IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

43 minutes ago, c1982 said:

We should at least ask if that’s the price. He’d be first choice here for many years. I’d sell Kenny in a heartbeat to get someone of Aaron’s quality in - I really rate him.

Aarons should go somewhere he'll play every week, not be a back-up. Even if it is Bayern.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I love the way he realises the error of his ways - he realises he was actually available to receive a pass - quickly gives it back and gets himself marked out of receiving it again. 

That my friends is called being a shithouse. 

The mistake is that he should be trying to turn especially as he is under no pressure but I have no problem with the move he makes after that. He moves into space and its pretty clear that he is expecting the ball to move to the other side of the pitch and he starts moving across the pitch. 

Just now, Bailey said:

The mistake is that he should be trying to turn especially as he is under no pressure but I have no problem with the move he makes after that. He moves into space and its pretty clear that he is expecting the ball to move to the other side of the pitch and he starts moving across the pitch. 

The mistake is trying to imagine that you've ever seen him take the ball on the half turn.

Why would he move in line with the two players and sandwich himself?  Why wouldn't he move out and try and drag a player?  It's gylfi all over for you. 

There wasn't just the one clip btw.... there's quite a collection of gylfi getting himself marked and pointing at someone else for a player to pass to. 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

The mistake is trying to imagine that you've ever seen him take the ball on the half turn.

Why would he move in line with the two players and sandwich himself?  Why wouldn't he move out and try and drag a player?  It's gylfi all over for you. 

There wasn't just the one clip btw.... there's quite a collection of gylfi getting himself marked and pointing at someone else for a player to pass to. 

He did later in the game and fed someone in, can't remember who, might have been Kean but couldn't get a shot off.

If the ball was to stay exactly where it was I would agree with you but the ball moves to the left so as soon as the ball moves he becomes available to receive the ball in space. 

A lot of people think you have to be constantly moving to receive the ball but you don't. You move into space and then trust your teammates to find you. KDB doesn't go hunting around the pitch to pick up the ball, he stands in space and then moves with that space until the ball comes to him. Watching the highlights back Siggy could have had 3 goals from that same type of play. Walcott should have cut the ball back but instead he shot, the goal we scored he was free and then the blast over where he supported the counter attack. 

For me its when he is in the position he is in and he doesn't take responsibility by controlling the ball and turning and looking to go forward instead of back. That is the cardinal sin that pisses me off. In my view that's him passing the buck to Gomes to do something with it. Its fine if we are 3 up and running out the game but now when we are trying to get back into the game.

Could you imagine say Grealish taking a ball in that position and not turning and starting an attack. It was a lazy, safe, shithouse move to knock it back. That's the problem, a massive problem with all 3 that played in midfield because they all largely did the same. Davies less so yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

He did later in the game and fed someone in, can't remember who, might have been Kean but couldn't get a shot off.

If the ball was to stay exactly where it was I would agree with you but the ball moves to the left so as soon as the ball moves he becomes available to receive the ball in space. 

A lot of people think you have to be constantly moving to receive the ball but you don't. You move into space and then trust your teammates to find you. KDB doesn't go hunting around the pitch to pick up the ball, he stands in space and then moves with that space until the ball comes to him. Watching the highlights back Siggy could have had 3 goals from that same type of play. Walcott should have cut the ball back but instead he shot, the goal we scored he was free and then the blast over where he supported the counter attack. 

For me its when he is in the position he is in and he doesn't take responsibility by controlling the ball and turning and looking to go forward instead of back. That is the cardinal sin that pisses me off. In my view that's him passing the buck to Gomes to do something with it. Its fine if we are 3 up and running out the game but now when we are trying to get back into the game.

Could you imagine say Grealish taking a ball in that position and not turning and starting an attack. It was a lazy, safe, shithouse move to knock it back. That's the problem, a massive problem with all 3 that played in midfield because they all largely did the same. Davies less so yesterday. 

Bailey...  you will have to put some examples of KDB hiding from the ball - I see absolutely no parallels between Siggurdson and anyone else like you mentioned...  whether it be KDB, grealish, Madison, Pogba ..... anyone.  

