IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

15 hours ago, London Blue said:

His game is not a defesive midfielder who can anticipate danger and snuff it out like Alan, nor does he have the physicality or attacking power of Doucoure. What he does very well is use his passing and positional sense to help control midfield move the ball into attacking positions further up the pitch. Which now he has his confidence back and is in a balanced midfield he does very well, just like he did before his injury.

I would be very happy to see a midfield 3 of Gomes, Doucoure and Alan.

I disagree.

Allan and Doucoure are playing like genuine central midfielders. They aren't sitting deep to defend, they aren't playing around the box like a number 10. They both get forward and get back, with Doucoure having more responsibility to get in the box, more than likely just because of his athleticism over Allan. It isn't like Allan hasn't tried to get forward as well. It is great to see midfielders play like midfielders without being pigeon-holed into a DM or AM etc etc.

Gomes has to be able to do both. He has to be able to defend, pass and get forward as well as Allan and Doucoure. He did come on and control the game a lot better against Burnley, and I thought he was just the man we needed but IMO he was still on the edge. Whilst it went well for him in this game, in other games I see him get dispossessed, or breezed past when he needs to make a tackle or slow the attack.

There is definitely a role for him in the squad, but he is still far from reliable in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I disagree.

Allan and Doucoure are playing like genuine central midfielders. They aren't sitting deep to defend, they aren't playing around the box like a number 10. They both get forward and get back, with Doucoure having more responsibility to get in the box, more than likely just because of his athleticism over Allan. It isn't like Allan hasn't tried to get forward as well. It is great to see midfielders play like midfielders without being pigeon-holed into a DM or AM etc etc.

Gomes has to be able to do both. He has to be able to defend, pass and get forward as well as Allan and Doucoure. He did come on and control the game a lot better against Burnley, and I thought he was just the man we needed but IMO he was still on the edge. Whilst it went well for him in this game, in other games I see him get dispossessed, or breezed past when he needs to make a tackle or slow the attack.

There is definitely a role for him in the squad, but he is still far from reliable in my opinion.

Gomez does get forward, he nearly scored against Burnley for example. 

He does defend, all be it not as well as Alan and Doucoure. However he is a much better passer of the ball than either of them. 

Different players different roles, all useful options.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

He does defend, all be it not as well as Alan and Doucoure. However he is a much better passer of the ball than either of them. 

He looked good on Monday.  Totally different to Allan and doucore and Rafa seems to recognise what he does well.  

On 16/09/2021 at 14:40, London Blue said:

I disagree again :)

He is a very average defender. His tackling is pretty poor, his reading of the game is very average and he doesn't have the athleticism to recover. He was the most dribbled past midfielder the other year for a reason!

He is certainly better on the ball than Doucoure but I think Allan is a far better decision maker and passer than he is given credit for. 

One of the biggest issues I have with Gomes is his decision making and the amount of time he dwells on the ball. I would be very concerned that if we had to play him for 10 games in that position due to injury etc, he would cause more problems than he solves. 

Just to add though for balance, I thought he did do really well against Burnley and to his credit he came on and did exactly what we needed. It isn't often in his more recent Everton career than you could say that about him.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I disagree again :)

He is a very average defender. His tackling is pretty poor, his reading of the game is very average and he doesn't have the athleticism to recover. He was the most dribbled past midfielder the other year for a reason!

He is certainly better on the ball than Doucoure but I think Allan is a far better decision maker and passer than he is given credit for. 

One of the biggest issues I have with Gomes is his decision making and the amount of time he dwells on the ball. I would be very concerned that if we had to play him for 10 games in that position due to injury etc, he would cause more problems than he solves. 

Just to add though for balance, I thought he did do really well against Burnley and to his credit he came on and did exactly what we needed. It isn't often in his more recent Everton career than you could say that about him.

His first season with us demonstrated his ability to use the ball well and help create attacking moves. As well as be an effective midfielder. 

His passing is superior to Alan's, and when he came on against Burnley his passing rate was the best of anyone I believe. 

He does dwell on the ball, but this is to look for passing options. 

Last season he was recovering from a severe injury which no doubt hindered his movements. Even so as I have said he is not a defensive midfielder. 

As I said this is a squad game and he is an important member of our squad. I disagree with you in that I would be happy to see him in a midfield 3 with Alan and Doucoure. But differing opinions are what make this site interesting 🤔 😉

7 hours ago, London Blue said:

His first season with us demonstrated his ability to use the ball well and help create attacking moves. As well as be an effective midfielder. 

His passing is superior to Alan's, and when he came on against Burnley his passing rate was the best of anyone I believe. 

He does dwell on the ball, but this is to look for passing options. 

Last season he was recovering from a severe injury which no doubt hindered his movements. Even so as I have said he is not a defensive midfielder. 

As I said this is a squad game and he is an important member of our squad. I disagree with you in that I would be happy to see him in a midfield 3 with Alan and Doucoure. But differing opinions are what make this site interesting 🤔 😉

London.  I hate to keep repeating this point .... But his form wasn't linked to injury, certainly on the basis that he was poor before it.  

When on song he's a great player. It doesn't happen enough though. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

What a huge difference it made to us having him in our midfield. His composure on the ball was invaluable, and him being there also allowed us to push Doucoure further up field which gave us another advantage.

Townsend worked hard but he was pretty ineffective, so it was a great move to get him off. If Gomes can stay fit and keep his form up we might actually be able to rotate a bit in midfield. Imagine?!

We all know he can play and on his day he’s a magician, but as you pointed out his fitness is a concern, along with Mina you can’t get consistency with players who struggle to make 40% of the games in a season. 

Gomes offers something we lack in midfield, and that is composure. He can read the game and pass the ball better than anyone in our squad. We need him fit and playing regularly. With him Doucore and Alan in midfield we will be much better.

Also love the way he went for the 50/50 ball in the set up for our second goal, got it, moved the ball forward and then helped set up the chance.

Still one of my favourate players.

On 06/12/2021 at 19:58, Romey 1878 said:

If Gomes can stay fit and keep his form up we might actually be able to rotate a bit in midfield. Imagine?!

7 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It was a great cameo but he has made a bit of a habit of that but then looked poor when given a start

Apologies for repeating an idea I’ve posted elsewhere.  On Romey 1878’s point re rotation, I prefer that he not start, but be rotated in, when we need an offensive controlling midfielder, on 55-60 minutes.  Push Allan back, Gomes forward with Doucouré.  Play through Gomes, a whole lot.

But, to dunc’s point, my sense is that Gomes is just too slow, not yet in peak condition, and in the first half just can’t match opponents’ freshness and pace.  But, as opponents lose a little steam — 55-60 minutes, even a bit later — a fresh Gomes is no longer disadvantaged by his own lack of pace.  He can keep up with tired opponents, but much less so with fresh opponents in first half.

His composure, dribbling, ball control, vision, passing show well late.  Not so much early.  

The problem with Gomes is his consistency. On his day he is a fantastic midfielder and in the mold of what we really need in that midfield. He's like Keane in some aspects though where if he doesn't get going from the start of the game, he completely loses his confidence and capitulates throughout the match, where nothing seems to go right.

I do agree that he does seem to look better coming off the bench and never really though as to why, but as has been said it must be the tired legs he's playing against.

On 08/12/2021 at 19:27, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It was a great cameo but he has made a bit of a habit of that but then looked poor when given a start

It would be fantastic to get the player we had on loan from Barcelona back but I’m not holding my breath

This summed him up today I thought.

I forgot he was playing for most of the game. 

• 1 month later...