IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

13 hours ago, Matt said:

It would be terminal. We would be forced to sort the books and how do you do that without selling all the best players which isn't conducive to winning. 

Parachute payments for the likes of Norwich, Burnley etc are genuinely helpful for smaller clubs. We've spent like we're the Everton of the 80s without any of the success so we carry so much more risk and debt.

Relegation clauses may be in the recent signings, which is what 5-6 players? Maupay, Gray, Onana, Patterson, McNeil, Tarkowski...  pretty sure Pickfords new deal doesn't include one. 

https://theathletic.com/4283724/2023/03/08/everton-mailbag-relegation-clauses-iwobi-contract-ffp/

Doesn't matter how people want to try to polish this turd, relegation cripples if not kills the club. 

10 hours ago, StevO said:

It’s a myth. They will all have relegation clauses, it’s just standard. They will all take pay cuts, but that will still leave us with a massive wage bill. Our better players will leave anyway, and we’ll still be financially fucked as we owe transfer payments and the club is generally run like shit. We’ll have one season to get back before we go under unless Moshiri can magic some money into the club without breaking any rules. 

Myth or not (I can find a few sources saying its not), as you said were screwed either way

18 hours ago, Matt said:

It would be terminal. We would be forced to sort the books and how do you do that without selling all the best players which isn't conducive to winning. 

Parachute payments for the likes of Norwich, Burnley etc are genuinely helpful for smaller clubs. We've spent like we're the Everton of the 80s without any of the success so we carry so much more risk and debt.

Relegation clauses may be in the recent signings, which is what 5-6 players? Maupay, Gray, Onana, Patterson, McNeil, Tarkowski...  pretty sure Pickfords new deal doesn't include one. 

https://theathletic.com/4283724/2023/03/08/everton-mailbag-relegation-clauses-iwobi-contract-ffp/

Doesn't matter how people want to try to polish this turd, relegation cripples if not kills the club. 

I wouldn't fear selling our best players to be honest. In fact, who even are our best players? It does rely on us signing effective players to replace them which is the bigger issue. These are our biggest earners according to Sportrac:

Abdoulaye Doucouré M 29   £6,240,000 £120,000
Alex Iwobi F 25   £6,240,000 £120,000
Yerry Mina D 27   £6,240,000 £120,000
Dominic Calvert-Lewin F 25   £5,200,000 £100,000
Amadou Onana M 20   £5,200,000 £100,000
Jordan Pickford GK 28   £5,200,000 £100,000
James Tarkowski D 29   £5,200,000 £100,000
Idrissa Gueye M 32   £4,160,000 £80,000
Michael Keane D 29   £4,160,000 £80,000
Ben Godfrey D 24   £4,000,000 £76,923
Mason Holgate D 25   £3,640,000 £70,000
Vitaliy Mykolenko D 22   £3,016,000

£58,000

Pickford is the only one I think is worth the money we are paying.  Alli isn't included in this either.

You are right about the parachute payments, they will be less helpful for us with our payroll but these players will be desperate to stay in the premier league so they are more likely to jump ship given the chance compared to seasons gone by where they are more comfortable picking up an easy payment.

I couldn't access the article and there is no doubt we will be in a really bad way but it doesn't have to be terminal. We will still have one of the best managers in the league who gets a tune out of shite players on peanuts.

It does all rely on Mohsiri continuing to support the club, without that everything folds, but I can't see him walking away after all the money he has invested in the club and without a decent buyer.

Anyway, lets hope this doesn't become a possibility. We can worry about this if it happens, its pointless wasting energy on it now.

The loss to Fulham leaves us royally fooked. Palace and Wolves basically safe. Bournemouth and West Ham need 3-4 points from their remaining 7/8 fixtures. Leicester still scare me. So two of Leeds, us, Forest and Leicester go down. 

Massive fixutres coming up: Leicester-Wolves, Bournemouth-West Ham and Leeds-Leicester. 

27 points from 31 matches leaves us at 33.1 points after 38 matches. 

Shite away 1 (0)
leeds home 3 (
3)
Villa home 3 (0)
Arsenal away 0 (0)
Forest away 1 (1)
brentford home 1 (3)
chelsea away 0 (1)
Spurs home 0 (1)
utd away 0 (0)
fulham home 3 (0)
Palace away 1
Newcastle home 0 
leicester away 1
Brighton away 0
city home 0 
wolves away 1
bournemouth home 3

Original projected points: 36 points
Current projected points: 33 points

Palace got to 36 pts so they're safe. Really didn't see that coming. 