He is a complete disgrace when he plays like that and the only thing you are trying to do is apply some overengineered tactical reason for it.  There is none,   he is a coward.

When you look at the easy target that Davies is and the way some people try and excuse siggy and Gomes for performances like that then some of our fans deserve lazy arsed mercenary players.  

Sick of it.  Too many players think they can fuck about and have no consequence for it. 

It is imperative that we get our business done as early as possible in this window. If we're still faffing about come deadline day I'll be seriously pissed off. Got no problem with us making deals late in the window but if the important moves aren't done fairly early then I'll be asking serious questions of Brands and why the fuck we're paying him big money.

Saw a post earlier about Brands not necessarily doing his supposed job of unearthing youngsters/soon to be stars from around the world which we could hopefully attract and nuture into the next stars of the game. I agree he's not done this yet but would us fans want this approach now - would we be happy with Brands finding and attracting the young Lozano's, Neres, VVDs and letting them grow for 2-3 seasons before they flourish.

I'm not sure we would - we want the ready made players and I think this is part of our problem now.  Our needs have changed, Carlo is a different manager and in a different place to the previous managers we had / thought we could attract. When Brands came in we were probably in a slightly better position than we are now thinking the only way is up and we have time to nurture these types of players. I dont think we do now, unless we are happy bobbing around 10-15th in the table for a couple of seasons. Brands' role has therefore changed in the time he's been here and he may be in unfamiliar territory for what the club needs - Hes not been in this role before where he has to deal for current stars and we probably do not have the money to provide him with the necessary to complete these types of deals, probably due to past club failures.

The board probably are going around in circles as to what the next step/phase/plan is  - do we stick or twist - do we stay with the original plan we had when Brands came to the club or do we change to get the most out of Carlo whilst he is here (and money allows)

17 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Bailey...  you will have to put some examples of KDB hiding from the ball - I see absolutely no parallels between Siggurdson and anyone else like you mentioned...  whether it be KDB, grealish, Madison, Pogba ..... anyone.  

He is a complete disgrace when he plays like that and the only thing you are trying to do is apply some overengineered tactical reason for it.  There is none,   he is a coward.

When you look at the easy target that Davies is and the way some people try and excuse siggy and Gomes for performances like that then some of our fans deserve lazy arsed mercenary players.  

Sick of it.  Too many players think they can fuck about and have no consequence for it. 

That is because you see what you want Haf. Just watch Man City play and you will see exactly what I mean. There was a clip on MNF a year or so ago and it focused on his movement before he played on of those first time crosses into the box which they scored from. He just moved enough to keep himself far enough away from the defenders so that he could see the move and play the ball in one go, or take a touch and do what he needed to.

I don't know what I can say to you if you cannot see that he immediately moves into space and then the ball goes to our right and you can see the players heads move with the ball. Its bread and butter football.

I also don't see anyone trying to excuse Siggy or Gomes.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

That is because you see what you want Haf. Just watch Man City play and you will see exactly what I mean. There was a clip on MNF a year or so ago and it focused on his movement before he played on of those first time crosses into the box which they scored from. He just moved enough to keep himself far enough away from the defenders so that he could see the move and play the ball in one go, or take a touch and do what he needed to.

I don't know what I can say to you if you cannot see that he immediately moves into space and then the ball goes to our right and you can see the players heads move with the ball. Its bread and butter football.

I also don't see anyone trying to excuse Siggy or Gomes.

In your experience of playing or watching football.... how does intelligent movement constitute having an opponent in between you and the person with the ball?

Angles.... where are the angles? He doesn't give any.  He never feigns,  he never offers decoys.... he makes it so easy for other players to mark him out the gane because he does that for them.

Siggurdson went near 3 games without making 1 tackle..... how does that happen. No player had been dribbled  past more than Gomes since the return..

