IGNORED

Salford City (cup) Wednesday 16/9/20

Btay

11 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Am I the only one that thought, outside the last 20 minutes and a nice ball for the first assist, Gylfi was fairly poor today? The whole midfield 3 were.  Just far too negative when getting on the ball out of the back and then anywhere through the middle.  All the industry was via the CBs or down the wings.

Keane, Nkounkou, or Gordon best for mine.

You've just saved my sanity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Creaming over Gylfi fluffing up his stats against a fucking League 2 side, whilst totally forgetting that up against even half-decent opposition he literally hides on the pitch!

You want a flat track bully, here you go. Look no further than Gylfi Sigurdsson.

A return to the slow, boring, clueles football from last season. It was a million miles away from Sunday and was a reminder that that sort of football is only a few injuries away again. So lets pray for minimal injuries...

I expected more from some of these players. They should have been showing that they can be part of this squad, fighting for their places. But out of the more established players only Davies showed anything approaching that. He showed hunger for me and I almost fell off my chair when he ran forward with the ball a couple of times. He should have had a goal too. Kenny was disappointing for me, didn't really get involved. Kean was pap. Gylfi was Gylfi (see above for full view on him). Nothing new to say about Walcott - he has a go but he's frustrating. Same with Bernie really.

The ones that did do themselves justice are Gordon and Nkounkou. For the Frenchman he looks strong, powerful but also very skilful as well - he's got quick feet and can beat a man. We don't need to bring in another LB if this is what he's showing already. I'm so glad Gordon had a game like that because despite being impressed with his effort and work ethic I've been a little disappointed with his performances as a whole. But he really came into his own and grew as the game went on. He was very unlucky not to have at least one goal. It's only League 2 opposition but it will give him a nice little confidence boost. If we do bring in another wide player his game time will suffer so it'll be very important to get him a good loan move - he'll have plenty of takers, I'm sure.

Dont see any future for Moise at the club, awful. no touch,no control and no end product.

This is the reason we got him from Italy for buttons.

There were some good performances last night but remember it was Salford we played.

Until we got the 2nd goal in the last 15 mins we did not look safe.

9 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Considering how the market has evolved in the last 10 years this has shades of Seamus type value. Long way still but certainly stood out today. 

Even better maybe, we had to pay for Seamus - Niels was free (long way to go though - maybe we should loan him to Blackpool - but signs are there that he could be very good)

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

Kean to his credit played very well in the second half. Yes he should have scored the header but his contribution to the team was loads better and credit to whoever it was who told him to sort himself out at half time. He stopped over-playing and he did the simple things well. 

That was very visible I thought too - 1st half performance he could have been pulled and moved on. Second half much different - a Carlo rocket at half time maybe?

52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You've just saved my sanity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Creaming over Gylfi fluffing up his stats against a fucking League 2 side, whilst totally forgetting that up against even half-decent opposition he literally hides on the pitch!

You want a flat track bully, here you go. Look no further than Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Yep. Exactly the same as me.... I wanted Gylfi doing his thing when we were losing the ball left right and centre.  All very well doing it at 2.0 when Salford had given up.   He should have been doing what james did for us Vs spurs..... "Gimme the ball, I'll look after it and give it to a man in space"

It's the reason why we have been a weak side, poor character in players who should offer more. 

Moise Kean another, couldn't trap a bag of cement but stole the penno at 2-0 up which I think Gordon should have had.... He blanked Gordon's congratulations. Pissed me off as he proved he's another who is all about him.  Made up Dunc subbed him, the lads ego is ridiculous

3 hours ago, Cisk said:

Even better maybe, we had to pay for Seamus - Niels was free (long way to go though - maybe we should loan him to Blackpool - but signs are there that he could be very good)

You're absolutely right. Sorry i thought we forked over a couple hundred thousand in a transfer fee/tribunal. On a free this is even more incredible. 

4 hours ago, Tonsta said:

Dont see any future for Moise at the club, awful. no touch,no control and no end product.

