IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Played well, good passing, got into good positions, tracked back well.

He did hit a couple of poor pass's but overall very good.

We do need a proper DM behind him tho.

He’s always been a central midfielder. I recall Arsenal fans saying as much when he came. He doesn’t have the crossing or the 1 v 1 ability to be an effective winger. Put him in the middle and he has enough technical ability and passing to make an impact. 

Good to see him influencing games just as he did at the end of last season.

It's very encouraging that Frank and his team have been able to improve a player so much in a very short time.

I think I am right that pretty much everyone of us had lost hope with iwobi. Now he is a valuable member of this current squad.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Good to see him influencing games just as he did at the end of last season.

It's very encouraging that Frank and his team have been able to improve a player so much in a very short time.

I think I am right that pretty much everyone of us had lost hope with iwobi. Now he is a valuable member of this current squad.

I'd still like to see some tangible improvement from him (goals and assists) but at least there's hope now.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd still like to see some tangible improvement from him (goals and assists) but at least there's hope now.

Definately, I have always said he should be chipping in with aroubd 6 or so goals a season. Hoping his new found confidence will help in this department. The one that beat Newcastle was so valuable. Half a dozen or so would go a long way in a season.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Btay said:

Really appreciating Iwobi at the moment. Can’t wait for this lad Onana & Gueye to get into the team with Iwobi playing how he is playing. 

Also showed some serious pace against Sterling.

He had an excellent game. I do wish he would be a bit more ambitious sometimes. We will need that with a squad that may struggle to create chances at times 

58 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He had an excellent game. I do wish he would be a bit more ambitious sometimes. We will need that with a squad that may struggle to create chances at times 

I think it’s a bit hard in the 3-5-2 formation for him to drive at the defence as he will leave us under manned in the middle. I thought he was extremely responsible and conscious of his positioning. He created a big chance for Doucoure as well & looked most likely to make something happen.

He looks about the only player who hits a ball with pace and they he was threading passes between oppositions players ( for Myko and Gordon ) is good to see.

Really think he will thrive in a 3 man midfield especially with Onana & Gueye either side ( Doucoure will be that much more effective as well in this formation )

16 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think it’s a bit hard in the 3-5-2 formation for him to drive at the defence as he will leave us under manned in the middle. I thought he was extremely responsible and conscious of his positioning. He created a big chance for Doucoure as well & looked most likely to make something happen.

He looks about the only player who hits a ball with pace and they he was threading passes between oppositions players ( for Myko and Gordon ) is good to see.

Really think he will thrive in a 3 man midfield especially with Onana & Gueye either side ( Doucoure will be that much more effective as well in this formation )

It was encouraging to see Patterson so willing to get into the attack as that will be important with 5 at the back. 

45 minutes ago, Btay said:

So if we switch to 3-5-2 to accommodate a 3 man midfield, is that Gordon or Dele playing up top alongside whoever is our #9? 

7 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

So if we switch to 3-5-2 to accommodate a 3 man midfield, is that Gordon or Dele playing up top alongside whoever is our #9? 

I’d be more incline to go 4-3-3. I’m not sure how you can play a 3 at the back & have 3 midfielders. Unfortunately Iwobi doesn’t score or assist enough to be an out and out 10 but as part of a 3 man midfield if he chipped in for about 8 goal contributions over the season I think that’s a good target. Similar to Gomes role under ancelotti when we had Doucoure, Allan & Gomes as a 3.

42 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It was encouraging to see Patterson so willing to get into the attack as that will be important with 5 at the back. 

Accounted himself well. Can’t wait to see him against Digne next week. If Patterson can contain him defensively & then target him offensively I think we will see some success. That should be our target against Villa regardless.

11 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I don't know what's happened in the last 12 months but Dele is no longer the player he was. Stop playing him now and get shut before we have to pay more money for him, he's finished.

With Iwobi, you can actually see that he is ready the game. The number of first time passes, or little feints to create an angle for an early ball.

I am not sure what is going to happen to our midfield because I don't see us not playing with 5 at the back very often. In my opinion the two new lads look more like Doucoure when it comes to making decisions on passing rather than Iwobi. If we play with two in midfield, I think we will be worse offensively if one of them is not Iwobi.

On 08/08/2022 at 02:00, SpartyBlue said:

After years of being sidelined or not a regular starter, changes of manager and club, his confidence for ambitious play might've been stifled. I think with more game time he'll be the player I always hoped he would be 

On 08/08/2022 at 14:21, Shukes said:

I’m with Romey I’m hoping that having a destroyer in mid, and a box to box will free up Iwobi to be more creative.

Agreed it should give him a bit more freedom to get forward a lot more, Saturday you could see his orders were to stay and hold more than he would ideally want to do, both Gordon and him had sacrifice their games to fill the holes in the squad not good for either. 

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Iwobi is class.

He had a lot of shit from us as a player but by god he's turned it round under Lampard.

Steady on there; he's gone from being a waste of space to what you'd minimally expect from someone you spent £30m odd on, he's been decent (which is the least we should be expecting of him) but hardly pulling up trees.

Granted he’s finally playing well, but I think that’s mainly cos he’s running around a lot and brought energy to a pretty static midfield. 

He’s not controlling games. He’s not dominating midfield. He can do some decent attacking stuff and some decent defensive stuff. But nothing of particular note. 

Personally 5-3-2 works for me. And a powerful midfield of Douc, Onana and Gueye would be the way I’d go, in a 3 Allan / Davies get in too to rotate. 
(And Iwobi doesn’t get on the 10 either)

I’ll stick my tin hat on … 🙉