IGNORED

Yerry Mina

5 hours ago, aaron said:

Please tell me you aren't pronouncing his name as miner?

We all though Zouma brought the best in Keane out, but what if it was big Mick Kegger who is brought the best in Zouma out and is now making King Yerald look a belter?

?? how do you get that from my post?  i pronounce his name correctly as i can speak spanish and am not an idiot.  you brits are the ones who pronounce words ending with "a" as "er" not us americans.  vodker being a classic one.  we pronounce it vodka.  so actually i should ask you, are YOU pronouncing it correctly?

14 hours ago, StevO said:

I watched MOTD from last night and it really didn’t look like Mina won the ball on the penalty incident. To also have VAR look at it and not give them penalty doesn’t give me much faith in VAR. Dont get me wrong, I’m glad they never got the penalty but just doesn’t give me faith that the right decisions are being made. 

He doesn't have to win the ball if they determine the contact wasn't enough for a foul. Also, I believe there is a "clear and obvious" bar that has to be met. Very similar to american football where it has to be obvious or the call on the field stands. It's possible that if a penalty had been given it would not have been overturned either.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

?? how do you get that from my post?  i pronounce his name correctly as i can speak spanish and am not an idiot.  you brits are the ones who pronounce words ending with "a" as "er" not us americans.  vodker being a classic one.  we pronounce it vodka.  so actually i should ask you, are YOU pronouncing it correctly?

haha I presumed with "GREAT WALL OF MINA" you was rhyming Miner with China. I pronounce it Meena. I don't think ive ever heard anyone say it as vodker tbh, always been vodka, must be a southern thing that.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

....you brits are the ones who pronounce words ending with "a" as "er" not us americans.  vodker being a classic one.  we pronounce it vodka.  so actually i should ask you, are YOU pronouncing it correctly?

It's our language so how we say things is right, no argument😎.

That said I'm not understanding your point, karma and calmer both sound the same do they not? Vodka is vodka is vodka surely? If you spelt it vodker the pronunciation would still be the same even if the spelling was wrong. I'm confused.

17 hours ago, StevO said:

I watched MOTD from last night and it really didn’t look like Mina won the ball on the penalty incident. To also have VAR look at it and not give them penalty doesn’t give me much faith in VAR. Dont get me wrong, I’m glad they never got the penalty but just doesn’t give me faith that the right decisions are being made. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Looked to me like he brought Geri down but didn’t get a touch on the ball. 

As others have said there was contact but it was a question of whether it was enough to bring the player to the ground.

Penalty or not it's still a silly and unnecessary challenge to make as he was running towards the touch line. Reminded me of Gana against Utd last year. 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

He doesn't have to win the ball if they determine the contact wasn't enough for a foul. Also, I believe there is a "clear and obvious" bar that has to be met. Very similar to american football where it has to be obvious or the call on the field stands. It's possible that if a penalty had been given it would not have been overturned either.

The last sentence is key as by the laws of the game I don't think it would as it wouldn't be clear and obvious that there wasnt enough contact to bring him down.

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's wrong for a start as the "l" is silent in calm in both in the US and the UK according to this..

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/calm

...and to my ear "muh" and "mer" are identical.

mike you are proving my point :)  muh and mer sound very different in american english, in your fancy king's english you state they sound the same.  that's my point.  also everyone i've ever encountered in america pronounces the L in calmer and in calm.  we pronounce things differently, who woulda thought? :)

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

mike you are proving my point :)  muh and mer sound very different in american english, in your fancy king's english you state they sound the same.  that's my point.  also everyone i've ever encountered in america pronounces the L in calmer and in calm.  we pronounce things differently, who woulda thought? :)

I've never heard the "l" used in calm and I've been watching American TV on and off for 50+ years, be interested to hear from other US members what they think.  

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I've never heard the "l" used in calm and I've been watching American TV on and off for 50+ years, be interested to hear from other US members what they think.  

The "l" is silent, but it varies depending on your location. Like in the Southern US I wouldn't be surprised to hear a very slight "l" sound, but I've always said it silently personally.

Every one stay "cahm."

Just now, Sibdane said:

The "l" is silent, but it varies depending on your location. Like in the Southern US I wouldn't be surprised to hear a very slight "l" sound, but I've always said it silently personally.

Every one stay "cahm."

Even your numpty in chief keeps it silent:otvwhistle:.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

It's our language so how we say things is right, no argument😎.

That said I'm not understanding your point, karma and calmer both sound the same do they not? Vodka is vodka is vodka surely? If you spelt it vodker the pronunciation would still be the same even if the spelling was wrong. I'm confused.

Agreed, but how come when y'all sing, ya sound 'Merican? 😀

But Kar-ma and calm-er?

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s our language it started on the shores of Blighty old boy, we lent it to you so I think it’s about time you come up with your own language and stop diluting ours. 

My suggestion would be a mixture of 1st nation Spanish English and a twist of Italian for that authentic touch. 

But whilst you’re still borrowing ours please don’t try and tell us we are speaking it wrong😉

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It’s our language it started on the shores of Blighty old boy, we lent it to you so I think it’s about time you come up with your own language and stop diluting ours. 

My suggestion would be a mixture of 1st nation Spanish English and a twist of Italian for that authentic touch. 

But whilst you’re still borrowing ours please don’t try and tell us we are speaking it wrong😉

Hey now Pal, if anything we made it better.

:guns:

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Missed this one. Is the "er" in British English pronounced with the "a" sound? @MikeO 

Pretty much I think, if you take "wafer" as an example you can hear the difference between the UK and US versions, not sure how to link but I'll try. Click on the audio icons...

American https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wafer

English https://www.google.com/search?q=wafer+dictionary&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB788GB788&oq=wafer+dictionary&aqs=chrome..69i57.13149j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, Haiku said:

That's the classic confusion with Latin languages. In Slavic languages, you always pronounce the words right when you read them, because each letter has only one correct pronunciation.

I agree that English makes no sense at all and breaks rules at every turn; must be a nightmare to learn if it's not your mother tongue.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Let’s get it straight: It’s the people of Cornwall who end words with “er”, like vodker, pianner, and the country Chiner. Now, let’s get back on track: This thread is supposed to be about Minner. 

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I agree that English makes no sense at all and breaks rules at every turn; must be a nightmare to learn if it's not your mother tongue.

That was a deliberate ploy to stop others from speaking it, and as much as how hard it is to learn it’s the language of choice for global interaction.