But.... let's have a go at Tom

IN: 
OUT: Schneiderlin, Hornby, Baines (retired), 
LOAN IN: 
LOAN OUT: Markelo

YOUTH: Nkounkou
YOUTH pro deals: Markelo, Ouzounidis, Quirk, Kristensen, McAllister, Hagan, Onyango
CONTRACT EXT: Branthwaite, 

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Stekelenberg(Ajax) , Niasse, Martina, Garbutt, Feeney, Denny, Foulds, Adedoyin, Mampala, Phillips

Tim Cahill tweeted this picture yesterday. We're so far away from this I'd almost forgotten it ever existed...and it wasn't that long ago. I always try to be the glass half full guy but this made me feel like crap. Everyone had a role, everyone knew their role, and most importantly everyone did it to the best of their ability. Carlo's comments about ambition, motivation and passion give me hope we can get back here. We've been chasing the wrong characters for years now. Ok I'm done...for now. 

Devils advocate here.  What top clubs have all nice boys at them?  None.  They all have idiot playboys and me first egos.  The bigger the club the more of them (see Barca real juve psg).  United have pogba and lingard, most top teams have them.  You want a bunch of hard working role players root for burnley Bournemouth and Sheffield.  They aren’t going anywhere.

11 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Tim Cahill tweeted this picture yesterday. We're so far away from this I'd almost forgotten it ever existed...and it wasn't that long ago. I always try to be the glass half full guy but this made me feel like crap. Everyone had a role, everyone knew their role, and most importantly everyone did it to the best of their ability. Carlo's comments about ambition, motivation and passion give me hope we can get back here. We've been chasing the wrong characters for years now. Ok I'm done...for now. 

That team gave me hope. I can’t wait to have that again for Everton 

Here's my story and i'm sticking to it:

2020/21 Starting XI: Ryan Coleman Holgate Umtiti Digne Chiesa Allan Gomes James Richarlison DCL

2020/21 Bench/reserves: Lossl Kenny Mina Gbamin McKennie Davies Walcott Iwobi Gordon Kean

Buy: Ryan(10m) Chiesa(50m) Allan(30m) James(25m) Umtiti(loan) McKennie(20m)    135m total

Sell: Pickford(30m) Gylfi (15m) Bernard(15m) Delph(7m) Keane(20m) Besic(5m) Tosun(10m) Bolasie(5m) Sandro(5m) Pennington(2m) Connolly(2m) Beni (1m) Dowell(3m)       120m total

Loan out: JVirginia Branthwaite Gibson, Nkounkou

30 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Here's my story and i'm sticking to it:

2020/21 Starting XI: Ryan Coleman Holgate Umtiti Digne Chiesa Allan Gomes James Richarlison DCL

2020/21 Bench/reserves: Lossl Kenny Mina Gbamin McKennie Davies Walcott Iwobi Gordon Kean

Buy: Ryan Chiesa Allan James Umtiti(loan) McKennie

Sell: Pickford Gylfi Bernard Delph Keane Besic Tosun Bolasie Sandro Pennington Connolly Beni Dowell

Loan out: JVirginia Branthwaite Gibson, Nkounkou

I’ll have what you’re on mate :P 

assuming LCD produces real life results, what team do you foresee? Just for shits and giggles. 

27 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Devils advocate here.  What top clubs have all nice boys at them?  None.  They all have idiot playboys and me first egos.  The bigger the club the more of them (see Barca real juve psg).  United have pogba and lingard, most top teams have them.  You want a bunch of hard working role players root for burnley Bournemouth and Sheffield.  They aren’t going anywhere.

Not to put words in your mouth but this is another narrative that gets me. Barca won things because of their midfield not Messi. Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets were/are world-class players who made Barca so successful. Messi may be the GOAT (don't want to get into that now) but look at where Barca is without those midfielders. Messi gets too much credit and not enough blame. I digress.

