IGNORED

Salford City (cup) Wednesday 16/9/20

Btay

2 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Spoken like a true Evertonian haha!

Admittedly I don't follow Salford but strange that Darron Gibson has only come onto the pitch with around 15 minutes to go. I would have thought that his experience might have been a handy tool and expected to see him from the start - quite fall from grace since leaving Everton; Sunderland to Wigan to Salford's bench. Shame.

"I was born this way"

-Lady Gaga

It is pretty strange, I didn't even realize he was there. Definitely a huge fall. Hope he's doing better though. 

1 minute ago, chicagoblue said:

Good job Gylfi as captain to give that to Kean and calmly dispatched.  Still, would've taken the earlier header over that.

Genuinely thought that he had tripped over his own feet when he did that weird jump, never felt me heart higher in my mouth before - made up that he's scored although like you, I'd much rather he scored with his header as opposed to smashing it against the post.

Wish this post would fuck off like, Gordon just smashed it again. Could have been about 17-0 this now.

31 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Get out of here. He's gonna be awful next game. 

Think the fact that Carlo hasn't made a single change, even when comfortable shows that none of the players on the pitch today will be playing a good chunk of the West Brom game (except Digne of course). We'll probably see Gylfi around 70 minutes when the game is hopefully wrapped up.

Edit: Forgot Michael Keane.

3 goals to their 0, 15 shots to their 6, 8 on target to their 1 and 71% possession but apparently that wasn't comfortable... Easiest game we'll see all season with a B Team and sitting in first gear. The second goal came a bit later than I would have liked in a perfect world but as I said on the first page of this thread, I'd much rather a nice easy first gear win than a 6-0 demolition that fatigues the players for the weekend. 

Sure, one or two players are clearly not part of the European Masterplan for the future but they beat what was in front of them and that's all we can ask for - an unchanged side against Fleetwood knocks them out IMO, probably with first gear still engaged too. 

Gylfi MOTM, remove the cringeworthy agenda against him and you'll see he did well tonight. 1 goal, 1 assist and put in a phenomenal cross that Kean should have scored, ticked every box for me.

11 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Positive from the game:- we can see who the negative forces are in the squad.

Anthony Gordon is a star in the making, Niels is a great option at left back. 

I agree Haf - not much else to take from this game other than Theo is shite and youngsters (mainly Gordon, Niels) look very promising.  Bernard, Suggy & Davies still useful although expensive on the wages for what they deliver!

Keane I thought was MoM tonight. Virginia a surprise and did everything he needed to do too.

I dont think we need to worry about either FB position or the LW position for reinforcement.

What is a must is a true RW, followed by a CB - both purchases in my mind!

Am I the only one that thought, outside the last 20 minutes and a nice ball for the first assist, Gylfi was fairly poor today? The whole midfield 3 were.  Just far too negative when getting on the ball out of the back and then anywhere through the middle.  All the industry was via the CBs or down the wings.

Keane, Nkounkou, or Gordon best for mine.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

1-0 is not comfortable by any stretch to a lower tier team. Especially when our goal has come from a corner.

Young Lb is looking very very good, great bit of business from brands.

Gordon is following Richarlisons steps as the LF who can cut in, looking very dangerous.

Bernard and Davies are trying to get on the ball and make things happen. Seems like Sigurdsson only wants the ball when it’s a corner/free kick.

Kean - struggling.

Keane - changing my opinion on him. Assured and looking like a leader.

I don’t think Keane is ever gonna be a world beater but he’s looking like he’s settled in as a good, solid premier league CB. 

Positives:

Nkounkou looks very good going forward. Lightning pace and quick tricky feet. 

Gordon had a really good game and was very unlucky not to have a goal. You could see how much he wants to score. Seems to be progressing well albeit a good performance against a lower league team. 

Bernard looked good in glimpses although still cant seem to do the simple things. 

Negatives:

The squad clearly lacks quality in depth. For 20 minutes or we allowed Salford to get into the game and if they showed more attacking intent they could have turned it on its head.

Moise Kean had an awful game. Clearly either doesn't want to be here or isnt good enough, which one that is I'm not sure. If Dom gets injured this season we do not seem to have adequate cover for him. 

Tom Davies although showed a couple of nice touches reinforced opinion on his lack of ability. If he just scrapes through on being a Premier League player on technical ability and determination his decision making stomps all over it, it's truly awful and it is my opinion that he will not make it at this level because of that. 

Theo Walcott. Another player who lacks adequate decision making. Im tired of watching him burst into space in the penalty area and try to score from a tight angle with players waiting for the cut back. If Nkounkou is able to play further forward I wouldn't mind letting him go this summer and allowing him to play that role - providing Carlo has, seen enough of him to know he would be effective there. 

