IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

Would be quite happy to see Iwobi moved on, as I just can't see him turn in to the player we hoped he would be. Not enough assist or goals for an attacking player. 

I would think there would be plenty of 'replacements' available this summer, even if just on a loan if the squad was a bit short. Would rather see fringe players with little future moved on

17 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Would be quite happy to see Iwobi moved on, as I just can't see him turn in to the player we hoped he would be. Not enough assist or goals for an attacking player. 

I would think there would be plenty of 'replacements' available this summer, even if just on a loan if the squad was a bit short. Would rather see fringe players with little future moved on

He did look fairly decent in some of the friendlies decent as in he looked one of our better players, but whether that transpires into league form is another matter with Iwobi he will give you a couple of decent games where you think Christ yeah he’s got it and then do nothing for 12 games. I think you’re right he needs to be moved on but easier said than done with players costing what he did and the wages he’s on. 

Even if we sell him for lets say £20 million, how much cash will this free up under FFP?

How much will we have to spend to buy a replacement who is better?

Do we have a list of targets?

With our squad which is crying out for creativity and goal threat can we find someone better who we can afford?

I'm not saying we should keep Iwobi, but should he be given a chance under a new manager?

13 hours ago, London Blue said:

Even if we sell him for lets say £20 million, how much cash will this free up under FFP?

With our squad which is crying out for creativity and goal threat can we find someone better who we can afford?

I'm not saying we should keep Iwobi, but should he be given a chance under a new manager?

Think we have for free to be honest.

If Iwobi going means we get in Dumfries I’m all for it. Said it before that he has ability and just something hasn’t clicked but if we can get any sort of decent money for him it’s a yes.

17 minutes ago, Harv said:

Arsenal must still be laughing about his sale.

Can't see a club being interested at anywhere near what we gave. We would struggle to get half.

We would only really need half to break even on him now he’s a couple of years into his contract. Fingers crossed someone fancies him. 

On 09/08/2021 at 22:16, London Blue said:

Don’t really understand it all but I thought it was more the wage bill than transfer fees that were holding us back?

On 11/08/2021 at 17:27, StevO said:

We would only really need half to break even on him now he’s a couple of years into his contract. Fingers crossed someone fancies him. 

Good point.

Those two years have been very poor value for money.

Championship beckons.

17 hours ago, c1982 said:

I think (or hope blindly) Iwobi may change a few opinions this season.

I think he’s shown flashes when playing inside. He’s played some good passes from there. He’s just never a winger. Doesn’t have the crossing or 1v1 ability. Given our current makeup in the midfield, he’s never getting a better chance with us to show himself. At the least he’s auditioning for a move so motivation should be high.

when we bought him i said he was the same as the other arsenal players that were big upped, theo walcott, Alex Ox, Jack Wilshere, alex iwobi.  just because they played for aresenal and most were english everyone big upped them, i said they were all shite, people said i was an idiot.  you look at my statement today and you see i was correct.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

when we bought him i said he was the same as the other arsenal players that were big upped, theo walcott, Alex Ox, Jack Wilshere, alex iwobi.  just because they played for aresenal and most were english everyone big upped them, i said they were all shite, people said i was an idiot.  you look at my statement today and you see i was correct.

FWIW Walcott played great for Southampton last season. They like him there. Part of the problem is as you describe but the other part is on the club to put these guys in a position to be successful.  A small example but look what happened with Josh King last year. He didn’t get the opportunity he was led to believe would be there by Carlo and so comes off as uninvolved/ineffective. 

8 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

FWIW Walcott played great for Southampton last season. They like him there. Part of the problem is as you describe but the other part is on the club to put these guys in a position to be successful.  A small example but look what happened with Josh King last year. He didn’t get the opportunity he was led to believe would be there by Carlo and so comes off as uninvolved/ineffective. 

i think a lot of it is the players around them too.  peak aaron ramsey, ozil feeding them balls and creating, peak giroud pulling defenders.  it helps to make an average player look better.  it's why i'm always skepitcal buying players from the top 6 in the premier league.  

I don't think Iwobi is going anywhere. If James goes or is not trusted by Benitez as the starting attacking midfielder and Gyfi is not in the equation - then Iwobi might by default get a prolonged shot at his preferred position - rather than half a game here and there. 

It will be up to him to then show what he can do. 

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I don't think Iwobi is going anywhere. If James goes or is not trusted by Benitez as the starting attacking midfielder and Gyfi is not in the equation - then Iwobi might by default get a prolonged shot at his preferred position - rather than half a game here and there. 

It will be up to him to then show what he can do. 

More likely we'll see what he can't.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

More likely we'll see what he can't.

I don't have any great hopes for him either - I have seen more than enough to suspect he is never going to be a consistent 7 out of 10 performer for a team having European aspirations - no matter what position he plays in.

My only hope is that if he gets a decent run of games we will get some good form and consistency from him - even if it just means we have a saleable asset. He is another expensive flop at the moment.

Having a couple wingers out wide might do him (or anyone playing centrally) the world of good.  We were so narrow last year and totally unable to create or exploit space.  Iwobi obviously doesn't have the pace to be a PL winger (and I suspect the PL is just too fast for him generally) but he may find a bit more luck playing in front of a midfiel 2.  Who knows, but we're likely to be short of options and will find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I don't have any great hopes for him either - I have seen more than enough to suspect he is never going to be a consistent 7 out of 10 performer for a team having European aspirations - no matter what position he plays in.

My only hope is that if he gets a decent run of games we will get some good form and consistency from him - even if it just means we have a saleable asset. He is another expensive flop at the moment.

When he's had a better spell it has been when he's played a run of games. 

With a new manager it is a new start for these players and hopefully he can make the most of it. 

I will say that I saw a different Iwobi pre season. He seemed to have a decent burst on him and looked very strong on the ball. 
Against Man U he was able to keep the ball under control while being challenged, and came out the other end time and time again. 

No idea if that was just a pre season glitch, or maybe a change on coaching.

My worry with Iwobi is that he just lacks composure with the final ball or when shooting on goal, and I am not sure that will improve. He just seem to fluff his lines.

Maybe a 'make or break' 10-15 game run in a position that suits him is what is needed - as he hasn't had that yet. It would be a bit sickening to see him go to another team - and then flourish and grow in his favoured position. 

I have been willing him to do well - as I like the fella.