IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Not really answered the question, if he hasn’t signed what are the club supposed to say?

The post makes clear I wasn't talking about just the waiter. It's been the whole process.

If you think complete and utter silence throughout the whole thing is fine then fair enough, but I don't. It's certainly made things worse in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The post makes clear I wasn't talking about just the waiter. It's been the whole process.

If you think complete and utter silence throughout the whole thing is fine then fair enough, but I don't. It's certainly made things worse in my opinion.

I don't think any club would openly discuss the process they are going through in appointing a manager and can only really come out and say anything formal once ink is on the contracts. It would be nice to be kept in the loop, but never going to happen - anywhere.

Spurs appear to be worse than us!! They sacked their manager by choice and months in advance of us loosing ours. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Neither am I just talking about him but I just fail to see what updates they should be giving , do you think we should be telling the world which managers we are speaking to , especially given Spurs & Palace are also currently in the market for a new manager?

The board have jumped the gun before and been slaughtered for it so just seems like they are in a no win position

I do however think they could have come out and condemned the anti-Rafa banners without needing to confirm whether or not we are speaking to him

39 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Neither am I just talking about him but I just fail to see what updates they should be giving , do you think we should be telling the world which managers we are speaking to , especially given Spurs & Palace are also currently in the market for a new manager?

The board have jumped the gun before and been slaughtered for it so just seems like they are in a no win position

I do however think they could have come out and condemned the anti-Rafa banners without needing to confirm whether or not we are speaking to him

I expected some sort of communication, rather than absolutely nothing. The club has improved on it's communication with the fans in recent years but I think they've let themselves down with this. Hopefully they don't completely mess up the PR campaign they're going to have to go on now once he is confirmed.

Again, you're fine with them saying nothing throughout it all and I'm not. Can we leave it there, rather than go round in circles?

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I expected some sort of communication, rather than absolutely nothing. The club has improved on it's communication with the fans in recent years but I think they've let themselves down with this. Hopefully they don't completely mess up the PR campaign they're going to have to go on now once he is confirmed.

Again, you're fine with them saying nothing throughout it all and I'm not. Can we leave it there, rather than go round in circles?

but what do you expect them to be communicating or saying before a contract is signed - other than a nothing statement like  "..we are continuing to be working behind the scenes to bring in a manager we feel will take the club forward in line with our vision.. blah blah"

Nuno set to be announced as Spurs manager, Viera as Palace's and Rafa as ours. 

At least it is done. Don't blame the club for taking their time, or keeping quiet. Negotiations don't tend to work well when carried out in public.

Not my first choice (or in top 5) but he is a manager with a similar approach as Carlo so their is continuity, he has worked at top clubs, and with top players. Has had some success, and he must really want this job to go through the shit storm this has created.

Not going to be easy for anyone who loves the club, but our PR has been pretty good so lets see how the club handle it.

I suspect we will sign quite a few players and let a few go, as he is bound to have a list of players he wants to bring in. 

Good job we have a decent start to the league as we will need to win early and keep winning to build momentum to give him a chance of getting settled with the fans.

I have a sneaky suspicion we will qualify for Europe with him.

29 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

but what do you expect them to be communicating or saying before a contract is signed - other than a nothing statement like  "..we are continuing to be working behind the scenes to bring in a manager we feel will take the club forward in line with our vision.. blah blah"

This is just an example of one occasion they could've said something.

When the rumours of the waiter surfaced, and it was apparent that there were a lot of fans extremely unhappy at the thought of him being the manager, they could've come out and explained why they were considering him - they believe in his philosophy or he blew them away with his interview, whatever. That sort of thing could have fostered trust in the process. Instead they've let everything fester and fans feel betrayed, so he's on a hiding to nothing before he's even got going. This squad isn't good enough to rescue him when it gets tough (and won't be by the end of the window either if you ask me).

No, it's not normal I suppose for a club to do that I suppose but I think the reaction from the fanbase was so strong that it warranted some form of communication on the matter.

That's the last I'm saying on it. If you want the last word Rob, Dunc, whoever, go for it but I'm done.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This is just an example of one occasion they could've said something.

When the rumours of the waiter surfaced, and it was apparent that there were a lot of fans extremely unhappy at the thought of him being the manager, they could've come out and explained why they were considering him - they believe in his philosophy or he blew them away with his interview, whatever. That sort of thing could have fostered trust in the process. Instead they've let everything fester and fans feel betrayed, so he's on a hiding to nothing before he's even got going. This squad isn't good enough to rescue him when it gets tough (and won't be by the end of the window either if you ask me).

No, it's not normal I suppose for a club to do that I suppose but I think the reaction from the fanbase was so strong that it warranted some form of communication on the matter.

