IGNORED

10 managers to choose from

10 managers to choose from  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to be the next manager - if these were your only choices (in alpha order)?

• Mikel Arteta
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Eddie Howe
    • Marcelino
    • Jose Mourinho
    • David Moyes
    • Phil Neville
    • Gareth Southgate
    • David Unsworth

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

You don’t see a manager with an aim and making the most of his resources? I don’t see his strikers running the channels that much, I see them in the box causing problems. 

I see a manager who knows he can’t attract or afford players like Andre Gomes and Richarlison, so makes the most of what he can get his hands on. He doesn’t have a £100m budget every year and even if he did he couldn’t get them players to go to Burnley.

Today our 4231/433 lost at home to Norwich. His 442 won away at Watford and are sitting sixth in the league table. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Sean Dyche is a better football manager than Marco Silva, to be honest outside last seasons top six I think only Rogers and Nuno Santos are better than him. 

Nothing old fashioned about winning football matches.

One last point though Aidan, Dyche is old fashioned but you would accept Moyes? Come on mate. 

I knew that would be a counter argument. Moyes could come and steady the ship until the summer. Of course unless we could attract the likes of Poch at the minute. 

With Dyche I see a manager doing very very well setting up 442, low block, physical, direct and who is probably the best at doing that. Unfortunately that is what he is good at and that type of football isn't something you can build a successful football team around long term. 

I'm not against Dyche as a person or a manager, I actually like the man. I just  don't think he fits at Everton. 

Just now, Aidan said:

I knew that would be a counter argument. Moyes could come and steady the ship until the summer. Of course unless we could attract the likes of Poch at the minute. 

With Dyche I see a manager doing very very well setting up 442, low block, physical, direct and who is probably the best at doing that. Unfortunately that is what he is good at and that type of football isn't something you can build a successful football team around long term. 

I'm not against Dyche as a person or a manager, I actually like the man. I just g don't think he fits at Everton. 

I’m assuming you have a job Aidan? 
If you had a better location, facilities, funding, resources, could you do better at your job? Or are you only capable of what you have been doing for the last five years? If you had more talent around you could you see better results/output from the people you work alongside too?

There is nothing to suggest that a manager who has done something in a previous role would do the exact same thing and employ the exact same tactics. Maybe if a manager (like Sam) has done the same thing for 20 years, but not after only a short career in limited situations. I honestly think Dyche would try something different and make the most of the additional resources and better quality players at his disposal. But without giving someone the chance we’ll never know. Ironically we’ll probably hire someone with a similar track record as Dyche from another country. 

Not trying to be a prick by the way.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just want someone who will play the best players, in the best positions for them, in the best system for them.

That doesn't fucking include playing so many bastard slow players in a system that requires us to play quick football, and break teams down that sit back. Also it might be handy to play an actual playmaker as a playmaker, not Gylfi fucking Sigurdsson. And if there is no playmaker in the team don't pick a fucking system that requires one to succeed!

Ooh I say, very angry Rom for a Sunday morning, I like it mate 👍🙂

Ten Hag and Pocchettino I don't think are realistic options.

I think both Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche are capable PL managers and much better at their jobs than Silva. However, can we get them out from under their contracts if they'd even agree to come here? And while they are capable, have they shown that they are top managers in the years of evidence we have so far?

I'd still give the job to Arteta over the middle of the road Howe and Dyche options. Of course, he might not be too keen on it either as he might think he could be walking into the Arsenal job if he bides his time for a couple more weeks. 

On 23/11/2019 at 18:43, StevO said:

I’d take Dyche. Burnley might not be fancy and attractive, but he’s never had better quality than what he’s got. He’s never been able to attract them to Burnley. I honestly think he could do more with the extra resource and better players that he would have at Everton.

One thing I do know with him, if anyone isn’t putting enough effort in they won’t be playing. I’d like to see Everton players battle again, and not just Davies on his own. 

