IGNORED

Yerry Mina

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

I've never heard the "l" used in calm and I've been watching American TV on and off for 50+ years, be interested to hear from other US members what they think.  

The "l" is fairly soft, as opposed to when it starts a word - "like" or a word ends in "ly". The only people I would expect not to pronounce the "l" in calm, would be those w a strong northeast US accent - Boston/JFK type accent, NJ or NY, which Trump has a bit of. They tend to pronounce the letter "a" hard, and stretch it out a bit. Calm would be more like "kahm", less so that the l is silent, but more the "ah" is so damned loud. 

The rest of us say "cal-m" (NSFW)

8 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

He doesn't have to win the ball if they determine the contact wasn't enough for a foul. Also, I believe there is a "clear and obvious" bar that has to be met. Very similar to american football where it has to be obvious or the call on the field stands. It's possible that if a penalty had been given it would not have been overturned either.

I get the rules Sparty, it just looked to me like he brought him down without winning the ball. If you bring a player down without winning the ball it’s a foul. 

My whole point being that VAR was to be brought in to make decisions right, to sort out the black and white, but now it seems like it’s there to just for the sake of it. They don’t want to over rule referees, they don’t seem to be telling the ref to go and look at the screen themselves. I know it’s early, but from the last two weekends I’m losing faith already. 

Mina has kept two clean sheets though. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I get the rules Sparty, it just looked to me like he brought him down without winning the ball. If you bring a player down without winning the ball it’s a foul. 

My whole point being that VAR was to be brought in to make decisions right, to sort out the black and white, but now it seems like it’s there to just for the sake of it. They don’t want to over rule referees, they don’t seem to be telling the ref to go and look at the screen themselves. I know it’s early, but from the last two weekends I’m losing faith already. 

Mina has kept two clean sheets though. 

I hear ya. They definitely need to do a better job of explaining the protocol to the fans. In this case I think whichever call the ref made in real time was gonna stand as it was close enough to not be “clear and obvious” either way.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don’t forget, though, no one signed for us because of the manager. 

Pretty sure half the players hadn't heard of him. Mina is Columbian and was at Barca at the time, very unlikely he'd know who the Hull/Watford manager was. 

If the manager was all that we'd not put brands on the board. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

He is looking the real deal for me, another huge display against Wolves clearly our best defender on the pitch. 

Changed man, was worried about him before this season started as he had to hit the ground running with no depth at CB. Been class. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Still frightens me when going in for a tackle, and with Keane alongside I was surprised how easy Wolves won the ball from crosses, corners, and throw ins.

Everyone keeps saying this but he’s got enough acceleration and is tall enough that even if he’s beat when he does tackle those long legs are able to get the ball away cleanly.  He will never be a pretty defender, but unorthodox doesn’t mean ineffective, it just looks funky.  Who cares how it looks?  Not me, he does his job very well and is proving to be yet another astute signing by brands.

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

They don't have to have known who he was from his time with Watford and Hull to have signed for him. They'll have had meetings with him before signing, he'll have sold his vision to them etc. Leading them to buy into all that and therefore signing for us because of him and what he had to say.

But you keep believing that the manager, the man these players deal with on a daily basis, had nothing to do with us securing signings.

What are paying Brands for then? 

Silva’s communication before they sign will mostly be a courtesy. 

27 minutes ago, pete0 said:

What are paying Brands for then? 

Silva’s communication before they sign will mostly be a courtesy. 

I don’t believe I said Silva was the only one responsible for players wanting to sign for us. But you’re suggesting that the man the players will be playing for, have to communicate with and deal with on a daily basis, has no influence with those players before they sign. That is naive at best. 

Like I said, you keep believing it but it’s weird that you seem to actually actively want to find ways to discredit our manager. Let’s just agree to disagree. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t believe I said Silva was the only one responsible for players wanting to sign for us. But you’re suggesting that the man the players will be playing for, have to communicate with and deal with on a daily basis, has no influence with those players before they sign. That is naive at best. 

Like I said, you keep believing it but it’s weird that you seem to actually actively want to find ways to discredit our manager. Let’s just agree to disagree. 

How much time do you think Silva puts in before they sign? 

I'd imagine it's mostly a phone call. Potentially a meeting. Whereas Brand's is in constant communication. He's the one the players are buying in to.