That's the last I'm saying on it. If you want the last word Rob, Dunc, whoever, go for it but I'm done.

will get all this when we get the press conference today or tomorrow. They are never going to discuss these sorts of details about candidates before contracts signed, even if they wanted too in order to appease fans. It would be totally unprofessional for a start. Not going to say anymore .🤐 

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1410240527988051968?s=20

If I had to choose from Nuno, Vieira and Rafa, I'd prefer Rafa. He is a competent manager. Paddy has it all to prove, and Nuno did alright at Wolves, but hasn't that much more to his name than that.

Obviously, you have your own reasons for being less than enthused, but based on his track record, he is a competent manager.

14 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Getting a 404 error when I try the link. 

Rafael Benitez has set out his determination to bring a winning mentality and deliver success for Everton – and says the Blues’ ambition to compete with the top teams in the country was key in his desire to join the Club.

Benitez, who has won major trophies in Spain, England and Italy during a distinguished career, also promised he will “fight for Everton” after signing a three-year contract as the Club’s new manager.

The Spaniard added he is convinced he has joined a Club where foundations are in place for an exciting future, highlighting the Blues’ plans to move to a new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock and the Board’s unstinting hunger to drive Everton forward.

Speaking to evertontv in his first interview as Everton boss, Benitez said: “You can see the ambition is there. This club is growing.

“For me, it is about bringing the winning mentality, being competitive, so everything is in place on the pitch and off the pitch.

“I love the passion of the people behind the Club. I know the city, I know Scousers, I know what it means for every fan here to compete and to have the chance to win. To come to Everton is something that means a lot, for sure.

“You can see the ambition of the owner, of the Board, everybody wants to be better and to go to the new stadium with a massive boost.

“I like to compete. I like to win. I came from the academy at Real Madrid [as a young player and coach], and the winning mentality is already there.

“We [myself and my coaching staff] have won 13 titles because we have this mentality and I still want to win.

“And I have come to Everton because I liked the idea to be competitive again – and to have the chance to compete in every game, to compete against anyone.”

A renowned tactician and motivator, Benitez has described his hunger to shape an Everton side which makes supporters proud – and underlined the importance of the fans’ backing in making Goodison Park a fortress again.

“All my life has been working hard, trying to be successful, and I was lucky enough to be successful in different countries,” he added.

“I will try to do that with my experience, and the knowledge of the city, the fans and the Premier League.

“If you have very good players, it is about managing them. If you have to improve your players, you have to do that and at the same time bring some additions that will give the team more quality - but also the right mentality.

“You want players with the right character, so you can be sure everybody has the same idea to go onto the pitch to give everything. That is what the fans are expecting. We need the fans behind the team and I think they will be.”

Benitez’s managerial career includes a six-year spell at Everton’s city rivals, Liverpool FC.

Addressing comments about Everton made in 2007 when in charge of the Anfield club, Benitez explained: “I have been in Madrid, Naples, Valencia, Tenerife, Extremadura and Liverpool.

“Every single club I was there, I was fighting for them. If you analyse things in the context, what you are expecting from your manager is to fight for your club, and I will do that.

“I am here, I will fight for my club, I will try to win every single game, and it doesn’t matter who the opponents are, or the rivals. It is something you have to do, it is your nature, that you have to try to do your best.

“And why a lot of fans in a lot of these cities love me is because I was giving everything for them. If you analyse this in the context, then it is very clear I will do the same for Everton.”

Benitez confirmed Duncan Ferguson will be an important part of his backroom team.

He outlined how the legend’s deep connection with the Club – as well as his vast knowledge of the players and staff – will make him an invaluable asset.

“I think Duncan will be fundamental for us,” Benitez said. “He knows the Club, the knows the fans, he knows the mentality.

“He can work with us [the coaching staff]. We can learn from him and he can learn from us, with the experience we have in different countries and leagues.”

Benitez also discussed the relationship he will have with Director of Football Marcel Brands. He says he is looking forward to working closely with the Dutchman and revealed discussions have already taken place regarding the Blues’ summer transfer plans.

“I worked in Spain for years with a Director of Football,” Benitez said.

“Marcel is a professional. I am a professional. We will work together, we will keep talking, having meetings to talk about the Club’s idea, what we have to do in the future, about players.

“The communication between us has to be fluent and we will be talking with each other all the time. I am really pleased with that [the structure].

“I have already been in contact with him. I have the plan [for Everton’s summer transfer business].”

1 hour ago, Bill said:

When was the last time we had a manager who did last 3 years. ??

Edit .... Moyes was the last and we're up to our 10th manager since and none of them have lasted 3 years.

Who are the ten managers since Moyes?