This is the reason we got him from Italy for buttons.

i think we actually paid a lot of money for him which is the problem.  we are likely to lose on that come sell time so i think they're hoping he comes good.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think we actually paid a lot of money for him which is the problem.  we are likely to lose on that come sell time so i think they're hoping he comes good.

I think he needs to go on loan. Really wanted him to succeed but his attitude seems a bit weird. He can’t play the hold up striker as has been mentioned before, and usually I’d say we should play to his strengths to get the best out of him, but blanking Gordon is just unacceptable 

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

Gordon should have done better, we targeted their right back as he was clearly their weak link yet Gordon's end product let him down. He'll not be happy with that performance, and he'll not have an easier game in his career. 

Really don't see what Davies done wrong to ignite his moaners. He played better than the captain of Iceland and a Brazilian international who are both more experienced yet less stick. On Bernard, given the opposition I'd expect an exhibition from him, he was really disappointing today, half arsed or in two minds what to do. 

With a young lad like Gordon you have to expect that their end ball isn't going to be consistent. Only the very best come out of the womb with that composure and some like Walcott never get there. He probably should have ended up with at least a goal, in fact I think he missed his easiest chance or hit it right at the keeper, and he had easier balls he should have converted for clear cut chances for teammates but in the end he picked one out and then was also able to fire off a couple of decent shots that were inches from nestling in the bottom corner. He still has a lot to work on but he at least stood out as being better than the opposition.

I didn't think Davies played poorly, far from it, it was much more like him but you still saw the same issues he has that get exposed the higher up the levels he goes. He got caught a couple of times dwelling on the ball, he went through a period in the middle of the game (and he wasn't the only one) of being too safe with his passing options and then the biggest issue for him is that when he does get out of position, which he did for one of their chances, he has no chance of effecting the game because they can jog away from him. There were plenty of positives as well though, and once he started turning on the ball a lot more and getting his head up again and dribbling through gaps but even then he never had the pace or strength to get away, or the final ball to make a difference.

Gyfli on the other hand saw the game straight away. Loads of one touch passing, moving the ball into space, changing the angles of the attacks to where we had men over. He didn't do anything fancy early on in the game but that pivot role isn't about doing anything complicated, it is breaking down attacks and passing the ball on to players in space. Davies did well doing the same thing later in the game. The big difference was in the quality of the attacking balls when he moved into that attacking right hand central midfield channel. Davies can't do that and Gylfi, albeit up against far inferior opposition, did. I am also surprised that you think Bernard was poor as well. He ended up with something like 7 key passes and he was constantly on the move and available. His quality was a little mixed at times, but he probably played the most probing balls of anyone on the pitch, some just didn't come off.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

With a young lad like Gordon you have to expect that their end ball isn't going to be consistent. Only the very best come out of the womb with that composure and some like Walcott never get there. He probably should have ended up with at least a goal, in fact I think he missed his easiest chance or hit it right at the keeper, and he had easier balls he should have converted for clear cut chances for teammates but in the end he picked one out and then was also able to fire off a couple of decent shots that were inches from nestling in the bottom corner. He still has a lot to work on but he at least stood out as being better than the opposition.

I didn't think Davies played poorly, far from it, it was much more like him but you still saw the same issues he has that get exposed the higher up the levels he goes. He got caught a couple of times dwelling on the ball, he went through a period in the middle of the game (and he wasn't the only one) of being too safe with his passing options and then the biggest issue for him is that when he does get out of position, which he did for one of their chances, he has no chance of effecting the game because they can jog away from him. There were plenty of positives as well though, and once he started turning on the ball a lot more and getting his head up again and dribbling through gaps but even then he never had the pace or strength to get away, or the final ball to make a difference.

Gyfli on the other hand saw the game straight away. Loads of one touch passing, moving the ball into space, changing the angles of the attacks to where we had men over. He didn't do anything fancy early on in the game but that pivot role isn't about doing anything complicated, it is breaking down attacks and passing the ball on to players in space. Davies did well doing the same thing later in the game. The big difference was in the quality of the attacking balls when he moved into that attacking right hand central midfield channel. Davies can't do that and Gylfi, albeit up against far inferior opposition, did. I am also surprised that you think Bernard was poor as well. He ended up with something like 7 key passes and he was constantly on the move and available. His quality was a little mixed at times, but he probably played the most probing balls of anyone on the pitch, some just didn't come off.

