IGNORED

André Gomes

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

You say he hasn't shown anything but Ancelotti picked him every week over the others so he at least showed more than them. 

I can't see how he will still be that man when the others come in but he has it in him to raise his game and I still expect he will play a fair amount of time. 

Ancellotti had the choice of:- Siggy, Delph, Davies or Gomes.  2 ruled themselves out by being injured or complete shite 

Gomes is a gamble player... You may just get a performance from him. 

16 hours ago, London Blue said:

I'll end with this, you yourself said in previous posts that he played really well the first season, when he had Gana helping him out.

Now he has Allan and co so I believe he will again show his quality.

I have said that he can resemble Kaka..... I also said that he can resemble horse cack.  

Yes it's possible to be be both.... See Schneiderlein, Gylfi, Lukaku etc

I actually questioned whether we should buy him....  I actually made comments in the Leicester game that only Gana stopped us getting mauled cos Gomes gave the ball away so often.  His levels have nothing to do with fitness or personnel 

He is probably as talented as Arteta  - but it is going to take some seriously good management to get those levels from him.  I for one hope he does because we have seen how good he can be....  And that is elite level.  Sadly we've seen him look Sunday league level too. That's the problem. 

On 01/01/2019 at 12:49, Hafnia said:

Gomes is stinking the place out... ffs

On 01/01/2019 at 12:49, markjazzbassist said:

Gana just saved us again.  Gomes looks rough again today.

On 01/01/2019 at 12:56, Hafnia said:

Gomes fragility showing.... seems to let mistakes bother him. 

On 01/01/2019 at 12:55, badaids said:

What the hell is up with Gomes today. Messing everything thing up.

On 05/01/2019 at 17:00, Hafnia said:

It seems many on here including myself have been quick to get excited over gomes

On 05/01/2019 at 20:39, Hafnia said:

I thought the same and still think ability wise he's another level..  I'm concerned the drop is not tiredness though. 

Been bitten before like this with schneiderlein and Barkley. 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:16, Hafnia said:

Not worth what's been quoted. Mentally flawed. Sad but true.  Hes like Barkley as I said weeks ago....  fuck all to do with tiredness.  That lot played 120 minutes midweek. 

On 20/01/2019 at 20:25, MikeO said:

He wasn't average yesterday though I wish he had been, it would've been a huge step up from what I saw.

On 13/01/2019 at 15:14, Hafnia said:

I want to see more from Gomes. Don't think it's all about marking if I'm honest.  Something isn't right and I fear it's his mental.approach

Selecting only a handful of posts isn’t helping your argument Haf, nor is insisting that it’s only his mentality that’s holding him back. I bet the positive comments are about 50-1 and it is a combination of mentality, injuries and the team/players around him/the club being in disarray that contribute to his hot and cold nature. 

34 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There is no doubt in my mind that he has an exceptional talent we’ve all witnessed it, his first Derby will stick out for me as master class in midfield he was the best player on the pitch, sadly we haven’t been getting that anymore before or after the injury. 
As a person I love him, he’s a genuinely humble caring human being, As a footballer I respect him, but I also worry for him because we are bringing in some huge talent in the midfield, some are concerned about his mentality I hope he comes out fighting for his place and gives Ancelotti a dilemma on his starting eleven, because he has a lot of convincing to do imo. 

That I think sums it up perfectly for me. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Selecting only a handful of posts isn’t helping your argument Haf, nor is insisting that it’s only his mentality that’s holding him back. I bet the positive comments are about 50-1 and it is a combination of mentality, injuries and the team/players around him/the club being in disarray that contribute to his hot and cold nature. 

Matt.... The point that was made was that I said he played well when Gana was helping him out in the first season. The quotes from the Leicester game are there to prove that wasn't the case.   Gana was playing.

Its not about whether I have made positive posts or not.... That is my other point ... He can look like kaka or cack.

What we want to believe and what is actually factual are 2 different things.  I want to believe that he will be great with better players and being fit but the fact is that his poor performances are not consistent with those factors. 

The lads been through a lot, emotionally at Barca and physically at Everton.  He's a model pro and his talent is up there but I'm against this whole rewriting of history in order to in some way blame other factors for his poor performances. That has to come from himself. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

There is no doubt in my mind that he has an exceptional talent we’ve all witnessed it, his first Derby will stick out for me as master class in midfield he was the best player on the pitch, sadly we haven’t been getting that anymore before or after the injury. 
As a person I love him, he’s a genuinely humble caring human being, As a footballer I respect him, but I also worry for him because we are bringing in some huge talent in the midfield, some are concerned about his mentality I hope he comes out fighting for his place and gives Ancelotti a dilemma on his starting eleven, because he has a lot of convincing to do imo. 

Exactly my point.  This whole sugar coating certain players and offering excuses has got to stop.  

Bolassie showed us something yesterday that Walcott hasn't in a long time... It was great to see a player written off as having some fight in him.  This is how our club needs to be to move forward

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Matt.... The point that was made was that I said he played well when Gana was helping him out in the first season. The quotes from the Leicester game are there to prove that wasn't the case.   Gana was playing.

Its not about whether I have made positive posts or not.... That is my other point ... He can look like kaka or cack.

What we want to believe and what is actually factual are 2 different things.  I want to believe that he will be great with better players and being fit but the fact is that his poor performances are not consistent with those factors. 

The lads been through a lot, emotionally at Barca and physically at Everton.  He's a model pro and his talent is up there but I'm against this whole rewriting of history in order to in some way blame other factors for his poor performances. That has to come from himself. 

