IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because he took too much time. Due to a complete lack of confidence in my opinion.

It was a lovely worked opening from us as well and he should have been scoring it. It was that sort of opportunity that he was brought in for.

My point was he didn't miss, it was saved. He should've done better but it wasn't a miss. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

My understanding is it was a miss, it was a missed opportunity to score. A clear chance.   Is a toe prod straight to the keeper better than a 20 yard shot that goes an inch wide? Not for me. 

My understanding was it was a save, since the shot (as poor as it was) was on target and the keeper stopped it. I mean, that's only what actually happened but let's not focus on that and lambast the player instead.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

My understanding was it was a save, since the shot (as poor as it was) was on target and the keeper stopped it. I mean, that's only what actually happened but let's not focus on that and lambast the player instead.

Correct. Why focus on one of the things that was actually more positive than the rest of the half arsed Shite he displayed. 

in terms of being non committed, can we class that as being lazy or not giving a shit? Or both? 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Correct. Why focus on one of the things that was actually more positive than the rest of the half arsed Shite he displayed. 

in terms of being non committed, can we class that as being lazy or not giving a shit? Or both? 

Cool. 

Have fun with your new chew-toy ;)

I agree with both.

Matt is right 100% he didn’t miss. It was on target and if the keepers arm didn’t stop the ball… it’s a goal.

But it is a missed opportunity. The type that we need to be scoring. For me it was a lack of confidence, he did the right thing by raising it…. But his power was that week it gave the keeper ample opportunity to adjust for it. If he would have lifted it with a little power then that flies in before the keeper has got down.

Just now, Shukes said:

I agree with both.

Matt is right 100% he didn’t miss. It was on target and if the keepers arm didn’t stop the ball… it’s a goal.

But it is a missed opportunity. The type that we need to be scoring. For me it was a lack of confidence, he did the right thing by raising it…. But his power was that week it gave the keeper ample opportunity to adjust for it. If he would have lifted it with a little power then that flies in before the keeper has got down.

He tried to be clever in a situation he should've sided it around the keeper. I thought it was a good save to be honest, keep was out quick.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

He tried to be clever in a situation he should've sided it around the keeper. I thought it was a good save to be honest, keep was out quick.

Agreed. Keeper came out so fast and made a good save. It needed a crisp finish rather than the clever chip you’ve rightly highlighted.

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Agreed. Keeper came out so fast and made a good save. It needed a crisp finish rather than the clever chip you’ve rightly highlighted.

Exactly. It is indeed a missed opportunity but due to the keeper rather than a fluffed line. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Cool. 

Have fun with your new chew-toy ;)

Hopefully he will be lashed in the bin never to be seen in a blue shirt again. Based on the reaction to him on Saturday he’s had his last jaunt in our colours. 

I still see the obsession over the chance he missed.  Keeper hasn’t gone down but he clipped it like he had…. Either way it’s small potatoes to the absolute stroll he gave their players. 

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Well, what actually happened was Maupay hesitated after a poor first touch and allowed the defender on his left to get in a good tackle which resulted in the ball tamely hitting the keeper in the chest. 

My post wasn't lambasting the player, I was simply saying we need to convert those types of chances, and the header he missed at around the half-hour, if we expect to stay up. I would be saying the same about any other player in that position.

15 hours ago, Matt said:

15 hours ago, Shukes said:

For me, he just needed to take it earlier. But he hesitated (or didn't know the recovering defender was so close to him and thought he had more time) and that allowed the defender to make him fluff the shot which then meant the keeper had an easier time of it.

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

For me, he just needed to take it earlier. But he hesitated (or didn't know the recovering defender was so close to him and thought he had more time) and that allowed the defender to make him fluff the shot which then meant the keeper had an easier time of it.

basically it was poor striker play, whichever way we try and dress it up.  He hit it arm height when the keeper was stood up.  I just don't ever want to see him in a blue shirt again.  Not because of the miss -  because he offers absolutely nothing and doesn't care.

On 18/04/2023 at 13:30, Matt said:

Taking the still where it has been is just another example of fans going OTT against him. The shot wasn't taken from there and it couldn't have been taken from there as he had to sort his feet out and set himself. For all that I do think he could have taken it slightly earlier, it isn't a true reflection of the chance he had, and it's trying to make him look worse. He doesn't need anyone's help to do that! 🤣

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree with both.

