IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

He's had one good game. Id feel comfortable with someone with a bit of legs about them beside him in a pairing. But i do agree Morgan was decent last time out and I'd like to see more of it. 

Either way I suppose it makes little difference whose there. 

No he hasn’t, he’s had numerous good games. You want someone with legs but you said Delph should be Gomes’ partner, which goes against that. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

No he hasn’t, he’s had numerous good games. You want someone with legs but you said Delph should be Gomes’ partner, which goes against that. 

I can't see past his last few years at the club and hope he will be the player we all wanted him to be. His attitude is exactly why we've seen numerous managers fail at the club and the sooner he is out of the club the better.

19 hours ago, Aidan said:

I can't see past his last few years at the club and hope he will be the player we all wanted him to be. His attitude is exactly why we've seen numerous managers fail at the club and the sooner he is out of the club the better.

That’s very strong, but other than the Mirallas incident what do you really know about his attitude?

On 18/02/2020 at 21:00, StevO said:

Based on what exactly?

Being a complete shit when Unsworth was caretaker for a start, and despite having all the skill to be one of the best midfielders we have had he has turned in some truly awful performances, which usually consisted allot of the following:

Jog around the pitch, receive the ball, stop, pirouette, look around, stop, pirouette again, pass the ball backwards, repeat.

Jog around the pitch, jog when the player he is marking is running past him, stop jogging and look disinterested. 

He should have been our rock in midfield, but he ended up being a millstone round our necks.

When he wants to be, which to be fair to him he has been under Carlo, he can be immense, but its when HE wants to be, which brings us back to his temperament, which is as I say, is questionable. 

On 18/02/2020 at 21:16, London Blue said:

Being a complete shit when Unsworth was caretaker for a start, and despite having all the skill to be one of the best midfielders we have had he has turned in some truly awful performances, which usually consisted allot of the following:

Jog around the pitch, receive the ball, stop, pirouette, look around, stop, pirouette again, pass the ball backwards, repeat.

Jog around the pitch, jog when the player he is marking is running past him, stop jogging and look disinterested. 

He should have been our rock in midfield, but he ended up being a millstone round our necks.

When he wants to be, which to be fair to him he has been under Carlo, he can be immense, but its when HE wants to be, which brings us back to his temperament, which is as I say, is questionable. 

He had a training ground bust up, happens all the time. 
He played football badly. 

this isn’t attitude. Not one of us has the slightest clue about his attitude, we just see his actions on the pitch. We may think those actions have shown a bad attitude, but it’s just an assumption. 

Ever since the training ground incident was leaked he’s been given nothing but grief. Half of his performances haven’t been as bad as made out, but they are from tainted views. 

If every training ground issue was leaked we’d hate the whole team. 

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

this isn’t attitude. Not one of us has the slightest clue about his attitude, we just see his actions on the pitch. We may think those actions have shown a bad attitude, but it’s just an assumption. 

Ever since the training ground incident was leaked he’s been given nothing but grief. Half of his performances haven’t been as bad as made out, but they are from tainted views. 

Atalanta.... laughing when we were getting snotted.  Confronted by fans "we got battered don't you care?" ... smirked and shrugged his shoulders.

His attitude has been piss poor because his ability is far greater than the output he offered.  

But.... if he carries on as he has then keep him in. But I don't trust him. 

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

The last thing I will say on this (in this thread as it is Gomes's thread after all lol) is if we all agree he is very talented, yet his performances for 18 months to 2 years are so inconsistent and poor that he looses his place in the team, and never really regains it until now, then that's not down to his lack of talent, its down to his attitude. 

I have no problem with him being in the side when he plays like he did against Crystal Palace, I do have a problem with him being in the side when bad clone Schniederlin turns up.

But have to agree to disagree.  

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

I can’t doubt his ability mate, and the disappointing performances we have had from him. 
People have felt let down by his actions, but that’s what they are, actions. Not attitude. 

That's the annoying thing he is so damn talented!!

Actions and attitude are linked, though to what degree is a discussion for down the pub and a few beers as its very philosophical!!

I guess your right, we will never know to what degree his attitude is to blame for his actions, or vice versa, left to personal interpretation I guess.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

That's the annoying thing he is so damn talented!!

Actions and attitude are linked, though to what degree is a discussion for down the pub and a few beers as its very philosophical!!

I guess your right, we will never know to what degree his attitude is to blame for his actions, or vice versa, left to personal interpretation I guess.

Having seen Mrs Schneiderlin I can only assume he’s a cracking bloke 😂

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I can’t doubt his ability mate, and the disappointing performances we have had from him. 
People have felt let down by his actions, but that’s what they are, actions. Not attitude. 

Note really sure how you're drawing this hard line distinction.  We're not in philosophy class, it's a discussion on the performance and value to the team of a football player.  If you don't think you can determine someone's attitude by examining their actions then I'd invite you to spend an afternoon watching a group of high school kids.  Attitude is written in actions, disposition etc.  Drawing a definitive conclusion on someone's attitude from one or a few isolated incidents might be unwise, but we've all been watching Morgan for a fair few years now.  Think most fans are well within their rights to say that, largely, his attitude has stunk the place out.

7 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Note really sure how you're drawing this hard line distinction.  We're not in philosophy class, it's a discussion on the performance and value to the team of a football player.  If you don't think you can determine someone's attitude by examining their actions then I'd invite you to spend an afternoon watching a group of high school kids.  Attitude is written in actions, disposition etc.  Drawing a definitive conclusion on someone's attitude from one or a few isolated incidents might be unwise, but we've all been watching Morgan for a fair few years now.  Think most fans are well within their rights to say that, largely, his attitude has stunk the place out.

If you’re in a classroom with a bunch of kids you can add the things they say to your conclusions and you can get to see them on a personal level. You don’t have that with a footballer. You have 90 minute segments either on the pitch in front of you or on tv, once every couple of weeks. 

You can say his performance stunk the place out, but none of us have the right to to say it’s his attitude as we don’t have enough exposure to him to know his personality. We only know his actions. 

The only conclusive information we have is that managers keep picking him, they do know his attitude, they see him for hours every day. If you saw someone for such prolonged periods of time and knew them personally, and saw a bad attitude, would you keep them in the team? 

There is a massive difference between somones actions and their attitude, we shouldn’t confuse what we are judging them on. 

11 hours ago, StevO said:

Surely actions are determined by attitude?

The player with a professional attitude who turns up earlier and is the last to leave the training pitch. The player who has an attitude to focussed on being a professional who switches his mobile off, listens to his manager and executes instructions.

A footballer with a professional attitude understands he is a cog in the wheel.  That type of footballer doesn't lie on the floor taking injury while an oppononent picks out top bin unmarked.  The same attitude leads to the player not picking up runners etc.  

We have seen this from Morgan and it's shit. But we have seen the player he can be when he puts his mind to it. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

What a fucking player this man is. I’m actually blown away by his performance today, you would never know he’d been out with a serious injury. He was strong on the ball and shielded it, always wanted it, and then used it intelligently - pinging balls all over the pitch and actually finding a team mate.

The difference he made when we've been subjected to Delph overhitting balls by about 15 yards and Sigurdsson playing hide and hide, is unquantifiable.

I actually think there is something quite impressive about how inaccurate Delph is with his passing. It's like he only has one partially sighted eye and his depth perception is fucked. 

I agree about Gomes though, was great to see! 

53 minutes ago, badaids said:

Every time I see Gomes my heterosexuality erodes a little further.

So good to see him back today. 

You could sleep with Gomes and still be heterosexual... K D Lang could sleep with him and still be a Lesbian.  That's the levels we are talking about.