IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

1 wonder if we'll see him in a 352/532 when DCL is back. He's not come here to sit on the bench and he offers a very different element up top, which I'm still sure will compliment DCL greatly. At the moment though, based on the last few performances, I'm not sure who I'd drop to accommodate both which is a very pleasant headache to have. 

We do have some issues there now once players come back. Are Mina and Godfrey just riding the pine? Docoure? 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

We do have some issues there now once players come back. Are Mina and Godfrey just riding the pine? Docoure? 

For Mina, if that means the physio bench then certainly.

For the other 2, they're solid backups now. We have some decent coverage in 2 keys areas.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

1 wonder if we'll see him in a 352/532 when DCL is back. He's not come here to sit on the bench and he offers a very different element up top, which I'm still sure will compliment DCL greatly. At the moment though, based on the last few performances, I'm not sure who I'd drop to accommodate both which is a very pleasant headache to have. 

Can I pass a law that says anyone who describes forwards as being "up top" (not just on here, it's everywhere) has to describe defenders as being "at the bottom"? It's the logical progression.

Will anyone say it? No, because it's fucking stupid; as stupid as calling forwards "up top" is.

Another pill please nursey:redhairDM:

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Can I pass a law that says anyone who describes forwards as being "up top" (not just on here, it's everywhere) has to describe defenders as being "at the bottom"? It's the logical progression.

Will anyone say it? No, because it's fucking stupid; as stupid as calling forwards "up top" is.

Another pill please nursey:redhairDM:

Grumpy sod :shakingfist:

6 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Important to remember that his fitness may not be fully there (looked gassed at the end) and more important to remember he was at one place for quite a while. It will take time to learn his teammates and that will allow him to play faster. He’s a solid premier league striker that provides some things DCL doesn’t. I think he will prove to be better cover than what we’ve had in a long time. 

There are definitely reasons to expect him to improve and get sharper. 

As you have alluded to, we are a very different team than Brighton so he will need to adapt and that will take time. As a one off performance where the majority of the team played above expectation, he was one who didn't, albeit with many reasons as to why that could be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

What a finish that was as well. Quality goal from nowhere.

That’s a goal DCL doesn’t score imo. They are two sides of a coin. One needs it to his feet. Crafty and technical with a good shot and an eye for a pass. The other is a leaper, very athletic and a fox in the box but not a player who is very good with the ball at his feet. We should look into the viability of fusing two human beings for footballing purposes. 

18 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I doubt it would happen, but I'd like to see two up top when DCL is fit. The latter poaching in the box with Maupay doing all the gritty work.

Always thought DCL would be better in a front 2 where they can’t just bracket him so much, particularly with a striker like Maupay who can play a pass. No idea how that would look as far a formation though. Can’t see us going to a back 3. Maybe in a specific spot where we are chasing a game or something. 

Really please that he is off the mark. That well taken goal will give him great confidence.

I am sure if we had him in the squad from the off this season we would have chalked up a couple more wins.

If he pays in the manner during his time with us, he will have been money well spend in these days of +£50m strikers.

• 2 months later...

I think it's a bit unfair he isn't a number nine he's a Naismith type who plays off a target man not his fault we bought the wrong profile, he should be doing better but he doesn't suit our style. I still think he's a decent player our issue is he is starting when he should just be a squad player we desperately need a number nine and threat out wide.

• 4 weeks later...

It is signings like this that give me massive concerns about Lampard / Thelwell moving forward into this next window.

Dom was injured and he has barely played over the last couple of seasons so we knew we needed someone who could start plenty of games. They werent ever going to just be a sub. 

Brighton play completely differently to us. Everything we might have liked about his performances for Brighton, were never going to be replicated at Everton. 

At Brighton he needed a lot of chances to score the goals he did. He was never getting that here. 

Lampard's tactics give him no support and we are asking him to win long aimless balls which was never his skillset. 

Either Lampard told Thelwell he was going to play a different way (we did start 5 at the back) or Thelwell and his scouts didnt do enough to think about how these signings (as they are all contradictory) would fit in with eachother.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

It is signings like this that give me massive concerns about Lampard / Thelwell moving forward into this next window.

Dom was injured and he has barely played over the last couple of seasons so we knew we needed someone who could start plenty of games. They werent ever going to just be a sub. 

Brighton play completely differently to us. Everything we might have liked about his performances for Brighton, were never going to be replicated at Everton. 

At Brighton he needed a lot of chances to score the goals he did. He was never getting that here. 

Lampard's tactics give him no support and we are asking him to win long aimless balls which was never his skillset. 

Either Lampard told Thelwell he was going to play a different way (we did start 5 at the back) or Thelwell and his scouts didnt do enough to think about how these signings (as they are all contradictory) would fit in with eachother.

Thelwell couldn't have done much scouting on Maupay he wasn't even getting in the Brighton team, he was that poor and Brighton were flying without him and still are, because they found someone capable of taking the chances they had been creating something Maupay was useless at doing. But not to deter Lampard or Thelwell they decided he was good enough to come here, that in itself should tell anyone with an ounce of intelligence that they fucked up and cannot be trusted with buying the right players for this club. So I agree with you Bailey, but find you to polite when talking about Lampard Thelwell and Maupay 😡

How much scouting do they need to do? The lads been playing in the premier league every week for a few years. They should have had more than enough info on him as it is. As they should every player who’s been in the league a few years. It’s not like he’s an unknown. 
We haven’t adapted to his play at all. If the manager isn’t asking the team to play to his strengths then someone needs to stand up and challenge that. At the very least someone on the pitch should be looking to give him the ball to feet rather than crossing to him. Someone show a bit of sense on the pitch and try something different. 

35 minutes ago, StevO said:

How much scouting do they need to do? The lads been playing in the premier league every week for a few years. They should have had more than enough info on him as it is. As they should every player who’s been in the league a few years. It’s not like he’s an unknown. 
We haven’t adapted to his play at all. If the manager isn’t asking the team to play to his strengths then someone needs to stand up and challenge that. At the very least someone on the pitch should be looking to give him the ball to feet rather than crossing to him. Someone show a bit of sense on the pitch and try something different. 

You can give it to him any which way you want and it will make no difference, he's useless and just another one of many who shouldn't have been given the opportunity to come to Everton, but poor management over the last few years has dictated otherwise, and we end up with more players that we can't move on.