I think Dyche is the more likely English manager to get us to a certain level and keep us there, a bit like Moyes if you like. He would have to change his ways to get us any further than that though in my opinion because that style of football only gets you so far.

2 hours ago, Steve_E said:

Ten Hag and Pocchettino I don't think are realistic options.

I think both Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche are capable PL managers and much better at their jobs than Silva. However, can we get them out from under their contracts if they'd even agree to come here? And while they are capable, have they shown that they are top managers in the years of evidence we have so far?

I'd still give the job to Arteta over the middle of the road Howe and Dyche options. Of course, he might not be too keen on it either as he might think he could be walking into the Arsenal job if he bides his time for a couple more weeks. 

Completely agree.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think Dyche is the more likely English manager to get us to a certain level and keep us there, a bit like Moyes if you like. He would have to change his ways to get us any further than that though in my opinion because that style of football only gets you so far.

Completely agree.

I think he would be stable like Moyes was. I’m not sure we would see the same style of football as he’s had at Burnley. I’d hope he would be a bit more forward thinking with better players, but I guess we’ll never know unless he gets a shot. 
On the other hand, I like Howe but worry he would be even more open defensively with better players around him. 

If the option is moyes or Hughes I would take Howe straight away if that makes sense? I just mean I’m not confident on him but If they are the options he’s my guy. If we are spreading the net wider. Benitez would be the one. He’s a winner and players respect him. Granted If results arent going right he will get shit but so will the above managers 

21 hours ago, StevO said:

I think he would be stable like Moyes was. I’m not sure we would see the same style of football as he’s had at Burnley. I’d hope he would be a bit more forward thinking with better players, but I guess we’ll never know unless he gets a shot. 
On the other hand, I like Howe but worry he would be even more open defensively with better players around him. 

To be fair to Dyche, I have seen some games where his team has played some decent football. He isn't completely one dimensional. I think it is another comparison with Moyes in that his teams could play a bit when given the chance, but their bread and butter is more one dimensional, hard to beat type of performance. Its not a bad thing, especially given what we have seen the last few years when we have seemed completely unable to stop the other team scoring at least one.

I agree about Howe, and that's a good point.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

To be fair to Dyche, I have seen some games where his team has played some decent football. He isn't completely one dimensional. I think it is another comparison with Moyes in that his teams could play a bit when given the chance, but their bread and butter is more one dimensional, hard to beat type of performance. Its not a bad thing, especially given what we have seen the last few years when we have seemed completely unable to stop the other team scoring at least one.

I agree about Howe, and that's a good point.

If we could bring in Howe and Dyche together it would be lovely, just like many said about having Moyes and Martinez, that great blend of attack and solidity. 

On 23/11/2019 at 19:46, StevO said:

I’m assuming you have a job Aidan? 
If you had a better location, facilities, funding, resources, could you do better at your job? Or are you only capable of what you have been doing for the last five years? If you had more talent around you could you see better results/output from the people you work alongside too?

There is nothing to suggest that a manager who has done something in a previous role would do the exact same thing and employ the exact same tactics. Maybe if a manager (like Sam) has done the same thing for 20 years, but not after only a short career in limited situations. I honestly think Dyche would try something different and make the most of the additional resources and better quality players at his disposal. But without giving someone the chance we’ll never know. Ironically we’ll probably hire someone with a similar track record as Dyche from another country. 

Not trying to be a prick by the way.

Say there were two sergeants in the police force, one was a fantastic field officer, has the most arrests in the county! And the other was a fantastic CID investigator. They're both 'officers' but you wouldn't employ the field officer to head a murder investigation would you? 

What an awful analogy. What I'm trying to say is Dyche wouldn't make us into the club that we want to become. 

But then again I might be wrong, it's just opinion I suppose. 

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

Say there were two sergeants in the police force, one was a fantastic field officer, has the most arrests in the county! And the other was a fantastic CID investigator. They're both 'officers' but you wouldn't employ the field officer to head a murder investigation would you? 