Couple of things here:

1. This is exactly why Juve and PSG can't win the champions league. Built on individual talent which wins their crap leagues but can't sustain when defending/tackling as a team are required. Barca and Real (and now Liverpool sadly) are perfectly balanced with talent, ego and intensity. Hating to lose is a skill in today's world and we lack it almost across the board bar Richarlison, Holgate, Digne, Coleman. 
  2. The premier league top 4 has plenty of hard working players to complement their playboys.
    • ManU have Rashford, Bruno, McTominay, AWB, Greenwood, Matic 
    • City have Fernandinho, Aguero, D Silva, Laporte, Foden, Gundogan
    • Chelsea have Kante, Azpilicueta, Mount, Willian, Pulisic
    • The shite have Fabinho, Firmino, Milner, Henderson, Robertson, TAA
  3. Never said anything about role players. The team pictured above, of so-called role players, finished 7th and the subs bench consisted of names like Hibbert, Bilyaletdinov, Beckford, Magaye Gueye, Fellaini, Osman, Vellios, Anichebe and Rodwell. If we were able to surround that starting XI with a few more pieces champions league would have been a possibility. As it is now we're MILES away. Spurs and Arsenal both had shit seasons and wolves and leicester left us in the dust. We finished behind Burnley and Southampton FFS. 

44 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Not to put words in your mouth but this is another narrative that gets me. Barca won things because of their midfield not Messi. Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets were/are world-class players who made Barca so successful. Messi may be the GOAT (don't want to get into that now) but look at where Barca is without those midfielders. Messi gets too much credit and not enough blame. I digress.

Couple of things here:

1. This is exactly why Juve and PSG can't win the champions league. Built on individual talent which wins their crap leagues but can't sustain when defending/tackling as a team are required. Barca and Real (and now Liverpool sadly) are perfectly balanced with talent, ego and intensity. Hating to lose is a skill in today's world and we lack it almost across the board bar Richarlison, Holgate, Digne, Coleman. 
  2. The premier league top 4 has plenty of hard working players to complement their playboys.
    • ManU have Rashford, Bruno, McTominay, AWB, Greenwood, Matic 
    • City have Fernandinho, Aguero, D Silva, Laporte, Foden, Gundogan
    • Chelsea have Kante, Azpilicueta, Mount, Willian, Pulisic
    • The shite have Fabinho, Firmino, Milner, Henderson, Robertson, TAA
  3. Never said anything about role players. The team pictured above, of so-called role players, finished 7th and the subs bench consisted of names like Hibbert, Bilyaletdinov, Beckford, Magaye Gueye, Fellaini, Osman, Vellios, Anichebe and Rodwell. If we were able to surround that starting XI with a few more pieces champions league would have been a possibility. As it is now we're MILES away. Spurs and Arsenal both had shit seasons and wolves and leicester left us in the dust. We finished behind Burnley and Southampton FFS. 

I’m saying all the teams in CL perennially have a bunch of ego and selfish pricks on their squads.  Sure there are one offs like Leicester, but the ones that are there year by year are filled with the players most on here said they don’t want.  Maybe the issue isn’t those players, just a thought.  Ronaldo is all about himself and doesn’t work for the teAm, juve won the league and are still alive in CL.  Everton would love to be in that position.  Barca lives and dies with Messi.  PSG have Neymar being Neymar and mbappe doing a lite version of neymar.  Yet they win!  And win a lot!  They don’t play for the badge. They play for themselves and their paycheck.  Still win!  

just another point of view.  Not saying I agree with it, but I like to take a look at all view points myself before making a decision.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m saying all the teams in CL perennially have a bunch of ego and selfish pricks on their squads.  Sure there are one offs like Leicester, but the ones that are there year by year are filled with the players most on here said they don’t want.  Maybe the issue isn’t those players, just a thought.  Ronaldo is all about himself and doesn’t work for the teAm, juve won the league and are still alive in CL.  Everton would love to be in that position.  Barca lives and dies with Messi.  PSG have Neymar being Neymar and mbappe doing a lite version of neymar.  Yet they win!  And win a lot!  They don’t play for the badge. They play for themselves and their paycheck.  Still win!  

just another point of view.  Not saying I agree with it, but I like to take a look at all view points myself before making a decision.

Yea understood I guess we view Ronaldo's work ethic and Barca's 'success' differently, at least within this conversation. I'm just not sure using Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and Mbappe is fair for the devil's advocate POV. Everyone in the world would take those four on their team regardless of cost/work ethic issues. It's the tier/pool beneath that that we find ourselves swimming in and it's not working. We haven't found a single player whose ego or shitty work ethic can be overcome by their talent. And we probably never will that is where we're talking about the big global clubs. 

