IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I didnt know what role he was supposed to be playing today and it seemed that neither did he!

He looks like that when he's playing in his usual position.... It's called having a really shit game 

Sadly the lad doesn't seem to know what a good game is anymore

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

It was a lot of both. 

Matt I refuse to accept that any manager never mind Ancelotti would send a player on the pitch with out any direction or game plan, the manager was forced into changing his tactics due to injuries and suspensions, they would have worked on this in training and would have known their role in the system, some of the players weren’t on it they have proven one thing to Ancelotti their not good enough to adapt to change, that’s their lack of ability and understanding not the managers. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Matt I refuse to accept that any manager never mind Ancelotti would send a player on the pitch with out any direction or game plan, the manager was forced into changing his tactics due to injuries and suspensions, they would have worked on this in training and would have known their role in the system, some of the players weren’t on it they have proven one thing to Ancelotti their not good enough to adapt to change, that’s their lack of ability and understanding not the managers. 

I get that he was forced into a massive change but we had 0 energy and basically passed it sideways or backwards. It’s absolutely on the players but to give the manager a clean pass is naive. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I get that he was forced into a massive change but we had 0 energy and basically passed it sideways or backwards. It’s absolutely on the players but to give the manager a clean pass is naive. 

The manager sends the team out with direction, the players are responsible for putting the energy in the hard yards in he can’t do that for them, the game plan was obviously working until the first goal and poor decision went against us on 56 minutes, then he to try and make changes and chase the game. 
And the plan would have been keep it tight and take your opportunities, we kept it tight but didn’t take the opportunities that we created in that system, being Gylfi’s air shot in front of goal 5 yards out and DCL’s 6 yard shot across the goal high and wide, both players new they should have done better and at minimum worked the keeper. 
You can’t ignore those sorts of missed opportunities as if they didn’t happen or matter, then hang the manager and his tactics, when with basic average finishing we would have walked away with the win. 

53 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Are you saying that Ancelotti sent him out to play with out any direction, or that he wasn’t good enough?

I would say the role he was being asked to play wasn't exactly clear and that he wasn't good enough on the day to play it. 

35 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He looks like that when he's playing in his usual position.... It's called having a really shit game 

Sadly the lad doesn't seem to know what a good game is anymore

He was playing with 4 other central midfielders so he definitely wasn't playing his "normal" position because there was nothing normal about the line-up nor the tactics. 

There were far too many square pegs in round holes.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The manager sends the team out with direction, the players are responsible for putting the energy in the hard yards in he can’t do that for them, the game plan was obviously working until the first goal and poor decision went against us on 56 minutes, then he to try and make changes and chase the game. 
And the plan would have been keep it tight and take your opportunities, we kept it tight but didn’t take the opportunities that we created in that system, being Gylfi’s air shot in front of goal 5 yards out and DCL’s 6 yard shot across the goal high and wide, both players new they should have done better and at minimum worked the keeper. 
You can’t ignore those sorts of missed opportunities as if they didn’t happen or matter, then hang the manager and his tactics, when with basic average finishing we would have walked away with the win. 

If that is the sum of the direction given we would all be managers! 

26 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If that is the sum of the direction given we would all be managers! 

So does that mean the manager is responsible for getting the players to give their all, if a player can’t motivate himself to try his hardest and give his all every time he steps on the pitch, without it being coaxed out of him by his manager, then he shouldn’t be in the game no ifs or buts. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

So does that mean the manager is responsible for getting the players to give their all, if a player can’t motivate himself to try his hardest and give his all every time he steps on the pitch, without it being coaxed out of him by his manager, then he shouldn’t be in the game no ifs or buts. 

Its not as simple as that Palfy. If a player isn't sure or comfortable about exactly what they should be doing and where they should be they tend to play more hesitantly and/or cautiously which I would say sums up todays team performance, not just Gomes. 

There wasn't anything I saw from Gomes to say that he wasn't trying, it was more that it wasn't coming off. 

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Its not as simple as that Palfy. If a player isn't sure or comfortable about exactly what they should be doing and where they should be they tend to play more hesitantly and/or cautiously which I would say sums up todays team performance, not just Gomes. 

There wasn't anything I saw from Gomes to say that he wasn't trying, it was more that it wasn't coming off. 

Are we running that low on excuses for gomes now or shall we look to recycle a few old ones and see if they can stick?

He's tired:-  bollocks, had a week off cos he was dropped for being shit 

Injury:- bollocks, played better just after his injury than he has in the last several months

Played out of position:- bollocks, been played across the midfield just like he did at Valencia. Arteta a similar type of player could play across the midfield deep or advanced.  

Tired of hearing him get excused cos he played great for us in his honeymoon period. ..... Looked brilliant I agree. But so did players like Royston Drenthe who also lacked whatever it was to apply himself. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Are we running that low on excuses for gomes now or shall we look to recycle a few old ones and see if they can stick?

He's tired:-  bollocks, had a week off cos he was dropped for being shit 

Injury:- bollocks, played better just after his injury than he has in the last several months

Played out of position:- bollocks, been played across the midfield just like he did at Valencia. Arteta a similar type of player could play across the midfield deep or advanced.  

