IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Pretty stuff but still zero end product imo, be very happy if he proved me wrong.

I agree, my fear is that he consistently seems to somehow 'bottle' the big moments - the shots on goal or killer final delivery.  A player who is obviously blessed with all sorts of footballing skills, just need to find that composure in the big moments. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Pretty stuff but still zero end product imo, be very happy if he proved me wrong.

I've not seen much of the games, mostly the highlights. But in all the highlights, he has contributed to the goals we scored. Depends on what you consider end product. For me in his case, it's playing clever passes and creating space, something he's always had the ability to do but it never clicked for him. So far seems to be working this season. 

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=41031

sound like he is getting more help and direction from Benitez than he ever did from Ancelotti. Finger cross what they are working on bears fruit. He seem to have improved from last season, and its still early days. 

I now shudder at how much poorer this team could have got under Ancelotti this season if he hadn't walked on us. Real Madrid may have done us a massive favour. 

2 hours ago, FairWooney said:

I think the difference is Carlo is someone who has always managed top players. He doesn’t need to do a massive amount to direct them on the pitch but he is a good man manager. Players like him and he deals with big player egos.

rafa likes to direct every player on everything they do.  For some I imagine they’d hate it as they want to play with freedom.  I’d imagine James would be like this but for those that really need guidance they’d really benefit from his input.

Iwobi is definitely the kind of player that needs a bit of guidance 

“Don’t be shit” has really paid dividends for Iwobi. 

6 hours ago, RuffRob said:

sound like he is getting more help and direction from Benitez than he ever did from Ancelotti. Finger cross what they are working on bears fruit. He seem to have improved from last season, and its still early days. 

I now shudder at how much poorer this team could have got under Ancelotti this season if he hadn't walked on us. Real Madrid may have done us a massive favour. 

I agree. Of all the bad managerial decisions Everton have made since Moyes left (primarily Koeman and Allardyce), I'm starting to think Ancelotti may have been the worst of the lot. Not because he's a bad manager (he clearly isn't, he's world class at what he does) but because he was absolutely the wrong appointment for Everton's current squad and current needs. 

On 08/09/2021 at 19:02, RuffRob said:

I think pretty much every wide player was shafted under Ancellotti. They all regressed last season and that was quite an impressive feat for Iwobi given how bad he was the previous season! 😂

• 1 month later...

He obviously has some skills with the ball at his feet and could make a great dribbling youtube video but greatly lacks in the football brain category.  He also isn't one to get stuck in or play physically.  Guess someone had to take the 'ghost' mantle now that Siggy is gone. 

He has a contract til 2024 and isn't on the largest wages but I would still like us to move him on.  Sad part is, I doubt anyone will come in for him so might just be a squad player til his contract runs out.  Conversely, if you look at players like Delph, Gomes, and Siggy who add just as little to the team are all on / close to double the salary Iwobi is.  So in reality, there are some other players that need to move out the door before Iwobi.  Plus some players that make around the same as Iwobi need to move on before him as well like Tosun and Gbamin.  So you can see why Iwobi gets more minutes and has more value to the squad than all the others I have mentioned.  Still would play Gordon over Iwobi though.

I've tried not to jump on the anti-Iwobi wagon but he's just shite isn't he? Not 100% at fault of course but comes on with the game at 2-1 with 15 minutes to go and he basically means we run with 9 men as both he and Rondon couldn't run a bath between them.

Made up that he managed to have a giggle with Josh King at the end though. 

I’m still baffled how we ended up giving away that corner. Yes, we should have defended it better, but the lack of control of a football that got us there just baffled me. 
A few of these players are really going to cause more problems for the manager than the opposition. 

41 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m still baffled how we ended up giving away that corner. Yes, we should have defended it better, but the lack of control of a football that got us there just baffled me. 
A few of these players are really going to cause more problems for the manager than the opposition. 

We are an extremely poor footballing side. Too few players even want the ball and then when they are asked to use it they haven't got a clue what to do with it.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We are an extremely poor footballing side. Too few players even want the ball and then when they are asked to use it they haven't got a clue what to do with it.

It was interesting that we were doing so well as of a couple of weeks ago, with the lowest possession in the league. We then come up against two teams at Goodison who weren’t too bothered about having the ball and they both turn us over. 
We need to be a better side. Right now we aren’t. I’m gutted we’ve been missing Richarlison, DCL and now Doucoure, but it’s much worse than that to me. 

10 minutes ago, StevO said:

It was interesting that we were doing so well as of a couple of weeks ago, with the lowest possession in the league. We then come up against two teams at Goodison who weren’t too bothered about having the ball and they both turn us over. 
We need to be a better side. Right now we aren’t. I’m gutted we’ve been missing Richarlison, DCL and now Doucoure, but it’s much worse than that to me. 

We need to have more emphasis on ability, rather than just triers. That's part of the reason the likes of Tom Davies are still here, because he try's. You've got to have more than that if you actually want to do something. You look at Townsend and how well he's been received and it's mostly down to how hard he works, rather than him showing an awful lot of quality. There's been the odd flash of quality, which is par for the course for a player that has never shown any sort of consistency in his entire career. He really should be nothing but a squad player for any team that wants to go anywhere. Ben Godfrey is loved because of his blood and thunder tackles and mad sprints up the pitch (that usually end up with him losing the ball), but has shown he's a bit of a liability while he's learning his trade. I'm certain that if Rondon was giving it a go but still looking as useless at his actual job on the pitch he'd be getting a much easier ride. Just see Niasse for the perfect example of that.

We need more quality and we need to stop accepting less quality because they try. I'm not saying we don't need triers but I feel there's too much emphasis on that, and that's why when we need to play football, and actually beat sides through our own means, we fall flat on our faces.

• 4 weeks later...