He had the most chances of an Everton player since Mirallas v Burnley. Could argue he done well to get the opportunities but that right back was so poor, he couldn't handle his pace and got done again and again by the same move from Gordon cutting inside. He was fun to watch but at the end of the day to have nine shots and not score is a pretty poor overall performance. 

In the first half Davies created so much space for Bernard it should have been the Bernard show but instead he dawdled on the ball, made the wrong pass or had a timid shot. Sigurdssen offered very little in the first half albeit he was the most defensive minded of the three. Second half he was involved in the goals otherwise it was another invisible performance. 

Lads ... Just wanna remind you.   We played a dogshit level of football against a side consisting of players who were released from clubs at 14 and played for sides like Rhyl last year..... So I'm finding it difficult to say Tom Davies played well or that Gylfi was man of the match. If was shite 

The attitude of Niels and Gordon were the only pluses for me.  Both have a future if they steer clear of half the lads they played alongside. 

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

do people think gordon is a CF?  he is so weak an weighs 75 pounds wet.

Who said he's a centre forward?

By the way ... For his size he managed to do far more with his stature than Moise who spent half his time getting pushed on the floor.

Gordon is a bright bright talent.  Two shots that hit the post were excellent efforts. 

do people think gordon is a CF?  he is so weak an weighs 75 pounds wet.

No, not a CF, he’s either a winger or attacking mid, he certainly needs to bulk up, take a look at how DCL has changed his shape over the past three seasons, I remember seeing him take his shirt off at the end of a game a couple of seasons ago and his was very toned with six pack etc, but now he is much bulkier making him a real handful for defenders, Anthony doesn’t need to bulk us as much but does need to fill out and become stronger IMO.

1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

No, not a CF, he’s either a winger or attacking mid, he certainly needs to bulk up, take a look at how DCL has changed his shape over the past three seasons, I remember seeing him take his shirt off at the end of a game a couple of seasons ago and his was very toned with six pack etc, but now he is much bulkier making him a real handful for defenders, Anthony doesn’t need to bulk us as much but does need to fill out and become stronger IMO.

He turned 19 this year... He's barely stopped growing never mind putting on muscle. 

Phil Foden is a similar build. ...  Football ability can carry some smaller players far

OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) Tweeted:
32 - Everton had 32 shots against Salford, the most attempts they've had in a game since February 2016 against West Brom (33); 19-year-old Anthony Gordon had eight of those, the most by an Everton player since Kevin Mirallas in April 2017 vs Burnley. Peppered. #CarabaoCup https://t.co/2GdPikHqSB https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1306340875732160513?s=20

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Lads ... Just wanna remind you.   We played a dogshit level of football against a side consisting of players who were released from clubs at 14 and played for sides like Rhyl last year..... So I'm finding it difficult to say Tom Davies played well or that Gylfi was man of the match. If was shite 

The attitude of Niels and Gordon were the only pluses for me.  Both have a future if they steer clear of half the lads they played alongside. 

There is no doubt that the performances we saw have to be compared to the quality of the opposition and I don't think anyone here is suggesting that anyone who played yesterday should be ousting someone from the first team. You can only look at who performed on the day and who didn't. In my opinion one person didn't show up at all and had no desire to either (Walcott). 

Did Gylfi play well, yes he did. Should he have played well given who he was up against, yes he should. He controlled midfield from deep and then when he moved forward he created more chances than anyone else. I am pretty sure Carlo would have been more than happy with his performance and especially how he stepped up when he wanted to change his tactics. 

The test for Gylfi is to now go into Premier league games and show that level of quality. I won't be counting my chickens.

We won the game convincingly controlled it from the start to the end as we should have expected to, so to get over excited about the performances is slightly over the top they only did what what was expected of them against a very poor team, anything less would have been pretty embarrassing in my view. 
Some of the comments surrounding certain players on how well they played against opponents who never tested them in anyway shape or form, in my view are OTT, unless of course you genuinely thought we would be up against it.