IGNORED

Ainsley Maitland-Niles

From Sky:

Everton want to sign Ainsley Maitland-Niles on loan from Arsenal

The Toffees need a right-back and the Gunners are open to letting Maitland-Niles leave in this window.

Relations are good between the clubs following a number of deals between them in recent years, including Alex Iwobi and Theo Walcott.

Fuck me 🤦🏼‍♂️

On-loan with an option to buy, this would be a smart move. He may not like playing right-back but he was very good there for Arsenal and he looked good in his preferred central midfield role for West Brom last season. Much better squad option than many we have - it doesn’t exactly fully address the right-back ‘debacle’ but with 4 days left to fix something that has needed fixing for 3 years now - at least it’s a solution of sorts.

Better than no RB cover coming in this window, and versitile - so less likey to see Delph on the pitch!! 

As a few have said, our recent experience of Arsenal cast offs doesn't fill me me with confidence.

With money being a bit tight, loans might be the order of the day, until we make a big sale. 

15 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

But we have a hole that needs filling, yea? If we can’t find the RB of the future this window then a move like this makes a lot of sense.

I don't accept that we have not been able to find a suitable RB replacement in this window. Or the last for that matter. 

A bit like Rondon, he is better than nothing, and the fact he can fill a couple of positions is a bonus. With Coleman though, he will be playing a lot of games and I don't know if I fancy him playing there regularly. He has largely been a last resort full back for Arsenal in the last two seasons and only played in midfield for West Brom. Is that really the best we can do?

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't accept that we have not been able to find a suitable RB replacement in this window. Or the last for that matter. 

A bit like Rondon, he is better than nothing, and the fact he can fill a couple of positions is a bonus. With Coleman though, he will be playing a lot of games and I don't know if I fancy him playing there regularly. He has largely been a last resort full back for Arsenal in the last two seasons and only played in midfield for West Brom. Is that really the best we can do?

Regardless of this specific option I think you have to be pretty cynical to think we aren’t doing the best we can do within our financial restrictions. How would doing otherwise even look? The scouting department comes to Brands with a great option we can afford but he’s out on the golf course instead or maybe just sleeping in? We just don’t know what the actual options are or what the long term plans are. Perhaps we think we will have far more money next window so are hesitant to sign a bargain option for 3-4 years and lock up the position. If you want to be critical of the decisions that are made then that’s fair enough but it’s a stretch to imply we aren’t trying as hard as we can. It’s in everyone’s interest for the club to succeed. 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Regardless of this specific option I think you have to be pretty cynical to think we aren’t doing the best we can do within our financial restrictions. How would doing otherwise even look? The scouting department comes to Brands with a great option we can afford but he’s out on the golf course instead or maybe just sleeping in? We just don’t know what the actual options are or what the long term plans are. Perhaps we think we will have far more money next window so are hesitant to sign a bargain option for 3-4 years and lock up the position. If you want to be critical of the decisions that are made then that’s fair enough but it’s a stretch to imply we aren’t trying as hard as we can. It’s in everyone’s interest for the club to succeed. 

Coleman has needed competition and to be replaced for a number of seasons. This situation hasn't crept up on us. 

For whatever reason, and I am sure there are reasons, we have kicked this can down the road year after year and now we are looking at someone who isn't even a RB in order to provide cover. 

I am sure everyone is trying but that effort certainly hasn't been effective.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Coleman has needed competition and to be replaced for a number of seasons. This situation hasn't crept up on us. 

For whatever reason, and I am sure there are reasons, we have kicked this can down the road year after year and now we are looking at someone who isn't even a RB in order to provide cover. 

I am sure everyone is trying but that effort certainly hasn't been effective.

we've needed a replacement since koeman had cuco martina there.  that's how long we've needed it.  i don't know why Brands is neglecting this position.  Coleman is an everton great no doubt, but he is old and gets injured a lot.