IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Gwlad all over said:

Get what you are saying Mark but at the moment we are between a rock and anad a hrd place and time is ticking on towards the new season and we have nothing in place. 

I hope we have something in place for the next one because this is going to end in tears. I'm genuinely scared about how badly this is going to go and I await our transfer business in this window with a fair bit of trepidation. I actually think it's going to make me even more anxious.

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Thank you for sharing. That was a very interesting read. I didn't realize that Liverpool had a relatively tight budget during Rafa's tenure. I actually feel like he did well when you factor in the fees. One or two big misses but everyone has those, and yes he missed on a ton of the 'cheap' signings but that is true for every manager/club. His transfer record certainly doesn't scare me away from him becoming our manager. 

Never ever ever the managers fault for the wages being paid to players. That is down entirely to the club hierarchy. In our case I trust Brands to hold serve and keep wages in check. As he did with all the players Carlo wanted. 

He didn't have a tight budget as far as I am aware. I have checked his first three years on transfarmarkt and they spent quite a lot. Generally he seemed to buy quite a lot of very average players and one decent one. 

When a manager is key to signing players like he was at Newcastle, identifying players wages is equally as important. Picking players to sign that riddles the club with debt is the Harry Redknapp way!

Obviously that will be different here with Brands.

46 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And so begins what will, I believe, be another shit chapter in our history. Hopefully it's one that doesn't last very long so I can feel connected to my club again.

I'll be spending the time he's here backing and supporting the team but I won't be backing or supporting him as the manager and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. I didn't for the gravy guzzler either and this appointment is just as bad, if not worse, for me.

This for me too. I can support the club without supporting the manager. Might seem petty to some but it’s the connection, like you said Mark, it feels like it’s missing for me now. I felt the same when Sam was in charge too, and just wanted him to not be there anymore. I hope Rafa wins something as it’s been too long, but I see nothing but an unhappy mess.

Just now, StevO said:

A few things have annoyed me in the last few days, especially since the banner left in some random garden in Caldy, but one thing in particular. 
On lots of social media I’ve seen things like “real Evertonians support the club through thick and thin, so we should all be behind Rafa” and “you can’t say you support the club but not the manager” and “how can you not get behind him if you’re a real fan”. It’s really been winding me up. Like supporting the club and the manager have to be hand in hand. A lot of these same people (I don’t mean in TT but then I do follow a few TT members on Twitter) are more than happy to slate a player; Iwobi isn’t good enough, Gylfi is shit, Delph is a waste of a shirt, and the board/chairman/owner taking plenty of abuse too. Like you don’t have to back all of the players but you have to back the manager. Personally I think it’s my right as an Evertonian to disagree with things the club do and with people at the club. I won’t be putting up banners and shit like that, but I’ll support my club and I’ll still be supporting it when he’s gone, I’ll also criticise things that I don’t agree with. 
I think im done with moaning now. I’m dreading tomorrow if it’s the day. 

Good post I agree. I won’t be supporting Rafa but I hope for the best for the club.  It’s gonna be a disaster just like allardyce was.  Moshiri has wasted millions here and has fuck all to show for it.  We finally get the owner we’ve desperately needed and he pisses it away on “big name” managers (quotes cause Rafa ain’t one).  It’s really left me feeling zero enthusiasm for this upcoming year, more like dread that I’ll have to watch shit football and have it ruin countless weekends.

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

This for me too. I can support the club without supporting the manager. Might seem petty to some but it’s the connection, like you said Mark, it feels like it’s missing for me now. I felt the same when Sam was in charge too, and just wanted him to not be there anymore. I hope Rafa wins something as it’s been too long, but I see nothing but an unhappy mess.

