IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, StevO said:

I don’t get why he was the option to replace James. Even Bernard offers more, or throw King his first start on the wing, but we know what to expect from Iwobi. Nothing. 

I’ve said it before Ancelotti seems to rate Iwobi he sees something in him more than with others that we don’t. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’ve said it before Ancelotti seems to rate Iwobi he sees something in him more than with others that we don’t. 

my take is bernard is very weak, pushed off the ball, not a premier player.  he might be more skilled but Carlo knows a couple shoves and he's out of the match (we've seen it before, he gets intimidated and then is a ghost).  With Iwobi he's big and strong enough to hang with the pace and strength of the league, he just doesn't have the technical abilities.  I think it's the lesser of 2 evils for Carlo.  I imagine both would be moved on if given the choice and reinforcements.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

my take is bernard is very weak, pushed off the ball, not a premier player.  he might be more skilled but Carlo knows a couple shoves and he's out of the match (we've seen it before, he gets intimidated and then is a ghost).  With Iwobi he's big and strong enough to hang with the pace and strength of the league, he just doesn't have the technical abilities.  I think it's the lesser of 2 evils for Carlo.  I imagine both would be moved on if given the choice and reinforcements.

I agree when more come in they will be surplus to requirements, but whether we can off load them will be a different matter. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I think Iwobi is technically good. It's his decision making and tunnel vision that make him frustrating. His crossing is not great but his passing i don't think is bad, I've witnessed him make a few decent killer balls. 

9 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I think Iwobi is technically good. It's his decision making and tunnel vision that make him frustrating. His crossing is not great but his passing i don't think is bad, I've witnessed him make a few decent killer balls. 

Agree 100%. I think he's one of our more technical players. Unfortunately, that doesn't really count for much when he has absolutely no end product. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I think Iwobi is crap, technically and however else you chose to measure it. Has added nothing to us and never will; said it before but he's Dan Gosling only on a much higher wage.

This. There’s nothing there whatsoever.

The only thing I can think of that he’s technically good at is running into opposition players. Absolutely spot on with that and very rarely fails.

He’s a worse version of Bolasie and he was dog shit. 

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

The problem with Iwobi is definitely between the ears. He has the all-round game but just doesn't show it at all. I still maintain that whilst he is probably best through the middle, if that isn't an option then he should be played off the left.

16 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Agree 100%. I think he's one of our more technical players. Unfortunately, that doesn't really count for much when he has absolutely no end product. 

This hits the nail on the head though. Through the years there have been many good players that failed when it came to the important part. It was one of the reasons Deulefeu was quite unique for a young lad. It was just a shame that he doesn't really like running or playing to orders.

15 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

It was but it’s nowhere near enough, if he needs James to hold his hand for a good performance.

He is the master of crabbing sideways across the field, his compass needs calibrating.

He showed more in that performance than I've seen from Richarlison all season, and he has the benefit of Digne behind him.

I recall him playing well at RWB early in the season (or late last?) and having a good run of form around then. 

I don't think he is going to improve much, but maybe Carlo wants to work with him. In fact, i think Carlo realises he has to work with a lot of players, because there's a lot of dross which isn't going to be shifted all at once. 

13 hours ago, StevO said:

For me he is by far the weakest player in the squad who regularly gets a game. I can’t see anyone trying to buy him either. 

He epitomises everything that is wrong with the side.

His inclusion is based on the few good performances he can throw in.  Can be a 9/10 player but is far too often 5/10 and isn't arsed in the slightest 

3 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I take it that you close your eyes for all Richarlisons goals and closing opponents down.

You must have missed the 22 games he didn't manage to score in as his runs and finishing have been piss poor.

Don't fault his effort but his quality has been well off.