IGNORED

Yerry Mina

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

How hypocritical is that given the FA only stopped having an official betting partner less than two years ago and all, AFAIK, the clubs have one? Lots including us of course have them as shirt sponsors, stupid rule given the situation. Personally I'd like to see bookies binned altogether, whether sponsors or "partners".

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

How hypocritical is that given the FA only stopped having an official betting partner less than two years ago and all, AFAIK, the clubs have one? Lots including us of course have them as shirt sponsors, stupid rule given the situation. Personally I'd like to see bookies binned altogether, whether sponsors or "partners".

Double standards everywhere. If they are happy having adverts on shirts then players can’t be punished for collecting a pay check.

im with you mike, the amount of advertising betting gets during a game is disgusting. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Yeah, but they say “gamble responsibly” at the end of the advert so it’s all ok isn’t it? 

They say pretty much the same on booze bottles but alcohol advertising isn'tt allowed on TV so why are bookies? I don't gamble at all, very rarely have because it doesn't really interest me but I have once or twice when I lived in London had "inside" tips on horses (which failed) and found myself betting on the next couple of races to try and get my losses back, so I can see how it can get out of hand for many; though obviously not all. If you have money to spare and go into it quite willing and able to lose it then fine, but it does destroy many lives.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

wow you can't advertise alcohol on tv in england?

Actually I got that wrong (don't watch much TV), companies can advertise alcoholic stuff but are governed by strict rules.

https://www.asa.org.uk/asset/A16332A3-5F4F-44F3-999DFD2BD7159F8F/

Tobacco ads long since banned though, where do you draw the line and make a product/service that can cause addiction bad for the populace? Nanny state some would argue, it's difficult. Many moons ago I worked for an addiction charity and we had one client whose problem was caffeine, they were on about seventy spoonfulls of instant coffee a day (dry, not made into a drink). Also a lady who was an alcoholic but drank ethanol based mouthwash because it wasn't vodka or whatever so she could justify it.

You can't ban coffee or mouthwash ads obviously. It's a minefield.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Actually I got that wrong (don't watch much TV), companies can advertise alcoholic stuff but are governed by strict rules.

https://www.asa.org.uk/asset/A16332A3-5F4F-44F3-999DFD2BD7159F8F/

Tobacco ads long since banned though, where do you draw the line and make a product/service that can cause addiction bad for the populace? Nanny state some would argue, it's difficult. Many moons ago I worked for an addiction charity and we had one client whose problem was caffeine, they were on about seventy spoonfulls of instant coffee a day (dry, not made into a drink). Also a lady who was an alcoholic but drank ethanol based mouthwash because it wasn't vodka or whatever so she could justify it.

You can't ban coffee or mouthwash ads obviously. It's a minefield.

Same in the USA regarding Tobacco. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for cigarettes on TV.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2019/05/14/mina

Everton star Yerry Mina says he feels "honoured" after being recognised for his charitable and community efforts off the pitch by being named the Club’s PFA Community Champion for 2018-19.

gonna be honest i did not expect that from Mina, very pleased.  I"m still backing him and think he will be great next year.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Everton star Yerry Mina says he feels "honoured" after being recognised for his charitable and community efforts off the pitch by being named the Club’s PFA Community Champion for 2018-19.

gonna be honest i did not expect that from Mina, very pleased.  I"m still backing him and think he will be great next year.

I’m not that surprised, he seems very charismatic and a great lad. Hope you’re right and his playing match’s his off field success 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2019 at 14:25, markjazzbassist said:

Nice to see, but we shouldn't be choosing players for this reason. Naismith comes to mind.

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

I think there is a very good player in there, he just needs a good, full, pre-season and a run of games in the side to prove himself.

Barca and Brands rate him.

Not convinced Barca rate him to be honest. 

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

I think there is a very good player in there, he just needs a good, full, pre-season and a run of games in the side to prove himself.

Barca and Brands rate him.

He was excellent at the world cup too. 

His performances for us haven't been that bad either. Think he might be a Fellaini/Ivanovic, just looks awkward because of his size/body type. 

16 hours ago, London Blue said:

They did buy him.

I know they sold him to us but its not like he was transfer listed or they were pushing him out the door.

I think they were pretty happy to move him on. 

Does the transfer list thing still exist? 

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

I assume so but that it’s more managed by agents than clubs. 

That’s what I was thinking. You never hear of a player being listed anymore, but you hear that they have been told to find another club. 

On 02/11/2018 at 22:42, Zoo 2.0 said:

South Americans especially have a hard time getting into Barcelona and Real Madrid as they are mostly bought for marketing purposes. There is a power struggle between the two to be the most marketable which is why so many flavour of the month players from that continent make the switch and then get thrown onto the rubbish heap when they next one comes along. James Rodriguez was signed by Madrid after a solid World Cup although they already had Isco and Modric. Yerry Mina was signed for Barcelona despite Pique and Umtiti being one of the best centre-back pairings in Europe and they signed Malcom as he's an up and coming Brazilian that's popular at the moment. There was also an insane power struggle between Madrid and Barcelona for the signature of Neymar (so much so that he's still on Florentino Perez's radar) and to a latter extent Vincius Junior who's signed for Real Madrid for £40,000,000 despite being just 17.

It will continue to go on and on. South Americans will sign for Madrid and Barcelona as a marketing PR stunt before being tossed aside when the next one comes along. I disagree that Barcelona are terrible at integrating new ''players'' into their team (Lenglet, Arthur, Coutinho and Semedo for example are doing well) but without a doubt they sign players that they have no intentions of using just to expand the brand. 

I don't think he will leave either for what it's worth. Ousmane Dembele has a terrible attitude, most famously smashing up Jurgen Klopp's flat when he was denied a transfer out of Dortmund so is expected to leave Spain as the management there have had enough of him. I expect him to depart for Arsenal as early as this January leaving Malcom free to be the ''bit-part'' player of the front three. 

On 25/05/2019 at 00:54, StevO said:

Not convinced Barca rate him to be honest. 

See the top quote for an insight into how Barcelona and Real Madrid operate when it comes to South American talent. Most of them are bought for commercial reasons and it was no different with Yerry Mina. He was never going to get ahead of Gerard Pique, nor Clement Lenglet that had just been signed from Sevilla. 

As for my personal opinion I really like Mina. An absolute unit that could do a really good job alongside another centre half, he's been dogged with injuries this season which has held him back but he's got plenty in the tank to do a job for us.

4 hours ago, Deacs said:

Fair play. So ideally we sign Zouma, he and Keane continue where they left off at the end of the season. Mina hopefully stays fit and pushes them both on next season. Competition for a place in the side has to be a good thing.

Too right, perfect scenario mate. 

• 2 weeks later...