IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

12 minutes ago, johnh said:

I don't go out much but on the odd occasions I go to the grocery store, I never see anyone without a mask. The last time I went I was just walking up the first aisle, when, seeing all the people wearing masks,  realised that I had left mine in the car and had to go back and get it!  Here in Berkshire, it is very unusual to see anyone without a mask.

Same here.

47 minutes ago, johnh said:

I don't go out much but on the odd occasions I go to the grocery store, I never see anyone without a mask. The last time I went I was just walking up the first aisle, when, seeing all the people wearing masks,  realised that I had left mine in the car and had to go back and get it!  Here in Berkshire, it is very unusual to see anyone without a mask.

Probably because you and Mike live in areas of the country where the average IQ is higher and propensity to show ignorance with arrogance is less. 

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I noted months ago how most white men point-blank refused to wear a mask in our local grocery store despite all the signs, employees telling them at the door, etc. It was infuriating, and you could tell they were spoiling for a fight.

Now, there is no mask mandate, but I have to say that a majority of people in that same store still choose to wear a mask. It's true for about 95% of black shoppers, 75% of white women, and maybe 25% the rest. It's striking. As a matter of respect for the majority rather than for any other reason (since I've had the virus and both vaccinations), I still wear a mask in the store.

It would be interesting to know whether this phenomenon is true in other parts of the country: minorities wearing masks while white men especially do not.

We don’t wear masks because we are vaccinated and our state lifted the mandate.  If I have the anti-venom, why fear the venom?

I have noticed that those most against vaccines and masks are the ones most keen to shake your hand or to not keep their distance.

Whilst I do not agree with it, I understand that some people have reservations, but at the very least, respect other people enough to give them some space.

44 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

We don’t wear masks because we are vaccinated and our state lifted the mandate.  If I have the anti-venom, why fear the venom?

This is sort of how I've come around to thinking. I felt very conflicted not wearing a mask inside a grocery store, Target, etc. So I asked some people for advice, one of whom is a nurse who was in the thick of the covid wards for the last year, and she said something along the lines of "This is why we got the vaccine! So that we can be out and about without masks on!" 

So I felt a little better about my choice to not wear one after hearing that, but I also fully understand people's reservations. It's a very personal experience.

On 02/07/2021 at 08:40, markjazzbassist said:

The truth, though, is that maybe 40% of people are vaccinated (depending on the state) and the others refuse to have the vaccine. This leads the population wide open to a new virulent strain. At this point, I don't wear a mask in places I'm confident people have been vaccinated, but I continue wearing a mask in more public places - despite the occasional insult for doing so.

8 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The truth, though, is that maybe 40% of people are vaccinated (depending on the state) and the others refuse to have the vaccine. This leads the population wide open to a new virulent strain. At this point, I don't wear a mask in places I'm confident people have been vaccinated, but I continue wearing a mask in more public places - despite the occasional insult for doing so.

why though?  if you are vaccinated what benefit does a mask offer?

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

why though?  if you are vaccinated what benefit does a mask offer?

I know of 3 people right now who have caught covid and are vaccinated.... One feels awful, in bed aching.

So yes you can catch it, you can pass it on and you can feel rubbish with it.

The vaccine gives your body the information to fight the virus which is why hospitalisations are much lower.  

So for me, people still need to be cautious to a degree in order to lessen the transmission and potential mutations that occur through repeated transmission.

As for that video shared by Mike... The sad thing is that people who have the time on their hands to be so opposed to lockdown, restrictions, vaccinations...... They are the reason that people can be radicalised, they feel a sense of belonging-community.

Should just join toffeetalk with us  crazy lot 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, plus the vaccine is not 100% effective - although it does reduce the severity if you do contract one of the variants. 

Right and the mask isn’t 100% effective either.  So what next everyone stuck at home again?  People aren’t going to get vaccinated, that’s their choice. Yes I know you can still get it but it’s not severe.  I have co workers who got it after the vaccine.  It was a cold.  Point being there is no sense pandering to the people who choose not to get it.  For the people who medically can’t get it, up to them if they wanna risk it leaving their home or not, statistically it’s a very very small minority. 

41 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Right and the mask isn’t 100% effective either.  So what next everyone stuck at home again?  People aren’t going to get vaccinated, that’s their choice. Yes I know you can still get it but it’s not severe.  I have co workers who got it after the vaccine.  It was a cold.  Point being there is no sense pandering to the people who choose not to get it.  For the people who medically can’t get it, up to them if they wanna risk it leaving their home or not, statistically it’s a very very small minority. 

Except that it's not really about the health of those refusing the vaccine: It's about the health of vulnerable people around them whom they may infect. To me, this has always been the issue: If someone is happy with getting sick, fine; however, the issue doesn't stop there. We ought to be considering the welfare of neighbors as much as our own.

I know for a fact that the people in my local hospital intensive care all are non vaccinated .....

Scary shit that the likes of Gillian Mckeith, Matt le Tissier etc all of whom have absolutely no qualifications are scaring people into not getting a vaccine......  How the fuck do they sleep at night? 

I mean we all like to be right don't we? I love Lukaku missing a sitter but fuck me - these dickheads are using people's lives as a means to prove themselves right.  

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Except that it's not really about the health of those refusing the vaccine: It's about the health of vulnerable people around them whom they may infect. To me, this has always been the issue: If someone is happy with getting sick, fine; however, the issue doesn't stop there. We ought to be considering the welfare of neighbors as much as our own.

i'm confused, don't those neighbors not have the same option do get vaccinated?  Everyone in the US has had the option to get vaccinated IF THEY WANT TO at this point.  if people are choosing not to, i'm not going to alter my life because they made that decision and frankly you shouldn't either.  otherwise we'll have the 5% conspiracy nutters running the country if we give in to them!

