IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

“Better quality, better ambition, better motivation and more passion.”

Says a lot about Walsh's recruitment. 

It’s not completely down to Walsh, we had Koeman Moshiri and Kenwright all having a say to many Chiefs and not enough Indians. This time I don’t think or I hope Ancelotti will not allow anyone to tell him what he can or cannot have, it needs to be his team not chosen or influenced by the director’s chairman or owners, because the last 5 years have shown how poor we have been at putting a cohesive squad together. 
We now have a manager of unquestionable ability who’s been there seen it and done, I hope he threatens to go if he is not allowed sole decision on player purchases, rather than those mentioned having there say, because we are where we are now because of that interference from people who think they now more than the manager, yet let the manager carry the can.  

I see there’s been a fair amount of discussion here that I’ve missed, but here’s my take:

Realistically, how much of our deadwood can we ship out?

Here’s a list of who I’d like to see go after today’s performance: Sidibe, Davies, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, Stekelenburg, Tosun, Ramirez, Delph, Besic, Bolasie, Pennington.

Obviously we can’t get rid of all of these. I’d love to add Sigurdsson to the list, but I don’t think we can afford to lose his completely inconsistent creativity until we’ve made a couple solid midfield signings.

As far as depth goes:

GK: Pickford/Need signing/Virginia

CB: Keane/Holgate/Mina/Branthwaite/need signing

RB: Need signing/Coleman/Kenny

LB: Digne/Hope to god Baines stays/Nkounkou

DM: Need signing/Gbamin/Baningime

Mid: Need signing/Gomes/Sigurdsson/Dowell/Adeniran

Wingers/forwards: Richarlison/Need signing/Gordon/need signing

Strikers: DCL/Kean/Need signing

If I had my way, that’s 8 new first team signings, which is obviously not feasible. Hopefully we can get at least 3 in and maybe a couple more on loan.

Iwobi and Walcott are probably not going anywhere, so unfortunately I think we might be stuck with our current options up front.  We absolutely need to prioritize competition for Gomes/Siggy (signing a competent number 10 would make me incredibly happy) as well as sign at least one capable DM and hope that Gbamin is back to full strength. RB is also a glaring spot of need. If we could get those three in and a decent winger, I’d be made up.

Edit: Forgot Dowell in the original post.

We’re not going to make a lot signings meaning it’s important that we make the right signings in this window, so that we push some of the dross that’s currently starting every week onto the bench. We do have some good players that we can build around but there’s more shite than good. That needs to change and it needs to change now. 

Just now, StevO said:

Might only be a few players coming in, but those players need to make all the difference. 

We need to be banging on Villa’s door for Grealish. To be that good, in a team that shite, and still fight all season, he would be great for us. 

Not a fan of his at all but surely with them staying up he won’t be leaving?

From my point of view an overhaul of Central midfield is what is needed the most. Gomes is the only one I could understand playing a meaningful amount of games next season but even that is in doubt after a performance like today. I have no idea if Gbamin is any good.

I'd say we could probably then make do with our forward options, without being happy about them, and then it would be a dominant CB and a new RB (assuming Kenny is still the same player as before his loan). 

If mistakes like today keep happening then you do have to consider a new keeper as well. Things like that just can't be happening that often.

We are in one hell of a mess.

We don’t need whole sale changes we need 2-3 this summer, and 1-2 of them in the middle, the centre of our spine is broken. We need a leader in the middle a Carsley or Graveson someone to lead by example and with a voice to marshal those around them and kick arse. 
Today Davies was the better out of him Gomes and Gylfi, how the fuck should that be the case, that he cares more and works harder than them for half the money, we need change the attitude of these big time Charlie’s or fuck them out Gomes as well if doesn’t show the desire and passion. 

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We don’t need whole sale changes we need 2-3 this summer, and 1-2 of them in the middle, the centre of our spine is broken. We need a leader in the middle a Carsley or Graveson someone to lead by example and with a voice to marshal those around them and kick arse. 
Today Davies was the better out of him Gomes and Gylfi, how the fuck should that be the case, that he cares more and works harder than them for half the money, we need change the attitude of these big time Charlie’s or fuck them out Gomes as well if doesn’t show the desire and passion. 

Homegrown. It’s unfortunate that players like Richarlison who will play for the shirt despite no previous allegiance seem harder and harder to come by.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I agree Davies was our best midfielder today, which goes a long way to explaining why we were totally outthought, outplayed and outfought at home by a team that’s just been relegated 

Im clinging to the hope ( and it is hope rather than expectation) that if we can get a more dynamic Idrissa Gueye like player alongside him next season to do all the dirty work then we might see best of him again. Unfortunately I don’t really know what type of player Davies is  and I’ve been watching him for 3 years now! 

