IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

My view is that Benitez will not get us relegated and we will improve but I think he will need a strong January window, to bring in more players that suit his style of play.

There have been several posts expecting a strong January window. This just isn't going to happen. First off, nothing's changed re FFP, so the restrictions in place during the summer are in place now - unless we want to sell Pickford, Richarlison, or DC-L (the former would be the most likely option). Second, what strong player would want to join Everton right now - perceived already as relegation candidates? We're going to go after one or two bargains, and that will be it.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

There have been several posts expecting a strong January window. This just isn't going to happen. First off, nothing's changed re FFP, so the restrictions in place during the summer are in place now - unless we want to sell Pickford, Richarlison, or DC-L (the former would be the most likely option). Second, what strong player would want to join Everton right now - perceived already as relegation candidates? We're going to go after one or two bargains, and that will be it.

The one thing that has changes is Moshiri telling Jim White we will be able to strengthen in January. If we don’t he’ll make a rod for his own back. 

This is not true. We brought in Gray and Townsend, and you could argue they've been two of our strongest players. They certainly play every game. This is a bright spot for the season, finding two players at a bargain-basement price. My problem is that the other players on the team are not shining, and we see more a bunch of individuals than a well-oiled team. This is on the manager.

In this day and age in the Premier league a £1. 7m spend is basically a token sticking plaster. Benitez should actually be applauded for the over all return so far for the bargin basement additions. Grey is argubley one of our players of the season so far and one of the first names on the team sheet and Townsend has so far got a better scoring rate than many a recent winger at the club, and cost fuck all rather than +£20m, already adding more than the departed Bernard and Walcott. 

If you think Benitez or any other manager is going to get this already failing and then injury ridden squad playing as a well oiled machine in just a few month at the helm your not in the real world. It takes a few seasons to get an ordinary squad in to any sort of unit. 

When he was fit DCL was getting plenty of chances and getting the goals in and Doucoure was upping his game from last season. I thought before the injury crisis, and it has been a crisis Benitez team was looking ok. So i want to see what happens in a run off game when the injury crisis is hopefully behind us, rather than see any sort of panic sacking. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

In this day and age in the Premier league a £1. 7m spend is basically a token sticking plaster. Benitez should actually be applauded for the over all return so far for the bargin basement additions. Grey is argubley one of our players of the season so far and one of the first names on the team sheet and Townsend has so far got a better scoring rate than many a recent winger at the club, and cost fuck all rather than +£20m, already adding more than the departed Bernard and Walcott. 

If you think Benitez or any other manager is going to get this already failing and then injury ridden squad playing as a well oiled machine in just a few month at the helm your not in the real world. It takes a few seasons to get an ordinary squad in to any sort of unit. 

When he was fit DCL was getting plenty of chances and getting the goals in and Doucoure was upping his game from last season. I thought before the injury crisis, and it has been a crisis Benitez team was looking ok. So i want to see what happens in a run off game when the injury crisis is hopefully behind us, rather than see any sort of panic sacking. 

Ancelotti did it. A better example is Martinez, who reached a Europa spot in his first season without any kind of budget for new players. It can and should be done by a capable manager.

14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think a good barometer of whether relegation is something that should be spoken about is if Mike or Matt basically tell those suggesting it they're cockwombles.

They haven't so now I'm really worried 👀:lol:.

Only because its December this time and I usually wait until January to become worried. 

Cockwomble. 

No matter what manager we get in we will be in the same situation.  Even if we went for Conte in the summer instead of Benitez we would be in the same boat.  The club can't spend anymore money unless they sell.  I think FFP is a joke, it should only affect players in the European competitions.  Otherwise it is just making the "elite" clubs stay "elite".

Anyway, the manager isn't just at fault for the recent performances.  The players are showing no passion, no heart and there is so many players who think they are bigger than the club.  Team morale is at an all time low and has been for a long long time.  You can see that when players are arguing with each other instead of having each others back.

It is frustrating the way we are playing but still have to give Benitez time to try and change things.

1 hour ago, bluenosetoffee said:

Anyway, the manager isn't just at fault for the recent performances.  The players are showing no passion, no heart and there is so many players who think they are bigger than the club.  Team morale is at an all time low and has been for a long long time.  You can see that when players are arguing with each other instead of having each others back.