Also I'm with you to some extent as I want to sign James and believe me I'm under no illusion he gives a hoot about this club. 

45 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Yea understood I guess we view Ronaldo's work ethic and Barca's 'success' differently, at least within this conversation. I'm just not sure using Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and Mbappe is fair for the devil's advocate POV. Everyone in the world would take those four on their team regardless of cost/work ethic issues. It's the tier/pool beneath that that we find ourselves swimming in and it's not working. We haven't found a single player whose ego or shitty work ethic can be overcome by their talent. And we probably never will that is where we're talking about the big global clubs. 

Also I'm with you to some extent as I want to sign James and believe me I'm under no illusion he gives a hoot about this club. 

i think it's a good mix of both to be honest.  that everton team you posted was great, what if we had lukaku in that team?  sure he wasn't playing for the badge but a proper striker could have been the difference between 4-5 and 1-2 finish.  who knows?  that's what i'm saying.  it's great to have people playing for the badge (i love davies for this reason) but i think if we want CL we will have to accept some mercenaries and my current thought is that its up to the manager to balance all these types of players and get them playing together and motivated.  cue Carlo.  i feel we are in good hands.

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

In your experience of playing or watching football.... how does intelligent movement constitute having an opponent in between you and the person with the ball?

Angles.... where are the angles? He doesn't give any.  He never feigns,  he never offers decoys.... he makes it so easy for other players to mark him out the gane because he does that for them.

Siggurdson went near 3 games without making 1 tackle..... how does that happen. No player had been dribbled  past more than Gomes since the return..

But.... let's have a go at Tom

1. He moves into space.

2. As soon as the ball moves which it clearly is give the movement of Gomes and the way he is looking, he will then be in space to receive the ball from whoever gets it next. 

3. The ball clearly goes left and therefore he is correct. 

4. There was an article from a website called EPL index or something like that talking about the tactics in the game. In almost every still of us, Siggy is in space or moving into space.

5. Go back and look at the goal and the Walcott chance in the first half and tell me he isn't looking to receive the ball.

6. I think he plays the pass to Coleman before the goal by finding some space (can't check right now), and also look at the Coleman shot where he is in space and admittedly plays a shit ball to Coleman that luckily gets there. 

7. Yet again, everyone has had a go at all players, so don't go all poor Tom.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The main points have been covered by Albany but I will just add that I don't ever see an Everton team being a real Everton side without hard working grafters being a big part of the side. I'm not saying they all have to be like that but for me the best Everton performances have come through hard work and playing as a team, not by being flash or individuals.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

1. He moves into space.

2. As soon as the ball moves which it clearly is give the movement of Gomes and the way he is looking, he will then be in space to receive the ball from whoever gets it next. 

3. The ball clearly goes left and therefore he is correct. 

4. There was an article from a website called EPL index or something like that talking about the tactics in the game. In almost every still of us, Siggy is in space or moving into space.

5. Go back and look at the goal and the Walcott chance in the first half and tell me he isn't looking to receive the ball.

6. I think he plays the pass to Coleman before the goal by finding some space (can't check right now), and also look at the Coleman shot where he is in space and admittedly plays a shit ball to Coleman that luckily gets there. 

7. Yet again, everyone has had a go at all players, so don't go all poor Tom.

The main points have been covered by Albany but I will just add that I don't ever see an Everton team being a real Everton side without hard working grafters being a big part of the side. I'm not saying they all have to be like that but for me the best Everton performances have come through hard work and playing as a team, not by being flash or individuals.

What do you make of this one?  I read this one in particular.... less than 10 minutes left.

there's a load btw

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

What do you make of this one?  I read this one in particular.... less than 10 minutes left.

there's a load btw

I’m no big fan of Gylfi, but that looks to me like his not asking for the ball but he is also dictating where the play should go. To team mates in space and keeping possession. 
The pattern of play could have been to draw the opposition out, looks like they have a lot of men back there. It could also be a recovery phase of play (which always got the crowd on Schneiderlin’s back for doing that, though I’m sure his teammates appreciated it).