I think he needs a loan to a Championship side or maybe a Premiership side that’s even worse than us, if we can find one, where he can play week in week out so he can develop and work out what his best role is 

So for me I think we need at least 5 players, a RB, CB, 2 x  CM and a RW 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Might only be a few players coming in, but those players need to make all the difference. 

We need to be banging on Villa’s door for Grealish. To be that good, in a team that shite, and still fight all season, he would be great for us. 

No,gut says he's not right for us, can't say why really. Probably same as why I wouldn't have taken Vardy.

The thing with Davies is, no matter who you put around him, he still can't make enough simple passes, he will still be weak as piss and he will still run like he has cement in his boots. 

Today he looked good because he put in some tackles and had a couple of good dribbles. He still gave away so many silly simple balls, he got very lucky on a couple of occasions when trying to play out when on another day he wouldn't have got the foul and they would have neen in on goal 30 yards out. He gave it a go today and I applaud that, but he isn't at this level and no amount of loans, games, change of positions or teammates will change that. 

The same comments always apply to Gomes, Siggy and Delph on any given day as well. 

Priority: LB, CM

Need: CB, RB (depending on Carlo's view on Kenny), Another CM

Preffered: First choice GK, CF

7 positions are in some need of reinforcement. Ideally we need a minimum of 5 signings. It seems like quite a lot, but hopefully we can be shrewd in the market and bring in some players in with decent fees attached to them. 

I'm excited for Gordon to get a run out next season and see how he is developing. Branthwaite for me is a season or two off being able to challenge for a spot so I'd like to see him go out on loan this summer. 

GK: Pickford, Lossl

RB: Coleman, Kenny

CB: New signing, Holgate, Keane, Mina

LB: Digne, new signing 

CM: Gomes, X2 New signings, Gbamin, Delph

Wide: New signing, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, Gordon

CF: DCL, Kean, Richarlison 

Out: 

Sidibe, Davies, Siggy + other obvious ones not included in list above.

I wouldn't mind keeping Delph for one more season to see what Carlo can do with him. He may have his uses. That being said, I would be livid if we did not sign a back up for LB and Delph was expected to cover there. Iwobi can improve and Bernard should have another season to see what he can do before we think about moving him on, because currently he is not good enough. Walcott as frustrating as he is remains a viable squad player for us. 

I expect to see more of Kean next season and hope to see Richarlison play more of a role in a wider position where I prefer him. I'd like to see another striker in but won't be upset if this doesn't happen and we focus investment into other areas of the squad. 

Sigurdsson would be the first out of the door for me, and Davies is simply not good enough at this level. I know he is young but he seems to have gotten worse over time rather than progressed. Not interested in Sids purchase option he hasn't been the worst player for us but is not the type of player that will help us progress. 

I doubt we will see pickford leave this window but he really needs to have a word with himself because another season like he's just had will see him out of the door at Everton and stripped of his what once seemed a guaranteed start at international level. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

The thing with Davies is, no matter who you put around him, he still can't make enough simple passes, he will still be weak as piss and he will still run like he has cement in his boots. 

Today he looked good because he put in some tackles and had a couple of good dribbles. He still gave away so many silly simple balls, he got very lucky on a couple of occasions when trying to play out when on another day he wouldn't have got the foul and they would have neen in on goal 30 yards out. He gave it a go today and I applaud that, but he isn't at this level and no amount of loans, games, change of positions or teammates will change that. 

The same comments always apply to Gomes, Siggy and Delph on any given day as well. 

Tom Davies's passing success rate was 86% in the Bournemouth match fyi......

Once again, I’m as excited by who we’re selling as to who we actually sign...

The only players who I’d be gutted if we sold are Holgate, Richarlison and Digne as our best players (in my opinion) and Gordon, Branthwaite, Kean and Calvert-Lewin as they are all young and I think Ancelotti could make them top, top players.

My hope is we sign 4/5 (1st team quality or Branthwaite/Holgate/Calvert-Lewin type) and sell at least double that figure of deadweight and square pegs.

we need a spine, we just don’t have one at the moment, Pickford doesn’t inspire confidence in his back line, which effect their play, he can move on, a strong CB who can talk the other defenders through a game, and a midfield general like Reidy, I’d also look for an experienced striker to help DCL and Kean develop doing what Giraud and Glenn Murray do, can’t help thinking we didn’t use Rooney  correctly when he came back.

9 minutes ago, jofanon said:

Pope

Coleman    Holgate   Magalhaes   Digne

Doucoure   Allan    Gomes   

Rodriques     DCL     Richarlison

Not arsed about Pope, and I doubt we would get Doucoure and Allan, but I really like that team. 

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

86% of all shit passes made is still shit passing.

I love the way he realises the error of his ways - he realises he was actually available to receive a pass - quickly gives it back and gets himself marked out of receiving it again. 

That my friends is called being a shithouse.