I think the nudge from the defender was just enough to make his attempt to lift the ball that much harder. The more delicate the finish, the more a nudge like that had an impact. That is why it was more of a scuffed/weak finish that it might have been, but he also might have scuffed it anyway.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I do think he could have taken it a little earlier but I think he was just trying to make sure he had set himself for the strike, probably due to a lack of confidence. If he is in form, he probably takes the chance that little bit more instinctively which means that the defender doesn't great as much contact or the keeper doesn't get as far out etc.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Taking the still where it has been is just another example of fans going OTT against him. The shot wasn't taken from there and it couldn't have been taken from there as he had to sort his feet out and set himself. For all that I do think he could have taken it slightly earlier, it isn't a true reflection of the chance he had, and it's trying to make him look worse. He doesn't need anyone's help to do that! 🤣

I think the nudge from the defender was just enough to make his attempt to lift the ball that much harder. The more delicate the finish, the more a nudge like that had an impact. That is why it was more of a scuffed/weak finish that it might have been, but he also might have scuffed it anyway.

I do think he could have taken it a little earlier but I think he was just trying to make sure he had set himself for the strike, probably due to a lack of confidence. If he is in form, he probably takes the chance that little bit more instinctively which means that the defender doesn't great as much contact or the keeper doesn't get as far out etc.

I’m honestly scratching my head reading this. 

his biggest issue on Saturday was being a fraudster and not being arsed to actually try and win the ball. 

in terms of his goal opportunity - here is a defender who hasn’t scored a prem goal showing how it’s done from an extremely similar position…. you may find that more often than not ths likelihood of scoring is increased by going to the bottom corners. 

He can’t lead the line, full stop. He’s a poor man’s Naismith for me. If he was sitting just in behind a forward who can win knock downs or lay the ball off he could be useful. Upfront on his own though, we cannot bring him in to the game as we don’t players with enough technical ability to create space or play quick passes.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

He can’t lead the line, full stop. He’s a poor man’s Naismith for me. If he was sitting just in behind a forward who can win knock downs or lay the ball off he could be useful. Upfront on his own though, we cannot bring him in to the game as we don’t players with enough technical ability to create space or play quick passes.

He can’t score so I don’t see why he would make a second striker. Should have signed Diego Costa for all the input this lad gives 

4 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I think that’s really disrespectful towards Naismith, Maupay has shown virtually nothing so far, Naismith proved his worth, and many have commented on how we missed him when he moved on.

In no way is it disrespectful as I said he is a poor mans version. Also, I am someone who seriously rated him (both on and off the pitch)  

19 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I’m honestly scratching my head reading this. 

his biggest issue on Saturday was being a fraudster and not being arsed to actually try and win the ball. 

in terms of his goal opportunity - here is a defender who hasn’t scored a prem goal showing how it’s done from an extremely similar position…. you may find that more often than not ths likelihood of scoring is increased by going to the bottom corners. 

Have you seen who chased Paulinho into the heavy touch for Gana to win the ball back leading to McNeil's goal?

Yep exactly the same apart from the distance to the keeper, keepers positioning, the lack of pressure by the defender etc.

Fwiw though, I have already said that I don't think he should have tried lifting the ball the way he did so I agree with you on that point.

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I think that’s really disrespectful towards Naismith, Maupay has shown virtually nothing so far, Naismith proved his worth, and many have commented on how we missed him when he moved on.

Don't forget that at this stage of Naismith's career he was a complete yard dog so maybe there is hope for Maupay yet 🤣

On 20/04/2023 at 14:26, Bailey said:

Have you seen who chased Paulinho into the heavy touch for Gana to win the ball back leading to McNeil's goal?

Yep exactly the same apart from the distance to the keeper, keepers positioning, the lack of pressure by the defender etc.

Fwiw though, I have already said that I don't think he should have tried lifting the ball the way he did so I agree with you on that point.

Don't forget that at this stage of Naismith's career he was a complete yard dog so maybe there is hope for Maupay yet 🤣

No he wasnt.  From the get go he worked his arse off, some fans were against him unfairly.  Maupay is Shute.  Naismith was pushed out wide by Moyes and only when he got played as a striker did thd likes of you start giving him credit. 

16 hours ago, StevO said:

This thread is depressing. 
Whatever happened after Maupay had that shot against Fulham, there should have only been one outcome. He’s not good enough. Iwobi, Gray, McNeil probably Coleman too, they all score it. Fuck it, so does Pickford! 😂

We have a player on loan at North End that would have buried that chance.