IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

On 15/12/2020 at 19:25, Palfy said:

I wouldn’t mess with the formation just to fit one player in, I would say work harder to that player and become an automatic choice, that goes for every position in the team. 

I wouldn’t to an extent. But if anyone has a niggle at the weekend (but not Doucoure, Richarlison or DCL) then I wouldn’t mind if someone was taken out to fit him in. 
That said, if we could start the game with a similar team and then bring James on second half to change the game, I don’t think Arsenal could handle it. 

On 15/12/2020 at 19:25, Palfy said:

I wouldn’t mess with the formation just to fit one player in, I would say work harder to that player and become an automatic choice, that goes for every position in the team. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I wouldn’t to an extent. But if anyone has a niggle at the weekend (but not Doucoure, Richarlison or DCL) then I wouldn’t mind if someone was taken out to fit him in. 
That said, if we could start the game with a similar team and then bring James on second half to change the game, I don’t think Arsenal could handle it. 

Steve’s answered for me. 

On 16/12/2020 at 05:25, Palfy said:

433 4231 it’s almost the same thing really. 
James can play central of the 3 midfields as Gylfi is right now. He doesn’t need to fly into tackles or make loads of intercept. Just needs to occupy that space, cut passing lanes and press - as a unit which is key.

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Why everyone is so intent on fitting James into the team and changing the system that has seen us beat two highflying teams and not concede is beyond me. 

I think it’s more for when he comes into the team - even if he’s subbed in for the last 30 I think everyone wants him central and not out wide.

23 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think it’s more for when he comes into the team - even if he’s subbed in for the last 30 I think everyone wants him central and not out wide.

But you still have to defend centrally or out wide, I would use him off the bench and wouldn’t start him until he adapted his game to the demands of the team and league. 
Like I said weeks ago you can’t carry players no matter how good they are on the ball, it’s what you do off the ball that wins games, and maybe we are seeing why he struggled for so long at Madrid, managers wanting more and him unable or not prepared to give it, we shouldn’t be looking at ways of fitting him into the team by changing the system to try and suit, one man doesn’t make a team as we’ve seen,

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

But you still have to defend centrally or out wide, I would use him off the bench and wouldn’t start him until he adapted his game to the demands of the team and league. 
Like I said weeks ago you can’t carry players no matter how good they are on the ball, it’s what you do off the ball that wins games, and maybe we are seeing why he struggled for so long at Madrid, managers wanting more and him unable or not prepared to give it, we shouldn’t be looking at ways of fitting him into the team by changing the system to try and suit, one man doesn’t make a team as we’ve seen,

He’s not as useless in defence as he is made out to be.

As I mentioned above though, he just need to cut passing lanes and press with the other midfielders. If he can’t or won’t manage that then he shouldn’t be here.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

433 4231 it’s almost the same thing really. 
James can play central of the 3 midfields as Gylfi is right now. He doesn’t need to fly into tackles or make loads of intercept. Just needs to occupy that space, cut passing lanes and press - as a unit which is key.

I think that does Gylfi a bit of disservice. I know he gets a lot of bad press but he is usually one of the first ones to react to developing situations or to start the press, especially in the first half. He is very aware of what is going on around him both offensively and defensively whereas James, because of the nature of the player he is, largely sees the former. He just doesn't react like a player that is invested in the defensive work for the team.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

Makes no difference if he’s central or out wide. Him playing our wide just leave a nice big space for him to cut inside, and space for a full back then after he cuts in. That’s always been the case and it works time and time again.