IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

7 hours ago, Steve_E said:

Didn't necessarily have a bad game, but he didn't really add anything either, and I don't think he will in the future either as a more advanced midfielder as his main strength is ball retention. Would love to see James in his place in the middle with Allan and Doucouré. Add Walcott's pace on the right.

My thoughts as well. Not saying he had a bad game as such, but I do think if he wants to retain his place, he needs to step it up.

I actually thought Siggy looked better when he came on. 

9 hours ago, London Blue said:

I come from a pretty tough place and Gomes does not strike me as particularly weak. There are many types of weakness and believe me when I say everybody has them. 

Cant remember him loosing the ball more than any other player, when I watched I saw him link the play well, tackle, press and pass. Yes he was a bit rusty as was everyone.

He was also playing in a new position higher up the pitch. But football is a game of opinions and I respect yours.

I just wish ALL Evertonians would be positive and get behind the players, especially when we have just beaten so called big side away from home and fully deserved it.

COYB

Not sure which fans weren’t behind them? I certainly was 100% behind the team. 

But that doesn’t stop me from having an opinion about Gomes in the GOMES thread. It’s not that I thought he had a bad game, just that I thought he was more one of the weaker players out there. The couple of time’s when he ended up being the last man between the forwards and defence when they had the Ball... was a worry for me, and ended up in attacks for them. I would have rather he brought the player down in their half and stopped the attack. 
He is a very good player and can be a lot better than that. It’s just now I think he needs to be better, as we have options available.

But you have your own view and saw it differently than me, and could be right. It’s just how I saw it that’s all, I could be wrong 🙂

I'm really surprised to come in here and read some of this to be honest.

I thought the midfield was brilliant, all of them. Yeah, some were better than others but they were all very good and I didn't think there was a weak link between them.

In fact, the only weak link in the entire side was Coleman and that was only a couple of instances early on in the first half! Proper team performance.

Looking at the highlights he was a lot more involved that I remember and linked up well with James. So that’s a good thing. He drifted out the game later on, maybe fatigue but also Richy seemed to be dominating his position on the inside left as he dropped back.

I love Gomes but I’d like to see Bernard have a go in that role too. Gomes’ best games have always been when he is deeper and central but Allan and The Count are there now. I really hope we can find a place for G to shine in this new look team. My fear is that he will become obsolete to us.

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thought he did well enough but he was very safe. He took them on a bit more as the game went on but it was all a bit timid. There is more to come from him.

This for me. I think I mentioned it in the match day thread, but he’s had a more defensive role the last 2 seasons which isn’t what he was brought to do. The “turn and pass back every time” needs to be coached out of him a bit, and having the others around him capable of playing centrally and further up will help him dramatically 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, StevO said:

I did too. I don’t doubt that against Southampton when there is a little more time on the ball he will be much better than today. 

He won’t have Richarlison ahead of him, hopefully it’ll be someone who isn’t marked so heavily and can receive the ball like Bernard. 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Hid big time.  Watch the first half, we couldn't get on the ball, Keane on the ball 3 times and went long cos Gomes didn't come for ball. 

I watched it, he didn’t hide.

Allan must’ve hid today then because he should’ve been there to receive the ball those three times as well.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Nonsense. He's had a preseason, he's trained ..... Mane had 2 weeks isolated with Covid. More excuses. 

Pre season has nothing to do with being rusty due to being out for 3 weeks.

Yes he was poor today, but he has been good in the other games he has played in. He has formed a great relationship with the rest of our midfield. I look forward to seeing him continue that.

he was off the pace today but i wouldn't say he was hiding.  just not a good game for him.  gylfi didn't do much better when he was on.  due to our players now the more advanced of the midfield 3 doesn't see the ball as much (we go through the flanks alot or James) and since they are more advanced they don't defend as deep either so we don't see them smothering with a press.  we just need them to be able to link midfield to attack and do it quickly which andre does well with his passing range and quickness.

like bailey said against a team that will give us space you will see a lot more of him, against a team that doesn't it's the flanks we go through.

He was very poor today his touch for what ever reason deserted him, and his decision making was off. 
I do get what Haf is getting at when he said he was hiding, just maybe the terminology is misleading, there were times when he was static and showing no movement to find space to receive the ball, but in his defence he was not the only one, I mentioned during the match a few times there was a distinct lack of movement in front of the back 4 and Allan, which you could see was frustrating Keane and Allan, I can only put this down to tiredness, I believe that work rate required to chase Liverpool when they were in possession took it’s toll on some players with Gomes being one, so when we eventually won the ball back some where looking for a little breather and not always willing to move and receive the ball immediately through exhaustion of working so hard chasing the ball and players down. 
And added to that for Gomes his poor first touch and decision making it turned into a very poor game for him, I thought he should have been replaced at halftime but this is only my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I watched it, he didn’t hide.

Allan must’ve hid today then because he should’ve been there to receive the ball those three times as well.

I've no doubt you watched it.  Seeing it is another thing.

Gomes on several occasions pinned himself to a Liverpool player when we had the ball....  He wasn't wanting to get on the ball when defence were looking to get it out.

Hence Keane shouting at him.  Maybe bit was just me and Keane who seen it. 

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

Pre season has nothing to do with being rusty due to being out for 3 weeks.

Yes he was poor today, but he has been good in the other games he has played in. He has formed a great relationship with the rest of our midfield. I look forward to seeing him continue that.

He's been better than we had been used to.  But nowhere near the levels he's capable of.