IGNORED

Brighton (Home) Saturday October 3rd

markjazzbassist

If we want European football we have to beat the teams below us.  3 points a must here.  They played well against United so we must will need goals.  Same lineup.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Allan Doucoure

James Gomes Richarlison

DCL

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

United are terrible we will destroy them too.  Class of 92 left years ago, they are a mid table side.

Utd haven’t played well but don’t be naive in thinking they’re terrible! Brighton have been superb in the games I’ve seen them and I think this will be our toughest test to date. They hit the woodwork 5 times against Utd outplayed them and gave away a stupid pen in Fergie time. 

3 minutes ago, barryj said:

Utd haven’t played well but don’t be naive in thinking they’re terrible! Brighton have been superb in the games I’ve seen them and I think this will be our toughest test to date. They hit the woodwork 5 times against Utd outplayed them and gave away a stupid pen in Fergie time. 

I don’t rate ole I don’t rate any of them.   We should beat them twice.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

This will be our toughest test to date, Brighton are well drilled in there setup they aren’t full big names yet should have punished Utd who are, I wouldn’t for one minute dismiss them because you believe Utd are poor.

Brighton are a team who can play a bit this is going to be a hard one to call. 

I agree with this. It will be a very different test to Palace in that Palace were a tough unit to break down and threatened to get at us on the counter whereas Brighton will go toe to toe with us. We will get chances but I expect them to get them too. Whoever finishes their chances wins the game... like most games! 😂

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree with this. It will be a very different test to Palace in that Palace were a tough unit to break down and threatened to get at us on the counter whereas Brighton will go toe to toe with us. We will get chances but I expect them to get them too. Whoever finishes their chances wins the game... like most games! 😂

We haven't got a chance then with dom missing all those sitters! 

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I don’t rate ole I don’t rate any of them.   We should beat them twice.

Don’t rate any of them? I’ve the most blue tinted glasses but you can’t say they don’t have quality. Finished top four last season and some great players. I might be wrong but I think we’ve only done the league double over them once in about 30 years. 

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Don’t rate any of them? I’ve the most blue tinted glasses but you can’t say they don’t have quality. Finished top four last season and some great players. I might be wrong but I think we’ve only done the league double over them once in about 30 years. 

i think there is an inherent bias to man united in england, i get it, they are the biggest club with the most honors, but because of that they are always given the benefit of the doubt and extra hype.  being that i'm american and newer to football (2006) i don't have that bias because they won all that stuff before i started to seriously follow the league.  every year Man U is considered a title contender, whether or not they are good.  they are not good this year.  they have a bunch of young players and overrated players (pogba, martial, their whole backline bar wan-bissaka) and honestly i just don't think Ole is a good manager.  they continue to get a lot of calls their way, and lots of penalties.  which helps them.  but i don't think they are a good football side.  maybe i'm ignorant but i don't have the respect you all have with them.  that's why for me it should be 2 wins.  we can beat spurs away why not united?

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

This will be our toughest test to date, Brighton are well drilled in there setup they aren’t full big names yet should have punished Utd who are, I wouldn’t for one minute dismiss them because you believe Utd are poor.

Brighton are a team who can play a bit this is going to be a hard one to call. 

The likes of City, Spurs & United are not upto speed while there's some "lower" teams showing some real ability and desire to play good football. Theres going to be some points dropped by teams chasing that top 6 spot this year and if we can keep winning while they struggle, it could be the difference end of season.

23 minutes ago, Btay said:

Mark, my man, confidence becomes arrogance very quickly. If we take this attitude as a club we will lose more than we win. Whilst they may not be the powerhouse the once were - they still pose a threat with some world class players.

Brighton - decent team, by no means is this a turn up and get 3 points. We will need to win the midfield here and earn the right. I think id actually like to see Gomes against West Ham and Bernard come into the more advanced central position in midfield. He has created loads in the cup games and we could use his creativity here. Good to have some options however.

totally in agreement, i don't think it's a given 3 points, i'm just saying we should go into any match with united with no fear and an expectation that 3 points is there for the taking if we play our game.  whereas previous years/regimes it seemed we went in praying for a draw.  with a side like liverpool i'm fine with getting a draw, you can't win them all, and honestly that's a good result.  but united i don't class in the same league as the shite.  

