IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

To be fair he was shoved at just the right time there. Not really a fan of his, but thought that should have been a free kick and a yellow.

Probably right, but his first touch was poor, and then he went down too easily by the shove, a better first touch and being stronger on the ball should have given us a second.

11 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We’ve had some dreadful players recently. This fella right up there. Almost unwatchable. Horrific touch. Terribly slow. Tactically unaware. Hope he’s one season and done here. 

I don’t like him, don’t think he’s good enough, but he did put in a shift when he came on yesterday. No threat, but winning fouls, slowing the clock. 

On 30/12/2022 at 16:36, StevO said:

That first touch is a thing of nightmares! If your first touch near the centre circle goes all the way to the keeper, can you really be a footballer? 😂

No you can't is the answer, your first touch as a player is the most important part of your game. When I was working as a football in the community coach, we were told not to recommend youngsters who didn't possess a decent first touch, because without that in their locker you can't be coached if you can't keep control of the ball. 

3 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I won’t dispute his last few games have been woeful, but remember his touch and strike to get all 3 points against West Ham, hopefully we will see more of that than his recent showings.

He does have that in his locker he showed it at Brighton, problem being it very rarely comes out. 

If he hadn’t have been shoved at the last moment he would have got a touch on the ball to take it past the keeper. 
His pace isn’t as bad as being made out, he started from a standing position and got there before the defender. 
The defender was behind him and got away with a push just as he was on his standing foot.

Not many players run at the same pace with the ball as they can without. Even Mbappe gets caught up.

On 02/01/2023 at 07:10, Shukes said:

If he hadn’t have been shoved at the last moment he would have got a touch on the ball to take it past the keeper. 
His pace isn’t as bad as being made out, he started from a standing position and got there before the defender. 
The defender was behind him and got away with a push just as he was on his standing foot.

Not many players run at the same pace with the ball as they can without. Even Mbappe gets caught up.

Have you just compared Mbappe and Maupay?

• 2 months later...

I had hopes that he'd work out, since he had a habit of scoring important goals at Brighton, overlooking the fact that Brighton felt he should leave. It hasn't worked out, and that's unfortunate, but not all gambles work out - and it was a gamble. Moreover, I don't like his attitude on the field, looking to create incidents. Being a fighter is one thing, but always spoiling for a fight is something else.