You can’t judge a passage of play on a seven second clip. You’d need to see at least 30 seconds and ideally the whole pitch to know exactly what’s going on. 

We have to always be at extremes with our players don’t we?! They have to be great or shit. They can’t just be out of form, they have to be shit houses or spineless. Looking forward to the next few weeks to not see so much negativity. It’s exhausting. 

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m no big fan of Gylfi, but that looks to me like his not asking for the ball but he is also dictating where the play should go. To team mates in space and keeping possession. 
The pattern of play could have been to draw the opposition out, looks like they have a lot of men back there. It could also be a recovery phase of play (which always got the crowd on Schneiderlin’s back for doing that, though I’m sure his teammates appreciated it).

You can’t judge a passage of play on a seven second clip. You’d need to see at least 30 seconds and ideally the whole pitch to know exactly what’s going on. 

We have to always be at extremes with our players don’t we?! They have to be great or shit. They can’t just be out of form, they have to be shit houses or spineless. Looking forward to the next few weeks to not see so much negativity. It’s exhausting. 

On the glimpse we get in that clip it looks clear that Siggy has the opportunity to get the ball slid into him and that he can then look or drive forward. Two issues, one he rarely ever dribbles or drives towards goal like that (never been in his game as infuriating as it is) and secondly like SteveO said we have no idea what was really happening at that point. Shape, space etc. Saying that we were 3-2 down and he could have got in between the lines. His delivery from set pieces and long range shooting is good but the finesse passing around the box and dribblin towards goal taking on the player isn’t in his locker. Calling him obscenities in my opinion isn’t right as I just don’t think he’s that type of player, never was or never will be. He does what he’s always done just he doesn’t fit with our team now or likely to in the future. 

Since Barry how many midfielders have we had that take the ball on the turn and try to get it forward because I can only think of two and one of them was a striker, Rooney, the other being Davies. Gomes, Schneiderlin, Gana, and Sigurdssen have taken the piss out of this club. 

Similar situation with the defenders. The amount of times I've seen them pass the ball 10 yards forwards rather than carry it and allow the whole team to push up is infuriating. We've barely got a player that takes responsibility and drives the team forwards. Main two are probably Holgate and Davies which again must shows how much the seniors are taking the piss. I'll give a pass to Walcott, unlike his teammates do, as he's always making good runs but the shitbags in this team would rather give the ball sideways. 

58 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Since Barry how many midfielders have we had that take the ball on the turn and try to get it forward because I can only think of two and one of them was a striker, Rooney, the other being Davies. Gomes, Schneiderlin, Gana, and Sigurdssen have taken the piss out of this club. 

Similar situation with the defenders. The amount of times I've seen them pass the ball 10 yards forwards rather than carry it and allow the whole team to push up is infuriating. We've barely got a player that takes responsibility and drives the team forwards. Main two are probably Holgate and Davies which again must shows how much the seniors are taking the piss. I'll give a pass to Walcott, unlike his teammates do, as he's always making good runs but the shitbags in this team would rather give the ball sideways. 

I wouldn’t write off Gomes off just yet. I just think he and Davies are too similar hence why our midfield has struggled.

9 hours ago, barryj said:

On the glimpse we get in that clip it looks clear that Siggy has the opportunity to get the ball slid into him and that he can then look or drive forward. Two issues, one he rarely ever dribbles or drives towards goal like that (never been in his game as infuriating as it is) and secondly like SteveO said we have no idea what was really happening at that point. Shape, space etc. Saying that we were 3-2 down and he could have got in between the lines. His delivery from set pieces and long range shooting is good but the finesse passing around the box and dribblin towards goal taking on the player isn’t in his locker. Calling him obscenities in my opinion isn’t right as I just don’t think he’s that type of player, never was or never will be. He does what he’s always done just he doesn’t fit with our team now or likely to in the future. 

The biggest problem with Gylfi is that he's never been what we needed or suited any way we've played since signing him. That's exacerbated how bad he's looked becuase he does have qualities, it's just that those qualities have never been something that would be worth £45m to us or be things we could take advantage of.

A disaster of a signing and one I have never been able to get my head around.