’t just be out of form, they have to be shit houses or spineless. Looking forward to the next few weeks to not see so much negativity. It’s exhausting. 

I specifically recalled that passage of play ... you would have been forgiven for believing we were playing right to left ..... we were chasing the gane and playing left to right.  It was an absolute disgrace.

I wouldn't expect an 18 year old kid to show such lack of bottle and ownership.  He's a supposed playmaker who makes things happen.

This type of thing happens all the time with him.  It's the type of shit that gets players sold from Man United with the tag that they can't play for a big club. 

This is Everton where we just want players to show desire and will forgive the odd stray pass.

18 hours ago, Hafnia said:

What do you make of this one?  I read this one in particular.... less than 10 minutes left.

there's a load btw

I agree, I dont particularly like what he does there. There is no reason why he couldn't step into the space. Id also say there is no reason why the player just couldn't play the ball to him anyway. Poor from both of them IMO.

You do realise that I agree that he should do more, don't you? You seem to continually suggest I am happy with his performance.

I like how you ignored my points BTW.

18 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m no big fan of Gylfi, but that looks to me like his not asking for the ball but he is also dictating where the play should go. To team mates in space and keeping possession. 
The pattern of play could have been to draw the opposition out, looks like they have a lot of men back there. It could also be a recovery phase of play (which always got the crowd on Schneiderlin’s back for doing that, though I’m sure his teammates appreciated it).

You can’t judge a passage of play on a seven second clip. You’d need to see at least 30 seconds and ideally the whole pitch to know exactly what’s going on. 

We have to always be at extremes with our players don’t we?! They have to be great or shit. They can’t just be out of form, they have to be shit houses or spineless. Looking forward to the next few weeks to not see so much negativity. It’s exhausting. 

I agree about some of these points. The previous attack had clearly broken down and the ball was being recycled. You can see that people had made the runs forward, and were now turning to run back towards the goal and the Arsenal back line were pushing up the pitch. The question in this clip is whether playing the ball to Siggurdson would have done any more than playing it between Holgate and Mina (?) Who is then driving into space in the middle of the pitch with everyone back onside and making a new run. 

Its a bit like Question of Sport this, would love to know what happens next.

10 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think this is definitely a market we should be trying to cherry pick two or three signings from most seasons. Always some decent players who shine in poor teams. So good chance they will will play equally as well in better teams and they are premier league proven.  

If we bought two players from this year relegated teams what would your picks be and how much do you think we should pay? 

I think we would definitely benefit from somebody like Buendia , creative player, but still puts in a good shift off the ball - and how we need players who will put a foot in!! - should walk in to our team. (£25M-£30 has to be going rate for a 23yr old first team player). potentially has a good sell on value, so a pretty low risk signing.

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/emi-buendia-premier-league-scout-report/

image.png.2e1ae93549dba212e2095dbb378f2631.png

Buendia would be a good pick up. Looked to play central though by memory when I watched Norwich. Seems like a player that actually threads a pass as well. Right age and showed decent ability in a struggling team.

Double deal, him and Aarons.

2 hours ago, Makis said:

Rather Sarr than Buendia because we need a winger who can score. 

Not as much as we need some midfielders who can create chances and tackle - 😂. Joking to one side - we definitely need some more players who are willing to roll up there sleeves and put a tackle in when its needed. Massive bonus if same player they can also create chances - Buendia sounds just what we need to get more out of the wingers we have already paid decent money for.  

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Not as much as we need some midfielders who can create chances and tackle - 😂. Joking to one side - we definitely need some more players who are willing to roll up there sleeves and put a tackle in when its needed. Massive bonus if same player they can also create chances - Buendia sounds just what we need to get more out of the wingers we have already paid decent money for.  

So would you play him alongside Gomes or Davies?

13 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think this is definitely a market we should be trying to cherry pick two or three signings from most seasons. Always some decent players who shine in poor teams. So good chance they will will play equally as well in better teams and they are premier league proven.  

If we bought two players from this year relegated teams what would your picks be and how much do you think we should pay? 

I think we would definitely benefit from somebody like Buendia , creative player, but still puts in a good shift off the ball - and how we need players who will put a foot in!! - should walk in to our team. (£25M-£30 has to be going rate for a 23yr old first team player). potentially has a good sell on value, so a pretty low risk signing.

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/emi-buendia-premier-league-scout-report/

image.png.2e1ae93549dba212e2095dbb378f2631.png

If I was looking at each team the players I would be interested in are as follows:

Bournemouth - Josh King

I've banged on about him for a while and he showed why against us, albeit I am not sure he has been at that level for the whole season (injuries aside). Big, strong and quick, good technique and a decent enough finisher. Not really a position we need any longer and I don't see where he would fit in with the current set up. 

Ake would be another but he is off to City. I'm not sure there is anyone else there. Maybe Fraser but who knows what form he is in and where his mind is at.

Watford - Doucoure / Sarr / Geri 

Doucoure is the obvious one. I'm not entirely sure what type of midfielder he is but he seems to do a bit of everything. He is athletic and can get up and down the pitch a damn site more than anyone else we have at the club. Sarr and Geri fall into the category of yes they would be players that you would be interested in at the price but at the same time, they aren’t players that fit into what we need and what we are trying to do. 

Norwich - Aarons / Buendia / Cantwell / Hernandez 

You have covered Buendia so I won't say any more on him. I have talked about Aarons before and whilst I haven't seen enough to be certain he looks to be a pretty solid right back option for years to come. I'm not sure about Kenny so if he isn't good enough to replace Coleman then right back is a position we need to fill ASAP. 

