IGNORED

Brighton (Home) Saturday October 3rd

markjazzbassist

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Because he had all the time in the world to stop Bissouma shooting and he let him do it? I would be raging at a team mate in 5 a side for doing that, let alone a 100k a week player trying to get back in the side.

Not the hardest thing to work out. 

Genuine question, no need to get cunty. All I saw was a quality chest down and an even better strike. Looked unstoppable.

I am on the drunk side of sober, but what pleased me today is that we beat Brighton in two different ways.

The first half we dominated the ball and the play, and toyed with them basically. Got our goals and thoroughly deserved them. Second half we sat off the play a bit, let them fuck about with the ball and either waited for a mistake or forced one and then broke on them and punished them with even more goals.

That is the sign of a very good team when you have more than one way of getting the job done.

1 minute ago, Cisk said:

What I'm liking currently is the feeling that we will score another before the end of the game - I dont see many 0-0 games for us this season 

Yep, I was pissed off about the equaliser but I felt we had more goals in us to win the game. That's a huge difference from last season.

9 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Pickford was clearly told to punch any of the balls that were coming into the box as opposed to catching them. He was getting rid of every single one in the second half. I wouldn't mind if he was getting it out of the way but a lot of his punches played us right into trouble. A monumental car crash performance in every sense of the word, I'm clutching at straws but hopefully a chance of scenery with England gets his head back in the game as he's been on a declining slope with us for a while now. 

Clearly told? That’s some real inside info. He punches because he has no fucking clue how to catch, which as we learned today includes 2mph loopers. He’s changed scenery with England what a dozen times now? Hasn’t helped yet

8 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

You think? Curious what more you’d need to see to stop thinking about it. I’ve been wrong on many players before but Pickford is not one of them. He is not and will never be good enough for this club. 

The frustrating part with Pickford is that two seasons ago he was very good, in my opinion. As with a lot of athletes it seems he’s slipped after reaching a certain level. I have a lot more respect for a guy who just isn’t good enough than one who has the ability but lacks the motivation/focus/whatever. 

I was nervous for this match as BHA had been pretty solid and it looked to be the type of match Everton have done a good job blowing for the past several years. But I am growing in confidence that Carlo won't let that sort of let down happen and our quality will shine though. How great was James? And Dacoure was everywhere! (I thought he was poor against Palace but credit to him for putting that behind him.)

Pickford remains a problem. It's probably been said but I wonder if Moshiri, seeing 7 out of 7, will splash some cash for a new keeper. Just an average keeper will be a large improvement. 

A couple of other quick thoughts:

- I thought Gylfi was good to very good today. I've been critical of him so good to see him play well.

- Mina was immense, especially in the last 20 minutes or so where we looked like we took our foot off the gas.

- DCL, man, he's playing well. Here's hoping it continues!

Honestly, we're still a work in progress with significant room for improvement. Given that we're unbeaten and currently at the top of the league, though, I can't wait to see our form come around January.

I was quite excited early on, maybe in the fifth or sixth minute. Brighton had the ball close to our penalty area. We won it back and played five or six slick, short passes that made me rather nervous but worked out. Within a few seconds, we were racing up the right wing drawing a yellow card on their player. It was fantastic stuff and something we couldn't have even dreamed of last season. The more time goes by and the more the same core players take to the field, the more brilliant this approach will become. It's great to watch, very effective, and leads to fast counters.

On the positive side, Mina was incredible - easily MotM. Yes, he scored and contributed to a second, but his defence in the second half was dominant. Of the two Colombians, he was the more impressive today, and that's saying something. Doucoure had a great game, stepping up in the absence of Allan. James made his mark and made his two goals look easy, but he tired early. Thank goodness for the international break. I thought Davies did well today, although clearly second-string to our usual starters.

