IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) 16th December

dunlopp9987

8 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Every single one of us wrote them off before a ball was kicked against the European Champions. The sort of result that can start to turn a season around. 

Coming back from a goal behind. Benitez has nowhere near lost this dressing room. Cracking performance. If the likes of Digne or other are not up for getting on board with those in the team who will knuckle down then they can jog on.   

Not all of us... 😉

12 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Every single one of us wrote them off before a ball was kicked against the European Champions. The sort of result that can start to turn a season around

Coming back from a goal behind. Benitez has nowhere near lost this dressing room. Cracking performance. If the likes of Digne or other are not up for getting on board with those in the team who will knuckle down then they can jog on.   

Don’t even go there!

5 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Every single one of us wrote them off before a ball was kicked against the European Champions. The sort of result that can start to turn a season around.

Err no, I predicted a 1-2 result.

However a fantastic result, beyond most of our dreams, really impressed by the youngsters, including Gordon who played like a captain, geeing up the other players, won the foul and put a lovely ball in for Branthwaite to knock in to the net. Simms and Dobbin showed more desire than Rondon could ever do, JJK steady and no brain farts ala Seamus. Pickford put in an outstanding performance.

Im happy Sunday is postponed, gives us time to get a few players fit.

We are very, very bad at football but I'm actually pretty proud of the team tonight. We got a result tonight through sheer grit and determination - the players gave absolutely everything for that point. It was a hard-earned point and a deserved one. Yeah, we rode our luck but that set of players together should not be getting anything from the game but they worked as a team and that is why we've taken something from the game.

I don't think the manager should be praised for "choosing" the tactics we employed tonight. Lets be honest, they were the only ones open to him. However, he should be praised for making them work. It was a mish mash of a side on an epic scale.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’m not saying any of them let themselves down , Simms did all that could be expected of him given he had no service but was no better than Rondon either which is kind of the point 

Likewise JJK did ok but would you really have him ahead of Seamus ?

Yes the kids did ok but the only one who has given Rafa food for thought was Branthwaite 

We got a great result because Rafa got his tactics right not because he was forced to play the kids

Probably would.  He's not the answer, but I'd give him a shot instead of Seamus given his horrible form.

I'm really starting to think I never want to see Godfrey at CB again - he just offers to much going forward on the outside with his pace and willingness to run. His left foot is as poor as mine, makes me wonder if he couldn't possibly be the RB we need. Branthwaite was excellent, very calm and great recovery speed. Keane was almost unnoticeable because he just calmly did his job, and not only did Holgate actually remain in the game, he settled and played well. Young strikers did thier job and proved the deserve some minutes. 

Shocking result. I was braced for 4-0, 5-1 even a couple days ago before we had another 4-5 players we scratched. 

Having just pored over the final 20 minutes, I get the feeling that Gordon and Dobbin could become a powerful partnership. It was so frustrating to see Gordon taken off (why not Iwobi?) because he and Dobbin were really beginning to penetrate the Chelsea defence. I really hope they get the chance to start together sometime soon.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Having just pored over the final 20 minutes, I get the feeling that Gordon and Dobbin could become a powerful partnership. It was so frustrating to see Gordon taken off (why not Iwobi?) because he and Dobbin were really beginning to penetrate the Chelsea defence. I really hope they get the chance to start together sometime soon.

Gordon put in a massive shift. Iwobi was just Iwobi but I do agree about Dobbin and Gordon. Dobbin looks a real live wire.

They should all be proud of themselves 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

One other thing.

I'm really glad that the youngsters that came in last night at least showed that they're viable options to come on for more senior players and/or start ahead of them at times. Because I can't help thinking that some of our fans were in part smugly waiting for them to offer not much at all.

Slightly uncharitable! I'm sure 99% of us want Everton to play well and win every game despite arguments over the manager!

If we had been beaten soundly, as most predicted, I can't help thinking that some of our fans would have smugly put it down to Benitez's tactics or his failure to motivate the young players. 😉

Thankfully, the young players did play well so you can hang your cap on that; and the tactics were right and the players were playing for the manager, so I can hang mine up, too. All good!    

37 minutes ago, Formby said:

Slightly uncharitable! I'm sure 99% of us want Everton to play well and win every game despite arguments over the manager!

If we had been beaten soundly, as most predicted, I can't help thinking that some of our fans would have smugly put it down to Benitez's tactics or his failure to motivate the young players. 😉

Thankfully, the young players did play well so you can hang your cap on that; and the tactics were right and the players were playing for the manager, so I can hang mine up, too. All good!    

I’d have been fuming about it but definitely not smug if that had happened. You’ve been around this place long enough to know I’m not one of those fans that particularly cares about being right when I give my opinion. And I definitely do not enjoy being right if I have an opinion about something that negatively impacts Everton.

Also, despite looking forward to the day he fucks off I’m still willing to give the fella credit when he gets things right and don’t just ignore it.

Tbh, my comment would apply to very few, if any, members of TT. You’re all pretty even in your posts for the most part. But you can bet there were some of our fans just waiting to ram it down others throats if the youngsters had failed to produce last night. 

On 17/12/2021 at 14:57, Romey 1878 said:

I’d have been fuming about it but definitely not smug if that had happened. You’ve been around this place long enough to know I’m not one of those fans that particularly cares about being right when I give my opinion. And I definitely do not enjoy being right if I have an opinion about something that negatively impacts Everton.

Also, despite looking forward to the day he fucks off I’m still willing to give the fella credit when he gets things right and don’t just ignore it.

Tbh, my comment would apply to very few, if any, members of TT. You’re all pretty even in your posts for the most part. But you can bet there were some of our fans just waiting to ram it down others throats if the youngsters had failed to produce last night. 

I agree I don’t want Everton to lose games or be in relegation battle but on stats this manager is not getting it right enough of the time to take the club forward. I also think managers should get more time but his run of results is poorer than most and for this club he is a controversial character so why are the board giving this guy more chances than the long list of less  controversial people that came before. I want him gone based on results and toxic atmosphere. He is Big Sam with worse results.