It is a strange one to wrestle with for both of you and I understand your actions, I was just wondering what you feel about Moshiri and let’s say Usmanov, Allardyce was brought in by them he didn’t write his own contract and if Benitez arrives he won’t either.  
Do you feel the same way about them that you support the Club but can’t support them for bringing them to the club  

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

A few things have annoyed me in the last few days, especially since the banner left in some random garden in Caldy, but one thing in particular. 
On lots of social media I’ve seen things like “real Evertonians support the club through thick and thin, so we should all be behind Rafa” and “you can’t say you support the club but not the manager” and “how can you not get behind him if you’re a real fan”. It’s really been winding me up. Like supporting the club and the manager have to be hand in hand. A lot of these same people (I don’t mean in TT but then I do follow a few TT members on Twitter) are more than happy to slate a player; Iwobi isn’t good enough, Gylfi is shit, Delph is a waste of a shirt, and the board/chairman/owner taking plenty of abuse too. Like you don’t have to back all of the players but you have to back the manager. Personally I think it’s my right as an Evertonian to disagree with things the club do and with people at the club. I won’t be putting up banners and shit like that, but I’ll support my club and I’ll still be supporting it when he’s gone, I’ll also criticise things that I don’t agree with. 
I think im done with moaning now. I’m dreading tomorrow if it’s the day. 

I bet some of those same fans throwing that shite around actively wanted us to lose against City a few years ago when it would mean they'd win the league over the shite. And yet I wanted us to win that game and went apeshit when Barkley put us ahead.

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It is a strange one to wrestle with for both of you and I understand your actions, I was just wondering what you feel about Moshiri and let’s say Usmanov, Allardyce was brought in by them he didn’t write his own contract and if Benitez arrives he won’t either.  
Do you feel the same way about them that you support the Club but can’t support them for bringing them to the club  

I’ve been very supportive of Moshiri since he arrived (not going to comment on Usmanov as I’m still not fully convinced he’s running things). I didn’t agree with the Allardyce appointment but I did understand why he did it, I think he panicked and thought it was for the best. With Rafa, I don’t understand it one bit. We need unity, backs against the wall fighting spirit from the stands with us all together, and this is the one man who can’t give us that. I understand we will all disagree on our first choice, but this is too divisive. 

That said, my biggest gripe with Kenwright was that he was a fan running the club and we needed a businessman. Well now we have a businessman making business decisions. I think the next appointment will be better, I’m not sure why I think that, just a bit of blind faith and looking for light in the tunnel. 

In summary, I’m still happy we got Moshiri on board, but he has plenty to learn. Does he want to own the club or run the club? He has Denise, Sasha and Marcel to look after things. If he delivers Bramley Moore, I will forever be grateful too. As you can tell, I’m a little torn right now. And it’s all from this one appointment. 

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I bet some of those same fans throwing that shite around actively wanted us to lose against City a few years ago when it would mean they'd win the league over the shite. And yet I wanted us to win that game and went apeshit when Barkley put us ahead.

😂 I am an Evertonian first and foremost, but if it takes us losing one game to stop them winning the league? It’s a loss I can accept. 

Just now, StevO said:

😂 I am an Evertonian first and foremost, but if it takes us losing one game to stop them winning the league? It’s a loss I can accept. 

I can't ever want us to lose. If we'd won that game I'd have loved it tbh. It did mean that I wasn't as bothered as I'd normally be that we lost though :lol:

Sadly, that not being as bothered about losing games will now be a more regular thing.

Well if its Rafa ill be right behind him and the team. I just hope he gets what he needs in the window otherwise its like a lamb being led to slaughter.

I'm not so concerned about his style of play. We had Carlo playing 4Cb's at times and it was dull but we got points but hopefully we get some good football.

I’ve just spent the best part of an hour reading tweet after tweet of blues arguing about all this. So much like “fuck off, you aren’t wanted if you don’t support the club and you won’t be missed” and “me and all my friends and family want Rafa, we’re proper fans supporting our club”. It’s hard to stay away from social media when this club is a big part of your life, but it’s just so frustrating seeing fans turn on each other when all of this was so avoidable. 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

That isn't a clear comparison in my book.  It was a shit situation to be in and not wanting Liverpool to win the league was a pure "Everton love" emotion....  Of course our fans wanted champions League but at what cost??? You seen what that lot were like when they actually won it. 

A bit weird all this support the manager / not support the manager.

They are an employee of the club.... 

