IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

56 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I did the same a few weeks ago and got slaughtered for it. Biggest argument people offered was... why am I singling him out when we are winning. 
I let Carlo do the talking for me, by dropping him. 

Feels people are more into proving people wrong, than their own arguments right sometimes. 

Edit: I wrote that after your first paragraph. Then I read the rest of your post haha.

Blame Palfy, it feels good. I blame him for mistakes at work... everything i can think of 😉

I’d probably accept responsibility. 

Gomes's performances had deteriorated last season, even before his injury if honest, and the injury just made it worst, and this has been very disappointing - He came here after his loan spell with us having real high hopes - He set the bar quite high for himself with his performances, so it makes it so much more frustrating that instead of kicking on to consistent star midfielder he seems to have just progressively fallen away from his earlier form, with this seasons performances being no better than his form at the end of last season - even with the improved players around him and the confidence he should have been feeding off as the team does well. 

I called him out as one of the main culprits for us really having that lazy, lethargic and toothless midfield last season, looking for him to be one of the players changed out from the team. I so much wanted to see the player we first saw at the club return, its just not happening. 

Like others have said, he has been quite fortunate that others haven't stepped up to put his starting berth under more pressure.

Gomes has never chipped in with goals (even when he actually played well for us), so he is not the type of player that even when playing poorly, you think there might be one moment of genius in there than could result in a goal from nothing - That is one advantage Gyfi does very much have over Gomes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Played well again.

I'll give credit as much as I give criticism.

Seems to be planting his feet a bit more and leveraging his strength which is way above the average for a footballer - he's a good 6ft and a decent build, no way should he have been playing like he has. 

Hopefully we see more of this Andre as the best Andre is an extremely good footballer. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Played well again.

I'll give credit as much as I give criticism.

Seems to be planting his feet a bit more and leveraging his strength which is way above the average for a footballer - he's a good 6ft and a decent build, no way should he have been playing like he has. 

Hopefully we see more of this Andre as the best Andre is an extremely good footballer. 

He's like a futsal player hey, strong with good feet. Fingers crossed this is beginning of some consistent performances because we need a bit of creativity 

I think by bringing Gomes back slowly, Carlo has gradually increased both his strength and confidence. I am looking for him to start the next league game and start to impose himself on games, and be the Gomes we all know and love.

His drive, energy, and positivity, coupled with his obvious skill is something we need. 

9 hours ago, London Blue said:

I think by bringing Gomes back slowly, Carlo has gradually increased both his strength and confidence. I am looking for him to start the next league game and start to impose himself on games, and be the Gomes we all know and love.

His drive, energy, and positivity, coupled with his obvious skill is something we need. 

Blue, this is not injury related.

I wish it was but it's not.  Gomes struggles with confidence and consistency.  

There has been no pattern to his good performances Vs poor.  I'd go as far as saying he's played better when returning from injury/not playing Vs when he's had a run in the side. 

People have been desperate to justify why he is as poor as he is when he is off the boil because there is clearly a very talented player there. 

12 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

There has been no pattern to his good performances Vs poor.  I'd go as far as saying he's played better when returning from injury/not playing Vs when he's had a run in the side. 

People have been desperate to justify why he is as poor as he is when he is off the boil because there is clearly a very talented player there. 

You can't say categorically that it isn't. I get that he had issues before the injury but it is also very fair to say lots of players struggle when they come back from long term / significant injuries like his. 

You only need to look at Coleman and McCarthy. Coleman was amazing on his first game back but then he stunk out the gaff for 6+ months after that before finding his form. McCarthy couldn't even get in the squad when he came back.

Like you I am not fully convinced he is suddenly going to come back a better player by being eased back in a little more but he looked a lot weaker post injury and it might be that he will improve more as the season goes on. It is possible and time will tell, but on balance I am more in your camp than others.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Carlo said it was in a press conference a while back I think. I don't doubt there are confidence issues as well, but I think being fully fit is a massive part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Played well last few games, Carlo needs to keep on him. 

There is no excuse for a player of his size and talent to be as anonymous as he has been 

It's all in between the ears with him. Outside of James, he's up there with Digne and Bernard as the best technical player. 

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was so happy watching him play tonight. I don't believe for a single second that his poor performances have been anything to do with a lack of effort or work ethic, or not caring, or any of that absolute bollocks. 

Tonight he was quality. That ball to put Digne in for our first goal was sublime and there aren't many other players in our team that could have done it. But even without that it was a quality performance from him - he anticipated so many dangerous situations and positioned himself perfectly to intercept the ball.

I want this Andre Gomes more please.

We all want it more. It was great to see. He’s been visibly frustrated with his own performances, I just really hope he kicks on because we need some more quality to go with fight!