IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Gwlad said:

Maybe it's down to Dyche. We've seen it with him before, don't rush a player back before they are fit.

Mate…. He had his first game for us vs Liverpool untested and was unreal.   Had a bad injury - game back vs man United and he was unreal again.

if we could find a way to tap into that “haven’t played in a while” mentality then we would have a player. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/12/2023 at 04:25, Haiku said:

Lovely guy, nice pass, good vision, slow as a turtle. Should have never come to the PL. Would flourish in Spain or Italy.

Well he was never going to get 140k a week over there now was he?

We are so thin and predictable I can just about see him being useful in the run in if he receovers from this latest injury. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do like him and recognise what he can offer offensively. But he does make me so nervous when he hangs in to the ball. So many times last night he looked like he got away with it by the skin of his teeth. 

But on the other hand, he try’s the passes that no one else has the technical ability to try. He should be used for the games we can win.

41 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Another good cameo from him last night, if he is fit enough I would like to see him start v Burnley although at the moment he seems to have more of an impact coming off the bench

Do you not think that is impact coming off bench is more because he is replacing players with less quality or something else?

There is the argument that when he comes off the bench he’s fresh and the opposition are getting tired so that gives him more of an advantage than if he started. 
I really rate him compared to others who play in his position, he’s not built with speed and athleticism and can be slow to chase back when things break down, but what he does much better than anyone else is travel with the ball, makes space for others by attracting more 2-3 players in trying to dispossess him, and then crucially releasing the ball at the right moment without having it taken off him. 
I believe it was no coincidence that when he came on that we took control of the game, he’s the player with the most ability and vision in the team, and it shows that much even Stevie Wonder sees it, the only problem is we need Sean Dyche to see it. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Do you not think that is impact coming off bench is more because he is replacing players with less quality or something else?

There is the argument that when he comes off the bench he’s fresh and the opposition are getting tired so that gives him more of an advantage than if he started. 
I really rate him compared to others who play in his position, he’s not built with speed and athleticism and can be slow to chase back when things break down, but what he does much better than anyone else is travel with the ball, makes space for others by attracting more 2-3 players in trying to dispossess him, and then crucially releasing the ball at the right moment without having it taken off him. 
I believe it was no coincidence that when he came on that we took control of the game, he’s the player with the most ability and vision in the team, and it shows that much even Stevie Wonder sees it, the only problem is we need Sean Dyche to see it. 

I don’t think it’s anything to do with who he is replacing it’s Gomes himself who doesn’t seem to have the same impact when he starts. Don’t know whether that’s because he comes off the bench he is fresh coming up against tired players or what

With regards to Dyche I think it’s pretty clear he does see it , he brought him back into the fold and has constantly talked him up as a quality player who he wants to utilise more if he can stay fit

Like a lot of our players - Gomes could have a great game, but equally he could end up having a stinker of a game. He's not your mister consistent. 

I agree that he is likley to have a better impact towards the end of a game when other legs are maybe getting a bit heavy and the game has slowed a little. I aslo think that there can be a benfit for a player like Gomes actually watching the first 50-60mins of a game and then stepping in to it.

2 hours ago, Sev said:

Had a good game today if you compare to certain other players on the pitch. Think he made a difference and was actually surprised to see him play the full game against Burnley.

He played really well.

I did want to sub him once Burnley went down to 10 men though, simply because Oliver would have been looking to even it up.

Then I thought, but who would replace him and simply crossed my fingers on both hands :lol:.