Wolves (13th on 34pts) - Leicester (a), Palace (h), Brighton (a), Villa (h), United (a), Everton (h), Arsenal (a)

Bournemouth (14th on 33pts) - WHU (h), Southampton (a), Leeds (h), Chelsea (h), Palace (a), United (h), Everton (a)

WHU (15th on 31pts) - Bournemouth (a), Liverpool (h), Palace (a), City (a), United (h), Brentford (a), Leeds (h), Leicester (a)

Leeds (16th on 29pts) - Liverpool (h), Fulham (a), Leicester (h), Bournemouth (a), City (a), Newcastle (h), West Ham (a), Spurs (h) 

Everton (17th on 27pts) - Palace (a), Newcastle (h), Leicester (a), Brighton (a), City (h), Wolves (a), Bournemouth (h)

Forest (18th on 27pts) - Liverpool (a), Brighton (h), Brentford (a), Southampton (h), Cheslea (a) Arsenal (h), Palace (a)

Leicester (19th on 25pts) - Wolves (h), Leeds (a), Everton (h), Fulham (a), Liverpool (h), Newcastle (a), WHU (h)

Southampton (20th on 23pts) - Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Newcastle (a), Forest (a), Fulham (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h)

Well you know what I think

anything that can help the team perform better needs to be done. 
travelling to the game in private cars is not good for the togetherness. 
I would still like to know who put a stop to it because it’s done nothing for team spirit. 

1 minute ago, patto said:

Well you know what I think

anything that can help the team perform better needs to be done. 
travelling to the game in private cars is not good for the togetherness. 
I would still like to know who put a stop to it because it’s done nothing for team spirit. 

Dyche presumably; that said players all arrived under their own steam in the Moyes era and there was little wrong with the team spirit in those years

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Dyche presumably; that said players all arrived under their own steam in the Moyes era and there was little wrong with the team spirit in those years

Better players though

people saying Dyche I think if it was him he just done what he was told to do from above because the shit was hitting the fan. 

18 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Leeds pushed the self destruct button tonight, 11 conceded at home in two games won’t do their confidence any good at all. Not getting a result on Saturday could have been worse, 3 points would have been wonderful.

Most enjoyable Liverpool win I’ve seen… didn’t feel horrible cos we needed them to do that to Leeds.  They went off the pitch looking absolutely lost, 11 goals in 2 games, the keeper looks afraid. 

tyler adams injury has hit Leeds hard.

if Leeds had a new manager bounce - that’s completely gone. 

34 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There feels like air of despondency since the Fulham game that has swept over us all, have most resigned themselves to thinking we are going to be relegated, I hope not. 

No, because we're not in the relegation places, it's not the end of the season and form table since Dyche took over has us at 14th, comfortably ahead of the 3 currently below us.

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There feels like air of despondency since the Fulham game that has swept over us all, have most resigned themselves to thinking we are going to be relegated, I hope not. 

I think it’s more the opportunity missed that’s hurting, to pull away from the bottom 3, overhaul Leeds and West Ham, and keep pace with Bournemouth and Palace. Is all still in our own hands, every game is potentially 3 points, we need to turn potential into reality.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

No, because we're not in the relegation places, it's not the end of the season and form table since Dyche took over has us at 14th, comfortably ahead of the 3 currently below us.

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I think it’s more the opportunity missed that’s hurting, to pull away from the bottom 3, overhaul Leeds and West Ham, and keep pace with Bournemouth and Palace. Is all still in our own hands, every game is potentially 3 points, we need to turn potential into reality.

Pleased to hear there is still belief amongst some that we will find away out of this, positivity from the fans has a huge impact on the team. I wasn’t at the game and all though a hugely disappointing result the booing that proceeded the final whistle felt to me like a very negative reaction, which may impact some players in a very negative way, with so few games left can we really afford to harm any belief we have of beating the drop by booing the team, which made me wonder whether sections of the fan base have lost their faith in us staying up. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

It was scary how bad the Fulham game was and how the fans literally had the energy sucked from them.

on the train going past Sandhills a lad confirmed no DCL in squad, Onana out, maupay up front….. at least 10 fans near me just covered their eyes and muttered under their breaths. 

it was an absolute sucker punch and the attitude of the players mirrored that of the fans. 

the loss wasn’t the whole issue - it was the manner of the defeat, and the pitiful tactics by dyche.  If lampard did that team and tactics he would have been getting pelters. 

The worst atmosphere I’ve encountered at a match in many a year. Not the fans fault. It was as if the energy was stolen. 

On 18/04/2023 at 07:49, Palfy said:

Not at all. I don’t think we will. 
Southampton, Leicester, Forest and Leeds are worse than us. I think we finish above them all. 

38 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I think 7 points from the remaining fixtures is the best we can hope for. Draw against Newcastle, win against Leicester, draw against Wolves and win against Bournemouth. 

Realistically though, I think we get 4 points. No fucking clue if that's gonna be enough.

I think that's 8 points. 🤔

I think I might be done... Forest, Leicester and Southampton went for it this weekend, whilst we see out another match with a whimper and no fight. I never thought I'd see Everton relegated in my lifetime, but I honestly can't see us getting over the line this season. I grew up loving the club, it's fanbase, it's community work, it's history, and whilst that can never be erased I just don't see it in the same way anymore. We used to be the plucky team that over acheives due to lack of budget, but teams hated to face because we were well drilled and full of fight and passion (in my lifetime anyway). We're now a club full of overpaid, mismatched players who look defeated and devoid of any fight. The club I love has been run into the ground and it's like watching a family pet in it's last days, I just don't want to see it suffer anymore 😭