Rangnick makes a good point his press conference about players on nice contracts lacking motivation.

https://youtu.be/mythxDxuB2s?t=1454

13 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Ancelotti did it. A better example is Martinez, who reached a Europa spot in his first season without any kind of budget for new players. It can and should be done by a capable manager.

What did Ancelotti do better we finished 10th he had DCL all season who was out top scorer he’s missed more games for Rafa than he’s played, Ancelotti shit the bed and fucked off he new he couldn’t do anything with this team, and knowing there was no money made the decision to get out even easier, Ancelotti did fuck all Steve we played games with him in charge were we never had shot on target and only had 2-3 attempts at goal, I lied he beat Liverpool away which nobody had done in 25 years so I’ll give credit for that but nothing else. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

Martinez inherited a very good team. 

Sure did. Gonna say two things to get me in trouble. 

I fully back Rafa.

I really truly miss Moyes. We haven't had a true identity at this club since the fall/winter 2014 (Bobby's 2nd year). That's 7 rudderless f***ing years. Moyes built a solid squad that competed to the best of their ability every week. Bobby's ideas took them to new heights but like everyone else we've had since he couldn't recruit. Look at West Ham. Moyes is exactly what we need. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Sure did. Gonna say two things to get me in trouble. 

I fully back Rafa.

I really truly miss Moyes. We haven't had a true identity at this club since the fall/winter 2014 (Bobby's 2nd year). That's 7 rudderless f***ing years. Moyes built a solid squad that competed to the best of their ability every week. Bobby's ideas took them to new heights but like everyone else we've had since he couldn't recruit. Look at West Ham. Moyes is exactly what we need. 

I don’t back Rafa, but I’m not bothered if he’s sacked. Couldn’t care less either way now. 

I never wanted Moyes to return, and I don’t now. But I wish he did come back three or four years ago. We would be much more stable now. The clip of him doing the rounds on Twitter from a couple of years back sums it up. He says he doesn’t see many Everton type players in our team. He’s right. 

I hope he has the backbone to stick with us. He's been dealt a shit card and until we get the January window - and let us not forget he must have been instrumental in bringing in Gray and Townsend for peanuts- give him a chance. We have to hope there will be a couple of bargain basement players we can bring in like Andros and Demarai.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Taking the piss ?

Not at all. We achieved a Europa spot, did really well in the group stages, and were unlucky not to progress further. And this was before Moshiri came along with money to spend.

Since money arrived, we've gone steadily downhill. Why? I suspect it's because those with the money expect to have the ultimate say in all decisions and don't truly delegate. Some clubs develop well when they have cash to spend. Other clubs do poorly, and unfortunately we fall into the latter category right now.

Not at all. We achieved a Europa spot, did really well in the group stages, and were unlucky not to progress further. And this was before Moshiri came along with money to spend.

Since money arrived, we've gone steadily downhill. Why? I suspect it's because those with the money expect to have the ultimate say in all decisions and don't truly delegate. Some clubs develop well when they have cash to spend. Other clubs do poorly, and unfortunately we fall into the latter category right now.

Pound for pound Martinez probably inherited one of the best performing Everton squads that we have seen in many a year. Moyes had build that  team that punched well above its weight over many a season. How is the 'team' Martinez inherited in any way comparible to the current team that Benitez has inherited. 

Martinez inherited a relativly sucessful team to build upon, Benitez has inherited a failing team in need of a rebuild. 

Martinez job was infinatly easier than the one Benitez signed up to this summer. 

32 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Pound for pound Martinez probably inherited one of the best performing Everton squads that we have seen in many a year. Moyes had build that  team that punched well above its weight over many a season. How is the 'team' Martinez inherited in any way comparible to the current team that Benitez has inherited. 

Martinez inherited a relativly sucessful team to build upon, Benitez has inherited a failing team in need of a rebuild. 

Martinez job was infinatly easier than the one Benitez signed up to this summer. 