Tired of hearing him get excused cos he played great for us in his honeymoon period. ..... Looked brilliant I agree. But so did players like Royston Drenthe who also lacked whatever it was to apply himself. 

It's not about playing "out of position" its about playing in a team with 5 central midfielders, no wingers and a couple of full backs trying to do the job. No-one in that midfield were able to find passes in the middle or attacking third because there were none, at least not until the changes were made and we started to get a foothold in the game.

I said he played crap, he clearly did, there is no excusing that but the team as whole were poor and they will all play better than they did yesterday when they are set up in a much more familiar set up. Its really not that hard to understand.

9 hours ago, StevO said:

When we were beating teams at the start of the season he was good enough, I’ve no doubt he’s still good enough. As with any player, there are 11 on the pitch and they all win together and lose together. 

His talent is undoubted. .  . He is good enough.

He plays well when the pressure and demand on him isn't there, as soon as we get into a game where he needs to stamp his authority he isn't there.

An incredibly frustrating player who like I've said before can show why Barca bought him, and why they sold him. 

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

His talent is undoubted. .  . He is good enough.

He plays well when the pressure and demand on him isn't there, as soon as we get into a game where he needs to stamp his authority he isn't there.

An incredibly frustrating player who like I've said before can show why Barca bought him, and why they sold him. 

He has shown it in a game where the pressure and demand are there. In that game against the shite at Analfield when Pickford handed them the victory at the end he was sublime and he ran our team. He controlled our whole performance and we dominated the game and should have had it won before the end.

I don't know what's going on with him at the moment but he does have it in him and I hope he finds it again because we need a squad. He's probably the best of the worst at the moment, because the rest of the midfield options to come in are dog shit, but he's capable of so much more.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He has shown it in a game where the pressure and demand are there. In that game against the shite at Analfield when Pickford handed them the victory at the end he was sublime and he ran our team. He controlled our whole performance and we dominated the game and should have had it won before the end.

I don't know what's going on with him at the moment but he does have it in him and I hope he finds it again because we need a squad. He's probably the best of the worst at the moment, because the rest of the midfield options to come in are dog shit, but he's capable of so much more.

That game and one against Man United yeah...  Seem a long time ago. When he was playing for a move or was he signed on by then???

I sound like I've got it in for him... I haven't, I genuinely like him and want him to do well. Seems a cracking fella and on his day he's a joy to watch.  

So fucking annoying.... Both he and Gylfi have two of the nicest right pegs around  and can't get a tune out of them. 

22 hours ago, Hafnia said:

That game and one against Man United yeah...  Seem a long time ago. When he was playing for a move or was he signed on by then???

I sound like I've got it in for him... I haven't, I genuinely like him and want him to do well. Seems a cracking fella and on his day he's a joy to watch.  

It does doesn't it.

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

It does doesn't it.

Am I being unreasonable?

I was asked why I was quizzing Gomes for his performances cos we were winning. ... Is my criticism more tangible now we have had a defeat that he stunk the gaff out?

Maybe you disagree with the person who is saying it, more than what he is actually saying??? Something shukes mentioned ..... 

are you ok with me being critical of Siggy?  I just need to clarify ?  Maybe you should put me on block mate ... Cos unless some players step up then they will get criticism.  

33 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Am I being unreasonable?

I was asked why I was quizzing Gomes for his performances cos we were winning. ... Is my criticism more tangible now we have had a defeat that he stunk the gaff out?

Maybe you disagree with the person who is saying it, more than what he is actually saying??? Something shukes mentioned ..... 

are you ok with me being critical of Siggy?  I just need to clarify ?  Maybe you should put me on block mate ... Cos unless some players step up then they will get criticism.  

Some find it easier and more acceptable to gloss over the players performances and blame the manager for his team selection🤷‍♂️

Haf, I’m with you, I think he’s been the main disappointment in the preferred starting 11, he just hasn’t been on his game, I wish he was as he’s a lovely player to watch when he’s good, but he’s awful if not, the big problem though is that none of Siggy, Bernard or Iwobi, has taken their chance to get the spot in the starting 11 when it’s been given.

47 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Am I being unreasonable?

I did the same a few weeks ago and got slaughtered for it. Biggest argument people offered was... why am I singling him out when we are winning. 
I let Carlo do the talking for me, by dropping him. 

Feels people are more into proving people wrong, than their own arguments right sometimes. 

Edit: I wrote that after your first paragraph. Then I read the rest of your post haha.

Blame Palfy, it feels good. I blame him for mistakes at work... everything i can think of 😉

35 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I did the same a few weeks ago and got slaughtered for it. Biggest argument people offered was... why am I singling him out when we are winning. 
I let Carlo do the talking for me, by dropping him. 

Feels people are more into proving people wrong, than their own arguments right sometimes. 

Edit: I wrote that after your first paragraph. Then I read the rest of your post haha.

Blame Palfy, it feels good. I blame him for mistakes at work... everything i can think of 😉

Totally agreed.... The populism on this site can be so cringy

"Oooh look xyz has had a go let's join in...."

"Urgh it's Palf, haf, peteo ... Let's disagree"