All in all a job done and a win to progress. The second team line up worked and we can play on Saturday with fresh legs. 

23 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Think the fact that Carlo hasn't made a single change, even when comfortable shows that none of the players on the pitch today will be playing a good chunk of the West Brom game (except Digne of course). We'll probably see Gylfi around 70 minutes when the game is hopefully wrapped up.

And Keane 

It was a game where I always thought we were comfortable but at the same time it was frustrating in that middle part of the match. First half we took our foot off the gas after a lively start and became too negative and then second half the effort was there but the application wasn't until that second goal went in and then we really cruised home.

Virginia had nothing to do, and weirdly he probably ends up a little disappointed that he didn't have to make a save and impress the boss!

All centre backs were very solid. A couple of moments second half where Keane and Digne went walkies as Digne forgot he was playing centre back but that is being extremely picky.

Kenny is probably disappointed he didn't see more of the ball. He probably hopes that he gets to play with someone else in front of him next time.

Nkounkou looks like a star in the making. Strong, quick, great feet and great timing of the pass. The timing and weight of the ball to Gordon for the 2nd shouldn't be underestimated because plenty others get that wrong. If Walcott had bust a gut he could have had an assist too. Really impressed.

In midfield I though Gylfi was putting on an exhibition. His passing was quick and crisp and defensively he was spot on. In the first half he was deeper and wasn't expected to do anything exciting but second half when he switched with Davies, he created several chances, scored one and hit the post. My Motm.

Bernard was also excellent throughout. Great energy, some sloppiness here and there but on the whole he was another to keep us ticking over and throwing in a bit of quality here and there. Unlucky not to score too. 

Davies definitely had his moments and he looked miles better when he turned and got his head up. Quality is thr issue with him and it showed along with his lack of physicality.

Out wide, I'm not going to waste too much time on Walcott. He was shite and shouldn't be on the bench. 

Gordon started lively enough, went through a period of almost a lack of belief and then as soon as he slipped that ball to Siggy, which was probably the hardest ball he had to play all game, he then went up another gear and finished with a real flourish. He needed to because it was clear that he could from the first 10-15 minutes and credit to him for getting there in the end whereas the twat on the other wing was completely disinterested. 

Kean to his credit played very well in the second half. Yes he should have scored the header but his contribution to the team was loads better and credit to whoever it was who told him to sort himself out at half time. He stopped over-playing and he did the simple things well. 

A couple of mentions should go to the management team as well. Sorting out Keans head for one and also for the switching of Davies and Siggy. Not to mention our 2nd set piece goal of the season.

On to the next one!

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i would love to see the same lineup as sunday but with gylfi in the gomes spot.  i think having allan and doucoure would show his true qualities and allow him to link up and thread through balls.  i hope to see it sometime this season.  

I really don’t see the Gylfi accolades. He crosses well at times and put his goal away well but some of his short passing today was poor. He was still very negative against a league 2 side. His first move is almost always to look at going backwards. He does do a lot of pointing though. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Gordon started lively enough, went through a period of almost a lack of belief and then as soon as he slipped that ball to Siggy, which was probably the hardest ball he had to play all game, he then went up another gear and finished with a real flourish. He needed to because it was clear that he could from the first 10-15 minutes and credit to him for getting there in the end whereas the twat on the other wing was completely disinterested. 

Gordon should have done better, we targeted their right back as he was clearly their weak link yet Gordon's end product let him down. He'll not be happy with that performance, and he'll not have an easier game in his career. 

Really don't see what Davies done wrong to ignite his moaners. He played better than the captain of Iceland and a Brazilian international who are both more experienced yet less stick. On Bernard, given the opposition I'd expect an exhibition from him, he was really disappointing today, half arsed or in two minds what to do. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Gordon should have done better, we targeted their right back as he was clearly their weak link yet Gordon's end product let him down. He'll not be happy with that performance, and he'll not have an easier game in his career. 

Really don't see what Davies done wrong to ignite his moaners. He played better than the captain of Iceland and a Brazilian international who are both more experienced yet less stick. On Bernard, given the opposition I'd expect an exhibition from him, he was really disappointing today, half arsed or in two minds what to do. 

i'll agree with you on davies, i also thought he had a good match.  when he was the DM he was intercepting and pressing like a madman, when he was the more forward CM i thought he played some nice passes.  i'd give him a 6/7 out of 10.  i honestly believe he has become the new ross barkley where he can't do any right for most fans.  sadly i fear gordon will be next.  do we really need to eat our young?