It was to reaffirm your opinion of the player hasn’t changed in the last two years. We know that.
But what for? It’s not going to change anyone else’s positive view on him because you think he’s not been good for a long time. 

No one is trying to rewrite history. No one has said he’s been brilliant all the time. No one is saying he isn’t a confidence player (think most actually acknowledge that) which reflects the mentality thing. But it is more a balance / combination of things rather than predominantly mental. 

Just now, StevO said:

It was to reaffirm your opinion of the player hasn’t changed in the last two years. We know that.
But what for? It’s not going to change anyone else’s positive view on him because you think he’s not been good for a long time. 

No. It was to correct the statement by london that I stated he was good with Gana.... Which somehow was supposed to contradict my assertion that his good and bad performances have no consistench with playing partners or fitness ....

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

No. It was to correct the statement by london that I stated he was good with Gana.... Which somehow was supposed to contradict my assertion that his good and bad performances have no consistench with playing partners or fitness ....

To reaffirm your opinion. That’s what I said. 
Im sure LB doesn’t need you to correct his opinion. Many people think he played well with Gana, you probably won’t change that. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

No one is trying to rewrite history. No one has said he’s been brilliant all the time. No one is saying he isn’t a confidence player (think most actually acknowledge that) which reflects the mentality thing. But it is more a balance / combination of things rather than predominantly mental. 

But that's the whole point of this debate and critique of the player....  If someone said XY or Z could only play in a certain system then people would look for evidence to confirm or suggest otherwise 

My point is I've seen his 2 or 3 better performances when coming back from injury of having just signed.  I've also seen these with better players 

I've also said that in poor games you can tell by his demeanour that he isn't right... There's no confidence

That's the evidence to back up the opinion whereas I'm being told I had previously said otherwise. Which I again proved wasn't the case 

Listen... I love the bloke. I really really want him to do well, do much so that I've analysed his good Vs bad games to see if anything tells us why..... And can't other than his confidence/mentality

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

To reaffirm your opinion. That’s what I said. 
Im sure LB doesn’t need you to correct his opinion. Many people think he played well with Gana, you probably won’t change that. 

He played great with Gana.... He also played shite with gana.   This is my point Steve ...

Just to give some absolute clarity on this.....  

I'm not talking about a football player who has the odd 9/10 game and the odd 6/10 game. That's normal. 

I'm talking about a player who can look like one of the best in the world or a total imposter....  Never before have I seen these levels of difference. 

The games where he plays great Vs shite have absolutely nothing in the to draw a conclusion from..... He's played awesome against great teams and shite Vs poor teams. Great when unfit and shite when fit.   

I'm happy for someone to tell me what it is that makes him have his great games Vs shite because I've looked at everything bar the weather

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree in that there has been no pattern to his good or bad play. It could be playing with anyone, in any formation against any particular type of team. 

Having said that I think he particularly struggles in a 442 but then again he was superb against Sheffield Utd. 

Allegedly the fans at Goodison park were the issue for some awful team performances... Then we had lockdown games, then that argument was shattered.

It's time the players took responsibility

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Exactly my point.  This whole sugar coating certain players and offering excuses has got to stop.  

Bolassie showed us something yesterday that Walcott hasn't in a long time... It was great to see a player written off as having some fight in him.  This is how our club needs to be to move forward

Bolassie showed it in the first friendly as well. I have a lot more respect for him than I do for a guy like Iwobi who, while probably possessing more ability, seems scared to pull the trigger and is afraid of making a mistake. Bolassie will go at a defense and often cause them problems. That mentality is what I want in a winger. I realize we aren’t dumping Iwobi (nor should we at this point) but I wouldn’t be upset if we kept Bolassie over Walcott. Doesn’t seem sensible or necessary to me to keep both. 

10 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Just to give some absolute clarity on this.....  

I'm not talking about a football player who has the odd 9/10 game and the odd 6/10 game. That's normal. 

I'm talking about a player who can look like one of the best in the world or a total imposter....  Never before have I seen these levels of difference. 

The games where he plays great Vs shite have absolutely nothing in the to draw a conclusion from..... He's played awesome against great teams and shite Vs poor teams. Great when unfit and shite when fit.   

I'm happy for someone to tell me what it is that makes him have his great games Vs shite because I've looked at everything bar the weather

I’ve solved it - It’s the weather. 

14 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Played well in a new midfield, his passing was good, constantly found space for himself and read the game well.

Allot more to come from him in this team.

How may times did he lose the ball sloppily though? Is that ok?

I agree there’s more to come, but that doesn’t excuse falling over and calling for free kicks weakly. Sorry but I just come from a tougher upbringing than that.

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

How may times did he lose the ball sloppily though? Is that ok?

I agree there’s more to come, but that doesn’t excuse falling over and calling for free kicks weakly. Sorry but I just come from a tougher upbringing than that.

I come from a pretty tough place and Gomes does not strike me as particularly weak. There are many types of weakness and believe me when I say everybody has them. 

Cant remember him loosing the ball more than any other player, when I watched I saw him link the play well, tackle, press and pass. Yes he was a bit rusty as was everyone.

He was also playing in a new position higher up the pitch. But football is a game of opinions and I respect yours.

I just wish ALL Evertonians would be positive and get behind the players, especially when we have just beaten so called big side away from home and fully deserved it.

COYB

I thought he was good, bit rusty but he has had no pre season really. He ran the midfield at the start with good sharp passes. All our players gave the ball away poorly once not just Gomes. I think he’s going to have a good season, also think Siggy off the bench for him is not a bad thing either.