IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

14 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Think we can close this thread now 

But but but it’s sons fault…..

no it actually isn’t. He did this at Barca, had a good loan period, got signed then became like this….

I actually think he was poor towards end of his loan. 

• 3 months later...

Please please please get rid.   

I want him gone just for the fact that he seems to have convinced some fans that his injury turned him from prime zidane into prime Nicklaus Alexanderson. 

Looked to be a class act when on loan, teetered off towards end of it but looked a shadow of that player when permanent.  Son injury was nasty but his form before it was poor. . May do ok in a slower league. 

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Please please please get rid.   

I want him gone just for the fact that he seems to have convinced some fans that his injury turned him from prime zidane into prime Nicklaus Alexanderson. 

Looked to be a class act when on loan, teetered off towards end of it but looked a shadow of that player when permanent.  Son injury was nasty but his form before it was poor. . May do ok in a slower league. 

Never Zidane of course but he was quality his first season here. I think the injury did slow him down a bit and he’s a player that seems to need that time and space to operate as he lacks athleticism. In a league where he is afforded that he will probably do well.

I don't want André Gomes to leave, but that's probably because he's has the sexiest hair I've ever seen on an Everton player, as opposed to the fact that he's a machine in midfield.

He was great on loan, great when he signed permenantly but wasn't the same after his leg break (come at me @Hafnia:shakingfist:). Agree with most that it's time to say our goodbyes though, he would do well back at Benfica - doubt he would go to Porto.

11 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I don't want André Gomes to leave, but that's probably because he's has the sexiest hair I've ever seen on an Everton player, as opposed to the fact that he's a machine in midfield.

He was great on loan, great when he signed permenantly but wasn't the same after his leg break (come at me @Hafnia:shakingfist:). Agree with most that it's time to say our goodbyes though, he would do well back at Benfica - doubt he would go to Porto.

He was way off before his ankle dislocation.  Way off.

he had occasional matches of brilliance on his loan mainly but also the odd one after his injury.  The injury wasn’t a factor, in fact one of the first few games where he came back he played like a quarter back and was outstanding.

the league sussed him out, get on him quick and he was limited. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

He was way off before his ankle dislocation.  Way off.

he had occasional matches of brilliance on his loan mainly but also the odd one after his injury.  The injury wasn’t a factor, in fact one of the first few games where he came back he played like a quarter back and was outstanding.

the league sussed him out, get on him quick and he was limited. 

I agree he wasn't as good after signing permanently (and pre-injury), there was still a big difference post injury. He was always inconsistent but he was more consistent pre-injury IMO. He lost something that meant he was better able to deal with the pace and physicality of the league.

Since the injury he has been a shell of the player bar the odd game here or there and that is only because he was given the opportunity too do so by the other team (as you say).

59 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree he wasn't as good after signing permanently (and pre-injury), there was still a big difference post injury. He was always inconsistent but he was more consistent pre-injury IMO. He lost something that meant he was better able to deal with the pace and physicality of the league.

Since the injury he has been a shell of the player bar the odd game here or there and that is only because he was given the opportunity too do so by the other team (as you say).

I think the problem we have is some fans take the handful of 10/10 games he had, which in fairness were some of the best performances I have ever seen from a midfielder in a blue shirt. They really were outstanding at times…. And carried them forward in their memory banks. 

yeah the injury probably did affect him more but for me it no way made the difference to the fact that he was already a player who probably wasn’t gonna be good enough for us. I don’t even think it’s physical with him, he’s just not got it in the head, no real hunger.  Steven Naismith had a bad injury, wasn’t athletic but had a tremendous mentality for the game. 

17 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think the problem we have is some fans take the handful of 10/10 games he had, which in fairness were some of the best performances I have ever seen from a midfielder in a blue shirt. They really were outstanding at times…. And carried them forward in their memory banks. 

yeah the injury probably did affect him more but for me it no way made the difference to the fact that he was already a player who probably wasn’t gonna be good enough for us. I don’t even think it’s physical with him, he’s just not got it in the head, no real hunger.  Steven Naismith had a bad injury, wasn’t athletic but had a tremendous mentality for the game. 

I think you are right in that he is probably someone that would have frustrated most fans even without the injury but I also think that the injury made him worse.

I also think a lot of it is mental with him. I don't know if its hunger, because its not like I haven't seen him try. I think its probably more or a lack of confidence, not finding his form and a bit of fear. It was a horrific injury, more so for the way it was suffered than the injury itself, and it would scar even the strongest of people. I don't think there is a lot wrong with him physically, at least not now, but there is something in him that holds him back causing him to doubt himself much more often than he used to.

Like you said earlier, a slower and more technical league, maybe somewhere like Italy, would be ideal for him. 

I always remember Gary Neville being shocked that we signed him, after he had him at Valencia, saying he’s such a talented midfielder. 
It’s a shame really, when he’s on form he’s probably still our best midfielder. He can pick a pass, he can hold possession (he’s surprising strong when holding off players and protecting the ball) but we just haven’t seen enough of it. 
Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can play every week, show what he’s capable of and maybe get himself back in the Portugal squad. 
I’ll always be fond of him, he seems a really nice bloke and has always been very respectful of the club and the fans. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

I always remember Gary Neville being shocked that we signed him, after he had him at Valencia, saying he’s such a talented midfielder. 
It’s a shame really, when he’s on form he’s probably still our best midfielder. He can pick a pass, he can hold possession (he’s surprising strong when holding off players and protecting the ball) but we just haven’t seen enough of it. 
Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can play every week, show what he’s capable of and maybe get himself back in the Portugal squad. 
I’ll always be fond of him, he seems a really nice bloke and has always been very respectful of the club and the fans. 

I seen that interview, at the end of the day it was his Valencia quality that got him a big transfer to Barcelona… you don’t get that type of transfer to join a team with messi, xavi, iniesta unless you have quality. 

I think lots of it is in his head. 

the pace of the Premier league simply does not suit him. So in 4 out of 5 games he just doesn't cut it.

I am sure he would do very well in a slightly slower and less physical league. Lets hope Benfica or similar are willing to part with £5 or £6m and he is willing to take a slight pay cut to play regular football. I am sure it would suit and work out for all parties.

6 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

the pace of the Premier league simply does not suit him. So in 4 out of 5 games he just doesn't cut it.

I am sure he would do very well in a slightly slower and less physical league. Lets hope Benfica or similar are willing to part with £5 or £6m and he is willing to take a slight pay cut to play regular football. I am sure it would suit and work out for all parties.

There was a rumour of Roma not too long ago. I think in Italy, under Jose, he would be really good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are lots of lovely footballers out there, Steven Naismith one of the best of them.  Gomes for me downed tools when things weren’t suited to him, players like him have plunged our club to where it is.

Nice fella, no doubt will get a move and continue earning a shed load of money. Earned around £20m from us. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Sad really I had great hopes for him to make it here after his first derby game, but at least we have the memories. 

We will probably never really know if the injury is what made his form dip. Good player when he had time and space. Perhaps the injury slowed him down enough that he wasn’t able to deal with the reality of the English game over the longterm.