On the negative side, I was not impressed with Sigurdsson (despite reading mostly positive comments above). He just doesn't have presence or urgency, and that's obvious in the new setup. Delph was terrible, I thought - out of position too often and making poor choices. Iwobi was hit and miss, and we should be demanding more than that. Walcott demonstrated why he's not good enough for our team. And Pickford is going through a raw patch. He's not a bad keeper at all, but his awful punches today could have cost us two more goals. Dropping the ball for the first goal was the result of poor decision-making; he should have simply pushed the ball over the goal for a corner. I made clear in the summer that I'd trade him for Dean Henderson, but it's too late for that now. We have little option but to help him through his difficulties. Do we need better coaching in this area?

Yes, it was a good result. Yes, Brighton are strong enough to finish in the top ten this season. No, we're not playing as well as we could be. The absence of controlling influence of Allan in midfield and the energy and trickery of Richarlison up-front are essential to our longer-term success, and I really hope they're both available in time for the derby game. Once we're back to full strength, we can handily beat the Reds. If they're still out, we'll lose out again.

6 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Clearly told? That’s some real inside info. He punches because he has no fucking clue how to catch, which as we learned today includes 2mph loopers. He’s changed scenery with England what a dozen times now? Hasn’t helped yet

With an understanding of the game yes, it's quite clear that's what he had been told. He didn't catch a single ball until past the 80th minute, as when he tried to do it in the first half he fucked up and cost the team a goal. Not hard to work out that he's probably been told by Kelly to punch whatever comes his way and get rid (especially in the conditions). I'm not saying that I'm happy with it as whenever he punched he did poorly and put is in trouble, but it was a conscious decision that's probably been agreed in the dressing room.

Having played as a goalkeeper for pretty much the entirety of my Youth career I'd do the exact same; get rid of what comes near you (safely of course) and reset in training the next day. 

The team generally looks better than I could have hoped.  

The new signings has put appropriate pressure on players who were not giving enough of themselves... Gylfi, Gomes, Delph, Mina (concentration)... With Davies it has put him where he needed to be at the start - a young player who is there to learn - not cover the arses of lazy bastard's. 

The players we have bought in are clear cut first names on the sheet. James, Doucouré, Allan..... Top top quality.   They are bringing the best out of Richarlison and DCL, they are helping the centre halves to be more reliable....

With regards the keeper we are at the situation where the old saying "don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar"..... We have players now who are close to being a team of winners.  I don't see the keeper enabling that. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The team generally looks better than I could have hoped.  

The new signings has put appropriate pressure on players who were not giving enough of themselves... Gylfi, Gomes, Delph, Mina (concentration)... With Davies it has put him where he needed to be at the start - a young player who is there to learn - not cover the arses of lazy bastard's. 

The players we have bought in are clear cut first names on the sheet. James, Doucouré, Allan..... Top top quality.   They are bringing the best out of Richarlison and DCL, they are helping the centre halves to be more reliable....

With regards the keeper we are at the situation where the old saying "don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar"..... We have players now who are close to being a team of winners.  I don't see the keeper enabling that. 

To think we were debating which of the relegated players would help and talking about Zaha like it would be a dream or something.  FFS we were too small minded, we got world class players and it’s transformed us.  Granted it’s all down to carlo but credit to brands moshiri bill for getting him.  He was headed on holiday to Vancouver when we got him.   What a difference it has made.  Wow.  MentAlity, work rate, tactics, we finally have a top manager.

On 03/10/2020 at 17:12, Hafnia said:

I play golf in gloves that get tackier when it rains, I'd imagine keepers gloves are the same.  His command is non existent.

You can get different types of gloves for the conditions too. If the gloves become 'waterlogged' then grip will be poor but my experience is that mainly comes with old gloves covered in mud. He would have had brand new gloves, changed at half time and I suspect he would have had a choice to wear the wet weather type that you can get. I would expect he has options in the same way players have options with their footwear for the different conditions. 

21 hours ago, pete0 said:

Genuine question, no need to get cunty. All I saw was a quality chest down and an even better strike. Looked unstoppable.

Cunty? I apologise if I hurt your feelings but it looked obvious to me!