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think there is an inherent bias to man united in england, i get it, they are the biggest club with the most honors, but because of that they are always given the benefit of the doubt and extra hype.  being that i'm american and newer to football (2006) i don't have that bias because they won all that stuff before i started to seriously follow the league.  every year Man U is considered a title contender, whether or not they are good.  they are not good this year.  they have a bunch of young players and overrated players (pogba, martial, their whole backline bar wan-bissaka) and honestly i just don't think Ole is a good manager.  they continue to get a lot of calls their way, and lots of penalties.  which helps them.  but i don't think they are a good football side.  maybe i'm ignorant but i don't have the respect you all have with them.  that's why for me it should be 2 wins.  we can beat spurs away why not united?

Man Utd have through the Fergie years been the most hated team in the league by football supporters in this country, having said that opposition supporters have respect for what they have achieved in the game if only through gritted teeth. 
They are not the force they were granted but they still have the players to beat any team in the league and win trophies, not to be dismissed or disrespected as has beens. 

I know this probably isn't the thread but the problem United have is balance. The centre backs aren't a great pair, the midfield now has too many options that will want to start (Pogba, Fernandes, VDB, McTominay, Matic, Fred) and up front they have talented players that aren't exactly naturals in their position (yet). I'm unconvinced by Martial but he can be an exquisite finisher, Rashford can score a rocket or miss a sitter but isn't a winger or a sole striker, Greenwood is extremely talented but he also isn't a winger and probably isn't a single striker yet either. They might even be better off starting with Ighalo and playing the other two off him.

I really expected them to come out firing this season given how well they finished in the league but it looks like they have a bit of a hangover from the Europa League loss and the misdemeanors this summer from McGuire and Greenwood.

As for Ole, I think he is probably better than I expected. At first he was getting lots of plaudits but the fall was coming as it was clear they were only a counter attacking team and offered little else. He then showed that he could get the right players in with Fernandes being an instant hit and adding the creativity they needed to beat the plucky clubs at the bottom of the league. I thought at the end of last season he started to show that he was getting a bit too clever for himself, especially with that team he put out in the FA Cup semi against Chelsea.

Whatever you think of them, they are certainly a team that can beat anyone in this league, the question like it is with most sides that aren't Liverpool, is whether they can do it consistently.

Generally a big fan of keeping the formation/shape the same throughout a season. We don't have a like for like with Richy so I'm struggling here. Could be James, Iwobi or Bernard. Ultimately went for James. Since he played midweek we could save some of his legs and reduce his need to track back. Assumed Allan is out as well. Delph best solution here despite my dislike - to his credit he played very well against West Ham. 

Pickford

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Iwobi Delph Doucoure Gomes

James DCL

14 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Generally a big fan of keeping the formation/shape the same throughout a season. We don't have a like for like with Richy so I'm struggling here. Could be James, Iwobi or Bernard. Ultimately went for James. Since he played midweek we could save some of his legs and reduce his need to track back. Assumed Allan is out as well. Delph best solution here despite my dislike - to his credit he played very well against West Ham. 

Pickford

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Iwobi Delph Doucoure Gomes

James DCL

I’d rather that be a 4231 / 4141 with Bernard for Iwobi, but agree. Delph, saying through gritted teeth, deserves the start after the last game since Allan is probably out. 

55 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Can Delph play two consecutive games in 3 days? I was pleasantly surprised with him last night, maybe he’s seen the standard we’re at and what he needs to do to get a game, bloody hope so after last seasons shit shows he gave.

He had much more of a Barry role; just fill in the gaps and put your foot in when needed. He had no pressure at all which meant he made few mistakes 

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Can Delph play two consecutive games in 3 days? I was pleasantly surprised with him last night, maybe he’s seen the standard we’re at and what he needs to do to get a game, bloody hope so after last seasons shit shows he gave.

Delph has just realised that actually Everton FC are worth playing for.