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm confused, don't those neighbors not have the same option do get vaccinated?  Everyone in the US has had the option to get vaccinated IF THEY WANT TO at this point.  if people are choosing not to, i'm not going to alter my life because they made that decision and frankly you shouldn't either.  otherwise we'll have the 5% conspiracy nutters running the country if we give in to them!

But some, for medical reasons, cannot be vaccinated. Also, several places I go are frequented by minorities, and they mostly wear masks. Wearing one myself is, in part, a demonstration of respect to them. It shouldn't all be about me.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

But some, for medical reasons, cannot be vaccinated. Also, several places I go are frequented by minorities, and they mostly wear masks. Wearing one myself is, in part, a demonstration of respect to them. It shouldn't all be about me.

Getting a vaccine proves it’s not all about you.  Medically unable people shouldn’t be in public, if they choose to be again that’s their choice.  I’ve done what I can to assist everyone, I got vaccinated. 

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Getting a vaccine proves it’s not all about you.  Medically unable people shouldn’t be in public, if they choose to be again that’s their choice.  I’ve done what I can to assist everyone, I got vaccinated. 

Why should those who, through no fault of their own, have medical conditions be confined to their homes - any more than someone in a wheelchair, for example? As a society, shouldn't we impose sensible restrictions on the less needy in order to help the more needy? In the US, the Americans with Disabilities Act is an example of this, but its spirit has not carried over to the pandemic response.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Why should those who, through no fault of their own, have medical conditions be confined to their homes - any more than someone in a wheelchair, for example? As a society, shouldn't we impose sensible restrictions on the less needy in order to help the more needy? In the US, the Americans with Disabilities Act is an example of this, but its spirit has not carried over to the pandemic response.

To do so requires the entire population to mask, which is just not sensible since the amount of medical non-vaccine people is likely less than 1% of the population.  Furthermore due to our unique country and rights people will simply not wear a mask rendering any sort of concession to help those medically non-vaccinated void.  Having a ramp to get into a restaurant is significantly different than having mass population masking.

Also there is a bigger population of people who are exempt from wearing face mask on medical grounds, does that mean you infringe their rights to go out because they may infect a small population of people who cannot have the vaccine. You can go on trying for ever to find the perfect solution to suit everyone and never find it. There is a huge population of young and old who face death on a daily basis because they have severe asthma, everyday pollution is killing them, but we don’t stop driving our cars taking trains or planes when we know doing so could be the difference between life and death for many. Sorry if it upsets some people but when the time comes that I’m told I don’t have to wear a mask I won’t be wearing one, I am compliant now and have been religiously since the beginning and I have had both jabs, so I feel I’ve earned my right to make the choice that suits me under the guidance set out by the government and their advisors, which will or should have taken into consideration everyone’s needs where possible. 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Getting the vaccine is for you, not for everyone else. 
Wearing a mask is for everyone else, not for you. 

Medically unable people shouldn’t be in public? Jesus. I hope you remain healthy for the rest of your days. 
My mother in law has a lung condition. She’s perfectly healthy from day to day, she gets a bit out of breath when she goes for a walk but mostly healthy. She’s had both vaccines. If she was to get coronavirus before the vaccines it was a certain death sentence for her. Now if she gets it she may not fully recover and is still at risk of death. But why shouldn’t she be allowed out in public? She’s healthy, but she’s vulnerable. 

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Good to see some compassion in people. 

49 minutes ago, StevO said:

Getting the vaccine is for you, not for everyone else. 
Wearing a mask is for everyone else, not for you. 

Medically unable people shouldn’t be in public? Jesus. I hope you remain healthy for the rest of your days. 
My mother in law has a lung condition. She’s perfectly healthy from day to day, she gets a bit out of breath when she goes for a walk but mostly healthy. She’s had both vaccines. If she was to get coronavirus before the vaccines it was a certain death sentence for her. Now if she gets it she may not fully recover and is still at risk of death. But why shouldn’t she be allowed out in public? She’s healthy, but she’s vulnerable. 

Getting the vaccine is for you and everyone else. Wearing a mask is for you and everyone else. They both greatly reduce your chances of contracting the virus, thus reduces the chances of you passing it on as well as reduces the number of hosts the virus can mutate in. It's about protecting those whose bodies aren't equipped to fight the virus itself, as well as those who can who can still get sick, so that everyone can go about their lives without fear of getting a virus that could potentially kill them. 

Locking up those potentially vulnerable is a disgusting idea. Getting the population to act responsibly is just common fucking decency.

While I won't be getting the vaccine I certainly have taken the pandemic extremely seriously and certainly don't think any of it is a hoax, or anything like that.

When this all kicked off I didn't leave my house for three months and kept all contact with others to a bare minimum. Once everything started to be lifted I've worn a mask where required and still kept contact with others down to as little as possible. I'm looking forward to everything being lifted fully but if places still request certain limitations despite it no longer being mandatory then I'll be more than willing to still comply.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

My experience through this pandemic has been one of great disappointment on the whole.

The phrase "empty vessels make the most noise" has never been more apt.  

Arrogant, uninformed dickheads letting their refusal of being told what to do drive then towards more uninformed dickheads who provide them with complete and utter bollocks.

Replace "this pandemic" with "the previous US presidency", and your words are just as relevant. It's the sense of entitlement, the right to do no matter what however much it hurts or even kills others, the sense of superiority and arrogance and insensitivity, as if declaring "bring it on" is a declaration of machismo.