Cantwell is a player that you could see fitting into the wide positions, playing between the lines and creating chances. He is a skinny, weak poor man's Grealish in many ways but I presume he is younger and has more to come. At the right price he would be worth a go. Maybe around £15mil?

Hernandez is the type of player that doesn’t let you down and he causes plenty of problems for defenders. Quick, strong, tricky and he works hard. I wouldnt be sure that he scores enough from what I have seen but if I was a manager and I needed someone to come in for a run of games following an injury to the starter or to finish off the job in the last 20 minutes, I would love to have him in the squad. Id absolutely pick him ahead of Walcott, Iwobi and Bernard on the basis that they like doing the pretty things rather than the graft. He would be pretty cheap too I expect.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Some on here were really big on Buendia earlier in the year but it seems to have gone away.  Did he have a bad last part of the season?

Would love him here would suit the 442 and has real quality. 

14 hours ago, Makis said:

So would you play him alongside Gomes or Davies?

Would rather Gomes and Davies on the bench to be honest, don't think either of them really cutting the mustard as top Premiership midfeilder. Think we look at Gomes through rose tinted glasses a little bit, he has been part of the problem of us being 'weak' in the middle. He doesn't weight in with goals, he doesn't regularly rip defences apart with slide rule passes, he doesn't bully the opposition when they are in possession. I know we had the new manager affect in Dec, Jan and Feb, but that was our best period this year, we where shocking before and shocking afterward - so played our best football during the period he was out injured, and played poorly when he has played. Are we a much better of a team when he plays? 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm nervous and excited waiting for us to make our first signing of this window (not counting that young LB, who is now in Liverpool by the way). I think it's going to say a lot about where we're heading next season.

Same, hoping the wise shoulders of Ancelloti will start by buying to build the solid foundation blocks of a good team rather than an over excited koeman and silva (and Martinez to an extent) been given the keys to a sweetshop. None of these three had experience of big transfer budgets - yet the first time we seem to have any decent money to play with put it in the hands of relatively inexperienced spenders in the hope they become the next big thing in management. A lot of money has been wasted. Really not sure what was going through the boards mind when they appointed Silva after the failure of Keoman to be honest.- his cv coming didn't fill me with confidence. Are we really suprised how it all turned out. After the last too managerial spending fuck ups, I am also nervous, as there can't be much more wiggle room left for dud transfers. No pressure then Mr Ancelloti. 

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Would rather Gomes and Davies on the bench to be honest, don't think either of them really cutting the mustard as top Premiership midfeilder. Think we look at Gomes through rose tinted glasses a little bit, he has been part of the problem of us being 'weak' in the middle. He doesn't weight in with goals, he doesn't regularly rip defences apart with slide rule passes, he doesn't bully the opposition when they are in possession. I know we had the new manager affect in Dec, Jan and Feb, but that was our best period this year, we where shocking before and shocking afterward - so played our best football during the period he was out injured, and played poorly when he has played. Are we a much better of a team when he plays? 

Gomes is a tough one because at times he purrs and glides around the pitch looking a class above like he did against Sheffield Utd and then other times I wonder if he is colour blind because he doesn't seem to pick out a teammate. That is pre and post injury as well.

My biggest problem with him in central midfield is that he is so easy to get past. I imagine he would never get out of a single man rondo. Its incredible to think one of our most common midfield set ups has had the combination of him, Davies and Siggurdson who are all very similar in that respect.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Gomes is a tough one because at times he purrs and glides around the pitch looking a class above like he did against Sheffield Utd and then other times I wonder if he is colour blind because he doesn't seem to pick out a teammate. That is pre and post injury as well.

My biggest problem with him in central midfield is that he is so easy to get past. I imagine he would never get out of a single man rondo. Its incredible to think one of our most common midfield set ups has had the combination of him, Davies and Siggurdson who are all very similar in that respect.

And here lies the problem 'at times he purrs'. 'At times' just isn't good enough for a key player in the middle of the park who surposedly dictates play. Managers want consistency of performance out of a player more than anything, this is even more important in the backbone of the team. Gomes thus become one of the players that makes us an average team, some days we are good, some days we suck!  Trouble is, this gets masked by the occasional standout performance. 

As you say he is easy for the opposition to get past,  the rest of the midfield then have to carry him defensively. To be carried, for me he needs to be doing something really special going forward and doing it week in week out. Gomes doesn't bring anywhere near enough to be afforded special treatment. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

And here lies the problem 'at times he purrs'. 'At times' just isn't good enough for a key player in the middle of the park who surposedly dictates play. Managers want consistency of performance out of a player more than anything, this is even more important in the backbone of the team. Gomes thus become one of the players that makes us an average team, some days we are good, some days we suck!  Trouble is, this gets masked by the occasional standout performance. 

As you say he is easy for the opposition to get past,  the rest of the midfield then have to carry him defensively. To be carried, for me he needs to be doing something really special going forward and doing it week in week out. Gomes doesn't bring anywhere near enough to be afforded special treatment. 

I agree and if I am honest I'm not sure having better players around him will make him a better player either, more so just mask how badly he has played. 

Its a shame because he is a talented player when he puts it all together.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

Its incredible to think one of our most common midfield set ups has had the combination of him, Davies and Siggurdson who are all very similar in that respect.

That’s not been out of choice though. With Gbamin, Schneiderlin and Delph (and Gomes) missing most of the season, we’ve had very few options beyond those 3. It’s obviously been our achilles heel as we’ve not been able to control many games due to being out played in midfield.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I don’t think we have let anyone go who was going to make it in our first team tbh, which says it all really! 

I’d have Vlasic in a heartbeat.

Shame about Onyekuru’s work permit as both he and lookman couldn’t do any worse than the 50/60 odd million spent on walcott/iwobi