IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

How often do those earning a 3rd at university really excel when it comes to real life, while plenty with a 1st struggle? It's the same with training versus playing in front of a full stadium. The adrenalin kicks in and makes a huge difference.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. How will we know if we don't give them the opportunity? What is there to lose? Rondon or Iwobi or Delph not playing for 90 minutes? Tosun not coming on as a sub? Big whoop.

But if they don’t show enough in training in why would a manager who’s under pressure risk his job on them performing over someone he already trusts?

I don't think that people want the kids playing because they're kids, that is utter nonsense. The issue is that we should try something something different because doing the same things every game is not working - we've won one game in 10 for absolute fucks sake and barely scored a goal, while conceding plenty.

That something different just so happens to be younger players. And, as I've said many times, I don't have much of an issue with starting with the experienced players but when that experience isn't getting the results (like now), then you may as well throw them in and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then we haven't lost anything anyway because we're already getting beat every game. But what you will gain is maybe they will get us some results, maybe they'll then gain experience that they were lacking, we'll find out if they have anything about them.

I'm not even talking about throwing them under the bus on their own - bring Simms on to play alongside someone, play Dobbin as a wide forward rather than as a central striker.

What we're doing right now IS NOT WORKING. So what is the point in carrying on with it?

50 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't think that people want the kids playing because they're kids, that is utter nonsense. The issue is that we should try something something different because doing the same things every game is not working - we've won one game in 10 for absolute fucks sake and barely scored a goal, while conceding plenty.

That something different just so happens to be younger players. And, as I've said many times, I don't have much of an issue with starting with the experienced players but when that experience isn't getting the results (like now), then you may as well throw them in and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then we haven't lost anything anyway because we're already getting beat every game. But what you will gain is maybe they will get us some results, maybe they'll then gain experience that they were lacking, we'll find out if they have anything about them.

I'm not even talking about throwing them under the bus on their own - bring Simms on to play alongside someone, play Dobbin as a wide forward rather than as a central striker.

What we're doing right now IS NOT WORKING. So what is the point in carrying on with it?

Exactly. Maybe the crowd should start singing "it's not working, change it up" or something, rather than booing and hurling abuse?

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Someone who he already trusts that isn't performing is not a good argument mate. 

I agree. I’d love to see the kids get a run out, but I understand why a manager under so much pressure wouldn’t take the risk. He’s not the first manager to do this, I’d say most managers in this situation would do the same. 

For the record I think against Brentford he should have got Simms and Dobbin on the pitch. They should have had game time already. I just understand why he hasn’t taken that risk. He’s a very risk averse manager. Most of them are. 

On 04/12/2021 at 12:13, Bailey said:

When I say a strong window, that doesnt mean splashing millions of pounds. It means getting at least a couple more bodies into the squad that will fit the way Rafa wants to play. 

I also wouldnt be against selling a big news ame either. I dont think any of them are that good that they can't be replaced and maybe our need to strengthen more areas of the squad is bigger than any individual player. 

I get the idea about keeping kids out of the limelight when shit gets bad but like you say, its sink or swim. 

As a top flight football club you cant sit around and wait for the perfect moment for a young lad to play 15 minutes here or there. 

Benitez will clearly have a better idea than anyone but bringing Tosun on at the end of that game was a bit of a shocker. The game is gone, just let one of the young lads experience a few minutes in a derby and run his arse off and see what happens. 

I am not sure we have a big name to sell.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Got the Townsend for Gomes sub right tonight. Unlucky with the 2 offside goals to be chasing the game but ultimately we got the result.

Can’t suggest for one second the players aren’t behind him. 

That kind of passion, determination needs to be normal and not a one off.

Let’s go boys

It wasn’t just the bringing on of Gomes that he got right, it was then to push Doucoure more advanced as well.

He’s been suspect tactically for weeks and has been criticised for it, but tonight he got it spot on so he deserves to be praised. 

I really do hope Benitez does get a fair crack at the whip. When he as had a reasonable selection of senior players available he's not actually done half bad.

I am assuming the bargain basement players brought in are all Benitez's signings. So far goal and assist return for money spent has been very good - and arguably better than all the wide players we have seem in the past 5-6 years, many who have cost £20-30M.

The Gray signing has been a stroke of genius, so for this signing alone he deserves the chance to bring a few more players in to suit how he wants to player. This lad is hungry, a bona fida match winner, British, 25 years old, can carry the ball, got pace and can put in a delivery, and has a shot on him - he is every bit the £25M+ player Iwobi isn't.

I really hope in the second half of the season we are a lot luckier with injuries and we have a decent crack at seeing what our best 11-15 players can do under Benitez, maybe with a sprinkling of new additions in January.

On 05/12/2021 at 06:22, Romey 1878 said:

Leeds brought on a teenager today, and he scored against Chelsea.

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Having a wafer thin squad as it is and then two of our best players not in the match day squad because they’ve fallen out with the manager is far from whet I want us to be

His departure can’t come quick enough for me. Negative, shite football and an egomaniac to boot.

Oh wait, we’ve just given him total power at the club to do as he pleases by our moronic owner. As you were. 

He has had a free hit for me because the shit state of this squad is absolutely not his fault but he seems to have lost the dressing room and taking off Richarlison today was beyond baffling

I’m a bit torn in that we’ve all said this bunch of twats are just not good enough and should be held accountable but very alarmed that it seems to be our best players far are now carrying the can

Can't help but feel that Rafa is getting more of a chance than we've given anyone else. I didn't want him anywhere near here and I'm still not as angry at him as I should be. Like others have said, he's inherited a shit show of a team. The result of years of shambolic decision making. At the same time, he knew that when coming in so he can't use it as an excuse as such, although we can still allow it as a valid reason - the world of us as fickle fans!

However, the ice is getting very thin. He's not in a position to start looking at his favourites. Today, taking off Richarlison for Rondon with so long left of the game was poor. If anything, try something different with Richarlison as he can offer the team a lot in various roles.

Still not sure if sacking him is the answer or if its even going to happen anyway. Seems like every fucker else is getting sacked before him. 

Our squad is thin so I want him to have the January window. A couple of Demarai/Townsend signings, get rid of some dross if we can and ffs give the young players a run. If he doesn't do anything along those lines then he's finished and once again who is going to come to us?

And please, not Jose, it's a shit show at ROma by all accounts.

27 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Our squad is thin so I want him to have the January window. A couple of Demarai/Townsend signings, get rid of some dross if we can and ffs give the young players a run. If he doesn't do anything along those lines then he's finished and once again who is going to come to us?

And please, not Jose, it's a shit show at ROma by all accounts.

I'll guarantee that Brands brought in Gray and Townsend. We can thank Benitez for the chump from China.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

To be constructive (and I know plenty will disagree), but I would:

1. Give Benitez the rest of this month to achieve one more win. If not, he's out.
  2. In that scenario, give the role to Duncan Ferguson until the end of the season.
  3. Bring back Roberto - this time with a budget to spend - in the summer.

I like point 3, but not the rest.