7 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

With an understanding of the game yes, it's quite clear that's what he had been told. He didn't catch a single ball until past the 80th minute, as when he tried to do it in the first half he fucked up and cost the team a goal. Not hard to work out that he's probably been told by Kelly to punch whatever comes his way and get rid (especially in the conditions). I'm not saying that I'm happy with it as whenever he punched he did poorly and put is in trouble, but it was a conscious decision that's probably been agreed in the dressing room.

Having played as a goalkeeper for pretty much the entirety of my Youth career I'd do the exact same; get rid of what comes near you (safely of course) and reset in training the next day. 

I would agree with you on the instruction.

I don't agree with that instruction though, a top class keeper should be able to weigh up the conditions and make a decision based on the merits. You wouldn't do something similar with an outfield player. 

My concern with Pickford and with any goalkeeper in truth is that it is hard to stop the mistakes. Keepers are always under the spotlight and even small mistakes cost goals. Whilst it is a team sport, a goalkeeper can very much be an individual game and that has its own mental pressure. You wouldn't see a golfer on tour without some psychological professional as part of their team. It should be the same for a goalkeeper in my opinion because dealing with mistakes is probably the hardest part of the job. 

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You can get different types of gloves for the conditions too. If the gloves become 'waterlogged' then grip will be poor but my experience is that mainly comes with old gloves covered in mud. He would have had brand new gloves, changed at half time and I suspect he would have had a choice to wear the wet weather type that you can get. I would expect he has options in the same way players have options with their footwear for the different conditions. 

Cunty? I apologise if I hurt your feelings but it looked obvious to me!

I would agree with you on the instruction.

I don't agree with that instruction though, a top class keeper should be able to weigh up the conditions and make a decision based on the merits. You wouldn't do something similar with an outfield player. 

My concern with Pickford and with any goalkeeper in truth is that it is hard to stop the mistakes. Keepers are always under the spotlight and even small mistakes cost goals. Whilst it is a team sport, a goalkeeper can very much be an individual game and that has its own mental pressure. You wouldn't see a golfer on tour without some psychological professional as part of their team. It should be the same for a goalkeeper in my opinion because dealing with mistakes is probably the hardest part of the job. 

Most people who played the game particularly professionally, say keepers are a different breed. 

57 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Most people who played the game particularly professionally, say keepers are a different breed. 

I think they are and that's why the fall from grace can be hard. In some ways there is a macho confidence in keepers. If you start doubting yourself in general its not good for your game but in goal its likely to cost points. Its worse if you have such a high opinion of yourself to start with. 

A lot of people weren't happy with how he reacted to mistakes in previous seasons but that was his coping mechanism, rightly or wrongly. That has gone now and to me it doesnt look like he knows what to do for the best.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think they are and that's why the fall from grace can be hard. In some ways there is a macho confidence in keepers. If you start doubting yourself in general its not good for your game but in goal its likely to cost points. Its worse if you have such a high opinion of yourself to start with. 

A lot of people weren't happy with how he reacted to mistakes in previous seasons but that was his coping mechanism, rightly or wrongly. That has gone now and to me it doesnt look like he knows what to do for the best.

As I read this Adrian has just gifted Villa the lead, mistakes happen but when it’s keepers they are magnified. 

On 04/10/2020 at 19:24, Palfy said:

As I read this Adrian has just gifted Villa the lead, mistakes happen but when it’s keepers they are magnified. 

I dunno, Gana gets caught in possession 12 minutes before they score a goal and he needs hanging!

Pickford drops the ball at someone’s feet on the goal line, and we’re over reacting 😳

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I dunno, Gana gets caught in possession 12 minutes before they score a goal and he needs hanging!

Pickford drops the ball at someone’s feet on the goal line, and we’re over reacting 😳

Gana was given a reprieve from his hanging and cast out for his crimes to football, and Everton went to the top of the league with Pickford in goal and we all live happily after, well at least you would think so. 
But unfortunately in this fairytale the Hob goblins will never be happy 😃