What I expect of a new manager is to do better than the previous manager. Martinez achieved more with the players he inherited than Moyes did. So far, Benitez hasn't come close to doing better than Ancelotti - and injuries/lack of spending, as I've said throughout, is not an excuse. Every manager faces injuries. Honestly, I just don't see any improvement this year whatsoever.

46 minutes ago, RPG said:

I think that one of the reasons that Ancelotti did a runner was because he knew the mess the club would be in due FFP rules this season. The injuries just add salt to the wound. Any manager would struggle with Everton this season - and probably next season too.

Then play the kids.  Game time to Rondon and Tosun in this situation is worthless.

22 minutes ago, RPG said:

If we put youngsters on, the game goes badly and the crowd turn against the team we will destroy the youngsters. There may come a time when we have no choice but I don't think we are quite there yet. It's time to hold our nerve.

Spot on, there’s many pictures of Anthony Gordon at the end of the last two games looking devastated by the crowds anger, the derby game there’s one idiot who ran on the pitch face to face with him. That’s the last thing a young player needs.

33 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Spot on, there’s many pictures of Anthony Gordon at the end of the last two games looking devastated by the crowds anger, the derby game there’s one idiot who ran on the pitch face to face with him. That’s the last thing a young player needs.

I left as soon as the whistle blew but I thought the lad ran on to the pitch to display his anger and Gordon actually approached him to be a peacekeeper, and then they had a fairly calm chat together and Coleman and Doucoure came over too.

The pictures of them close together certainly didn't look too bad but, like I say, I didn't see any of it myself.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's just a figurehead though and has no authority... apparently.

Still Chairman of the board of directors and is able to do it. Whether anything comes of it is a different matter.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has called an emergency board meeting, with the future of boss Rafael Benitez set to be discussed. (Mirror)

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Still Chairman of the board of directors and is able to do it. Whether anything comes of it is a different matter.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has called an emergency board meeting, with the future of boss Rafael Benitez set to be discussed. (Mirror)

I was taking the piss, Bill, because people seem to think he has no influence anymore and use that supposed fact when people say he shouldn't be at the club and him still being here is a problem.

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

What I expect of a new manager is to do better than the previous manager. Martinez achieved more with the players he inherited than Moyes did. So far, Benitez hasn't come close to doing better than Ancelotti - and injuries/lack of spending, as I've said throughout, is not an excuse. Every manager faces injuries. Honestly, I just don't see any improvement this year whatsoever.

Ridiculous - the Everton team Ancelotti left behind was diabolical, the play and in the end the results since January has been as bad as anything we have seen.

Benitez start of this season in the first 6 or 7 game was actually better than the start of last season for Ancettoti - So I call Bullshit on your statement about Benitez not coming close to Ancelloti. With a fit squad of player the team looked considerably better under Benitez in the first 7 games than it looked in the second half of last year. 

Result have gone to shit since what is an injury crisis, so actually injuries is a perfectly valid excuse. Do you really think our middle of the league squad should be just as strong when a considerable proportion of our best players are not available? 

Fact remains no matter who the manager is with a a fit squad we are basically a 7th to 11th place premier league team, you have a prolonged injury crisis to two or three of our better players and this squad is a 12th 17th place team. This is the harsh reality - at best a we have an ordinary squad of players by Premier league standards.  That's out main problem and not that we have a ex Liverpool manager at he club.

On 02/12/2021 at 23:13, Cornish Steve said:

When I say a strong window, that doesnt mean splashing millions of pounds. It means getting at least a couple more bodies into the squad that will fit the way Rafa wants to play. 

I also wouldnt be against selling a big name either. I dont think any of them are that good that they can't be replaced and maybe our need to strengthen more areas of the squad is bigger than any individual player. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

If you don't put them on, they don't develop and you destroy the youngsters. 

It's basically a sink or swim industry. Coddling them from crowds won't do them any favours either. We just need to try because what we currently have is not working. 

I get the idea about keeping kids out of the limelight when shit gets bad but like you say, its sink or swim. 

As a top flight football club you cant sit around and wait for the perfect moment for a young lad to play 15 minutes here or there. 

Benitez will clearly have a better idea than anyone but bringing Tosun on at the end of that game was a bit of a shocker. The game is gone, just let one of the young lads experience a few minutes in a derby and run his arse off and see what happens.