IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

Honestly I'm so depressed at how miserable the last year has been with this club and the fact we don't have a striker, I'll take this. 

Am I thrilled by this signing? Absolutely not in the slightest. Is he a striker, and have some people have been joking (or have they?) about putting Keane up top for us? Yes. So get him in.

Maupay and we still need another striker which looks like Brereton-Diaz before we sell Gordon. If we sell Gordon, he’d need replacing too. We need multiple attacking options - yes we all want a marquee like Newcastle, West Ham or whoever but they already have attacking options and a bit of depth - we don’t so £15m each for Maupay and Brereton-Diaz makes a lot of sense to me. Calvert-Lewin is first choice but with injuries, suspensions and the 5 sub rule, all 3 will get plenty of time and hopefully plenty of goals!

10 minutes ago, Aidan said:

My guess is were buying these players to play across a front 3. I think both will have plenty of opportunity in the wide areas as well as centrally.

Diaz often plays wide for Blackburn. We need a range of attacking options as currently we have not a lot!

Not impressed with this at all, never going to run away from anyone, needs too many chances before he converts, if we have lost Charlie, hard worker fast and scores, and we are about to lose Gordon, and this is their replacement, a younger Rondon, then we have gone backwards again.

We are in the final week of the transfer market, and this is pure desperation.

2 hours ago, Tonsta said:

Not impressed with this at all, never going to run away from anyone, needs too many chances before he converts, if we have lost Charlie, hard worker fast and scores, and we are about to lose Gordon, and this is their replacement, a younger Rondon, then we have gone backwards again.

We are in the final week of the transfer market, and this is pure desperation.

The reality is - who is gettable that we should be in for?  Brereton Diaz has been looked at and for whatever reason doesn’t seem to have many suitors. 

I think we would be getting this lad as a 2nd striker and will be able to play across the front 3. 

he’s not slow at all…. Not sure where that perception is from. 

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

The amount of negativity around this transfer baffles me. It’s like some people think we’re an attractive proposition. We’re not. We’re a club that players and agent know has been run into the ground. Last season was an utter shambles and then we sold our best player. We’re shopping in Lidl because we don’t know where the nearest Waitrose is. 

If anyone watched us last season and thinks we should be buying top level talent, go and see your GP or your optician. Something isn’t right. 

This is what happens when your club is starting again from the beginning, and we have to live with it for a while. 

Spot on, we need to walk before we can run. This is the type of signing that should help us get to being a solid mid table team (footballing wise and financially wise) we need to be doing this before we have grand designs on mixing it with those in the top half of the table.

I think it's a sensible signing this summer. Has plenty of premiership experience, does score goals and is solid and a grafter out of position. isn't breaking the bank.