All this blue tinted bollocks has led to the likes of kenwright getting away with some serious bad decisions.... "Ah but Peter Johnson was really shit".... Was he???  No the biggest gripe was he was a supposed Liverpool fan. 

Some fans would have objected to signing Suarez..... Yeah did they not see him for Barca against Liverpool?  He was breaking his balls trying to get one over them.

Let's be clear it won't be too difficult to dislike benitez and turn on him if he shows Allardyce/ Martinez / Silva levels of pre sacking management ..... But if he does a good job is his Liverpool connection going to bother me?  Is it bollocks. 

12 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

A bit weird all this support the manager / not support the manager.

They are an employee of the club.... 

All this blue tinted bollocks has led to the likes of kenwright getting away with some serious bad decisions.... "Ah but Peter Johnson was really shit".... Was he???  No the biggest gripe was he was a supposed Liverpool fan. 

Some fans would have objected to signing Suarez..... Yeah did they not see him for Barca against Liverpool?  He was breaking his balls trying to get one over them.

Let's be clear it won't be too difficult to dislike benitez and turn on him if he shows Allardyce/ Martinez / Silva levels of pre sacking management ..... But if he does a good job is his Liverpool connection going to bother me?  Is it bollocks. 

Completely agree. I hope he does well because he’s the Everton manager and I want to see us win. But, I’ll just never love him and probably won’t have the same level of patience when things don’t go well. 

I wanted Ferguson as manager but am totally fine with Benitez. If he conducts himself with grace and dignity, if the quality of players he brings in is better than what we had, if performances on the pitch improve, if we see more passion, more desire, more points, more heart and nerve and sinew, if we can make a triumph of the current PR disaster, we'll be okay. Nod to Mr Kipling.

3 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The complete lack of communication from the club over the managerial search has been a big factor in fans frustrations over it all. I'm not saying we should have been making statement after statement but it's been total silence and that has meant fans have been having to go off unofficial stories. 

Even now, every fucker knows the waiter is our manager and there's been nothing and we've dragged it out. We've handled the whole process incredibly badly.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Completely agree. I hope he does well because he’s the Everton manager and I want to see us win. But, I’ll just never love him and probably won’t have the same level of patience when things don’t go well. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Howard Kendall at a sportsmans dinner .... Well when I say pleasure it was a let down.  As I was waiting for his signature I tried to explain how much the 1984/85 season left an impression on me .... "Come on get on with it" he grumbled.

Did I think less of Kendall ? Not really no, he gave us great memories.  It was just disappointing that he wasn't in the space to afford an over excited half pissed fan a minute to express his joy.

Not sure what happened to the signature - I wasn't arsed really. Just a reality bite that let me know managers are managers and fans are fans. 

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Howard Kendall at a sportsmans dinner .... Well when I say pleasure it was a let down.  As I was waiting for his signature I tried to explain how much the 1984/85 season left an impression on me .... "Come on get on with it" he grumbled.

Did I think less of Kendall ? Not really no, he gave us great memories.  It was just disappointing that he wasn't in the space to afford an over excited half pissed fan a minute to express his joy.

Not sure what happened to the signature - I wasn't arsed really. Just a reality bite that let me know managers are managers and fans are fans. 

I’ve had a few good nights in the hotel bar at the Devonshire on Edge Lane with Howard. Hun stood behind the bar (he didn’t work there) pouring drinks and leading the sing along of Everton songs. Never had a conversation with him, he was too busy having a good time. 

45 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Playing devils advocate here but what are they supposed to do, release a weekly bulletin to say this week we have interviewed managers x,y&z we fancied manager x but he told us to fuck off so now we have offered the job to manager y who is thinking about it so we will let you know once we hear something ?

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Playing devils advocate here but what are they supposed to do, release a weekly bulletin to say this week we have interviewed managers x,y&z we fancied manager x but he told us to fuck off so now we have offered the job to manager y who is thinking about it so we will let you know once we hear something ?

Sorry replied to wrong post that was meant for Romney!

17 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Already answered this in the post you didn't quote. So no, not a weekly bulletin.