What an awful analogy. What I'm trying to say is Dyche wouldn't make us into the club that we want to become. 

But then again I might be wrong, it's just opinion I suppose. 

The police analogy was way beyond me mate haha

I get the point, I understand why people wouldn’t want him, I just think he could do more with the better resources we have at our club than at Burnley. I don’t get why people would think that he would just do the same thing regardless of players and resource available to him. If he had done the same thing at many clubs, like Sam, and had his public blueprint, like Sam, I’d get it.

I’m only a champion of him due to how much he has impressed me over the last few years. The way he talks, he has values and beliefs that I think we have missed since Moyes left, but he also talks about the use of technology to improve, adapting to opponents weaknesses, the importance of both attack and defence (seems simple but so many managers look after one over the other). He was also on Joey Barton’s podcast and came across really well. He’s probably the kind of manager I would thrive under in my job, but I reckon he knows fuck all about cars and I know fuck all about footy. 😂

edit; worth listening to that whole podcast series. 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

The police analogy was way beyond me mate haha

I get the point, I understand why people wouldn’t want him, I just think he could do more with the better resources we have at our club than at Burnley. I don’t get why people would think that he would just do the same thing regardless of players and resource available to him. If he had done the same thing at many clubs, like Sam, and had his public blueprint, like Sam, I’d get it.

I’m only a champion of him due to how much he has impressed me over the last few years. The way he talks, he has values and beliefs that I think we have missed since Moyes left, but he also talks about the use of technology to improve, adapting to opponents weaknesses, the importance of both attack and defence (seems simple but so many managers look after one over the other). He was also on Joey Barton’s podcast and came across really well. He’s probably the kind of manager I would thrive under in my job, but I reckon he knows fuck all about cars and I know fuck all about footy. 😂

edit; worth listening to that whole podcast series. 

I've seen him in a couple of interviews too and he definitely has a likability about him. Without sounding like I just want a flashy name I'm just uneasy about employing him to take us forward. No doubt he would likely provide stability, but would he provide success? 

On 28/11/2019 at 22:28, Aidan said:

I've seen him in a couple of interviews too and he definitely has a likability about him. Without sounding like I just want a flashy name I'm just uneasy about employing him to take us forward. No doubt he would likely provide stability, but would he provide success? 

I know what you mean Aidan. I can’t actually put a finger on why I would have faith in him to be a success. It’s just a feeling I have about the guy. It could be his drive, maybe just his likability, I’m not sure. I like Eddie Howe but I don’t think I’d be as comfortable with him in charge. To be fair though, I can’t see us taking on Dyche anyway so I don’t think we’ll find out. I hope he gets a bigger job in the near future, I’d really like to see what he can do. There aren’t enough british managers getting top jobs, and a lot of the foreign guys coming in aren’t any better really. (Before anyone jumps in with Pep and Klopp, I know, they are brilliant)

emery worked wonders at Sevilla where he had a DOF in Monchi.  He is supposed to be a tactical guru but an awful man manager.  in that i mean he doesn't do anything, he expects other assistant managers to handle the players, this is why it went up in flames at arsenal.  i didn't see the tactical genius at arsenal either but again Sevilla he won the europa league like 3 years in a row.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

emery worked wonders at Sevilla where he had a DOF in Monchi.  He is supposed to be a tactical guru but an awful man manager.  in that i mean he doesn't do anything, he expects other assistant managers to handle the players, this is why it went up in flames at arsenal.  i didn't see the tactical genius at arsenal either but again Sevilla he won the europa league like 3 years in a row.

If we are going to persist with this current crop of players we need a serious man manager who is enlist accountability into the players.

18 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I genuinly believe that the language barrier has something to do with his poor man managment.

His Spanish and it was the same in Spain I’ve read.  Everything I’ve read said he is simply not a man manager type, he’s a tactical type and always has been.  Sevilla has outstanding talent and so did PSG, at arsenal he didn’t have much to work with.  That’s what the journos I respect have said.